Hello guys, first post here. So I've been using an Epiphone limited edition LP with Alnico Classic and Alnico Hot stock pickups to record metal/djent music on the PC directly with Stealthplug. However, I've been finding the sound quality really inadequate for some time now and I've been researching upgrades. So far, I've concluded that upgrading the pickups to Seymour-Duncan's Pegasus/Sentient set, as they are known for their clarity and note separation at high gains and jazzy cleanness of the Sentient, which I really want, and also getting a new interface is the most direct solution. There, I've kind of reached a dead end. My budget for an interface is max 250-260 euros (260-270 dollars), and I've reached 4 equally appalling options. They are
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen
Audient iD14
and Steinberg UR22 mk II. Leaning towards iD14 but the 2i2 Studio set is really appealing.
I've read good reviews about all of them, mostly about the iD14, with the exception of some complaints about the stock preamps of the Scarlett line, which apparently got corrected with the 2nd versions, but 2i4 is still better than 2i2 for some reason etc. This is further complicated by the fact that the iD14 has a 96 kHz resolution, whereas the others have 192, which I assume implies higher quality. As I lack the technical knowledge to understand the finer technical differences between them, and considering I could buy either of these, I guess I have 2 questions:
1) Is it even worth doing this? Is changing the pickups of my Les Paul going to significantly change the quality, or be a waste of good metal pickups, and I should just invest in a better metal guitar first instead?
2) For the purposes of recording guitar with as high quality as possible within this budget, which interface should I get? Or is the interface's quality going to be limited by what pickups I buy/what guitar I use at this low budget-level anyway and either choice is fine? Apologies for sounding so noobish :p
Last edited by Pkmm at Nov 23, 2016,
not an expert on interfaces but in terms of quality often recording to computer different pickups often don't make much if any difference. the amp sims you use have to be able to see the pickups and translate that to the little nuances that make the difference. often digital stuff doesn't do that all to well. I use a Zoom digital 8-track for recording and although it's pretty good (along with my POD) in terms of recording quality they can't really differentiate between my strats that all have different pickups. through my tube amps you can hear it but not when recording so much. the other thing is that unless you have a good soundcard in your computer you efforts may be for naught.
1) resolution - it's completely irrelevant - no one records at 192k - it's a marketing gimmick. The sound quality difference between 44.1k and 96k is imperceptible to most people. The only real advantage to using 96k over 44.1k is that you can get lower latency - but that comes at a cpu cost( your system with choke quicker on larger projects) . Pros record at 44.1k or 96k, or in between, - those are the most common.

2) the id14 and focusrite are both great interfaces . You can't go wrong either way. Between the two i would probably lean towards the id14, but the difference between the two would be minute.
I can't comment on which interface to get, but as reverb66 said, resolution is more of a gimmick. 44.1k is standard, and I doubt you'll hear a difference between it and 48, 96, 192, etc. I personally choose 48k because it's just one step above standard, but there's no reason to really.

Depending in how low you're tuning, the Les Paul might be less than ideal. At a 24.75" scale, you need some pretty thick strings for lower djenty stuff, and you lose some note definition with the proper tension.

I just recently switched out my stock Ibanez pickups for the Pegasus/Sentient set and honestly I don't notice too much of a difference. I also play through my computer most of the time. They're not going to turn your LP into a metal machine. They're just a bit tighter/clearer.

Quote by monwobobbo
the other thing is that unless you have a good soundcard in your computer you efforts may be for naught.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but audio interfaces take the place of your soundcard so having a nice soundcard is irrelevant.
Ignitereverb66 True, I saw a video with Misha Mansoor using the 2i2 and he mentioned that he records at 44.1, and his guitar tones are crystal clear. Guess it really is a gimmick.
monwobobboThat's the problem. I've used demos of Amplitude, Guitar Rig, TH2, BIAS (which is supposed to be the best of the best) etc and I can never get a good tone. There are consistent flaws and lack of note separation with all of them, which is what had made me think that the pickups need to be replaced. Then again, I used a pretty cheap interface.
Last edited by Pkmm at Nov 26, 2016,
Quote by reverb66
1) resolution - it's completely irrelevant - no one records at 192k - it's a marketing gimmick.

Says you
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
I love my 2i4. I don't recommend a 2i2 because if memory serves me correctly it doesn't have a pad.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Prime2515102 says every album and movie/game soundtrack you've ever listened to.
Quote by Pkmm
monwobobboThat's the problem. I've used demos of Amplitude, Guitar Rig, TH2, BIAS (which is supposed to be the best of the best) etc and I can never get a good tone. There are consistent flaws and lack of note separation with all of them, which is what had made me think that the pickups need to be replaced. Then again, I used a pretty cheap interface.

demoes should be your first hint. they don't give their best for free. one thing to keep in mind when recording is to back off the distortion. even with digital recording you get a certain amount of saturation which makes it sound more distorted than it is. I use a POD for recording (into zoom digital 8-track recorder) and end up using far less distortion than I would have though to record. keeps the notes clear and separated though on speedy passages (link to songs in profile)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I love my 2i4. I don't recommend a 2i2 because if memory serves me correctly it doesn't have a pad.

Pretty sure the Gen 2 does.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Check out the Derringer Products Guitar Bullet PMA-10. Its a direct in box for recording , but that's just one of its features. Hands down the best preamp on the market. Its not a toy though , its high-end pro gear.
acmphil2 Account created on November (couple of days ago), currently banned, and every single one of your 7 posts is about strongly recommending this Guitar Bullet PMA-10. I call bullshit. I can barely find anything about it online, though the timing of the total of 4 Youtube videos about it suggest it came out 1 month ago max.
Last edited by Pkmm at Nov 29, 2016,
Quote by Pkmm
acmphil2 Account created on November (couple of days ago), currently banned, and every single one of your 7 posts is about strongly recommending this Guitar Bullet PMA-10. I call bullshit. I can barely find anything about it online, though the timing of the total of 4 Youtube videos about it suggest it came out 1 month ago max.

he got banned for advertising. can't comment on the product.