Hey everyone, I'm mainly a guitar guy, but lately I've been wanting to experiment with basses, I know it's a very different instrument from my shorter scale buddies, but I just want explore a bit, just like when I started playing guitar...
So I'm looking for advice choosing a bass, it'll probably be an used one but keep in mind that I do not reside in the US so ebay and guitarcenter etc. are off the shelf, definitely.
I mainly have access (both economically and geographically) to used basses like SDGR's by Ibanez, Gio's (is there actually a difference? I know how low-end Ibanez Gio is guitar-quality wise but does this translates to basses as well?), but I also may be able to buy an LTD F51, a Rockbass Corvette by Warwick, a Squier (looks like an Affinity series Precision Bass), a Samick (a cheapo, not sure of the model tho), a Peavey Millenium, and that's about it!
I really am into a RHCP and Jamiroquai bass style, I know I might be trying to play way beyond of my league but anyways. I may use it for simple amateur recordings as well but I'm not very picky on that matter. I don't really want to imitate their sounds because I know it would take a great amp and probably active pickups and good preamps or so, I'm just trying to feel comfortable playing a bass so I can see if I like it! But I wouldn't mind if the bass itself sounds nice when played properly!
Just for now I'm gonna be playing through a Peavey bass amp a friend will lend me but I don't know which one exactly

Sorry for the lack of proper bass terminology, I'm really not familiar with basses
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ibanez RG8
Charvel Desolation DX-1 FR
Epiphone G400 PRO
-Yamaha C40M
The basses you mention, Peavey, Ibanez, and Squier are all good, also consider Cort and Yamaha, there are also loads of cheap Precision and Jazz bass copies some of which are brilliant and some awful, loads are re-badged out of the Cort factory and are excellent others cheap Chinese knock offs and not so good. Going for a known brand means re-sale value will be good if you change your mind. There are just so many decent basses out there for little money. There's also quite a lot of stuff in the FAQ's above.

Go for one that plays right, as a guitarist you will be able to run up and down the neck. You can usially eq in a decent sound with any of the above brands but if it feels right then you will pick it up more often. It's hard to go wrong with a P or J bass, there's a reason they are so popular, as a guitarist I suspect you would be happier with a J (Jazz) neck which is thinner in profile than the chunky P neck. Confusingly a lot of genuine Fender and Squier P (Precision) basses have the more popular J neck fitted so if you preferred the thinner neck but the P sound then that wouldn't be hard to find. Just something to look out for.
Quote by Phil Starr
The basses you mention, Peavey, Ibanez, and Squier are all good, also consider Cort and Yamaha, there are also loads of cheap Precision and Jazz bass copies some of which are brilliant and some awful, loads are re-badged out of the Cort factory and are excellent others cheap Chinese knock offs and not so good. Going for a known brand means re-sale value will be good if you change your mind. There are just so many decent basses out there for little money. There's also quite a lot of stuff in the FAQ's above.

Go for one that plays right, as a guitarist you will be able to run up and down the neck. You can usially eq in a decent sound with any of the above brands but if it feels right then you will pick it up more often. It's hard to go wrong with a P or J bass, there's a reason they are so popular, as a guitarist I suspect you would be happier with a J (Jazz) neck which is thinner in profile than the chunky P neck. Confusingly a lot of genuine Fender and Squier P (Precision) basses have the more popular J neck fitted so if you preferred the thinner neck but the P sound then that wouldn't be hard to find. Just something to look out for.

Any recommended Cort and Yamahas to look out for? Thanks for your help!
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ibanez RG8
Epiphone G400 PRO
-Yamaha C40M
I'm totally new to bass as well (mine won't even arrive til Monday). I got it because a friend is learning bass, and after playing with her Ibanez SR250 a little bit, I decided what the heck, let's try one. So I picked up a cheap used SR500 on the Guitar Center website (and paid about the same for it as she did for her new SR250).

From watching various videos of bass reviews, it sounds like the Ibanez SR series is the best bang for the buck, especially in the lower-end stuff. The SR300E got a great review, as did the SR500. I haven't found one on the SR250 yet but it seems nice to me, and sounds good too. She just got hers restrung last weekend with slightly heavier stings and is really enjoying it.

Rob
- 2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Trampas Green / Black
- 2016 Gretsch G5622T Georgia Green
If I was doing it all over, I would not have bought my Jackson CMG. I would have gone Ibanez SR and bought a nicer amp than I did (Though I still like my amp).
The Rockbass Corvette I played felt very good in my hands. Loved the neck. However, I never plugged it in, so I can't comment on tone.

I'd be looking for an Ibby SR500 first, with the Warwick in the back of my mind.
'79 Peavey T-40
'84 Fender Precision Elite II
'87 Peavey Dyna-Bass
'90 Fender HM
'01 Fender Precision Special Deluxe
'04 Fender Dimension

GK 1001RB-II
Traynor YBA 200-2
Peavey 400B
Fender Bassman 400
SWR Workingman's Tower 810
Peavey 215
Quote by sledder
I'm totally new to bass as well (mine won't even arrive til Monday). I got it because a friend is learning bass, and after playing with her Ibanez SR250 a little bit, I decided what the heck, let's try one. So I picked up a cheap used SR500 on the Guitar Center website (and paid about the same for it as she did for her new SR250).

From watching various videos of bass reviews, it sounds like the Ibanez SR series is the best bang for the buck, especially in the lower-end stuff. The SR300E got a great review, as did the SR500. I haven't found one on the SR250 yet but it seems nice to me, and sounds good too. She just got hers restrung last weekend with slightly heavier stings and is really enjoying it.

Rob

I believe I can get a SR250 SR500 are a bit rare to come by without someone buying them immediately

Quote by SovietStar
If I was doing it all over, I would not have bought my Jackson CMG. I would have gone Ibanez SR and bought a nicer amp than I did (Though I still like my amp).

Ok, so 2 votes for Ibanez SR, and -1 for Jackson haha

Quote by deeptubes
The Rockbass Corvette I played felt very good in my hands. Loved the neck. However, I never plugged it in, so I can't comment on tone.

I'd be looking for an Ibby SR500 first, with the Warwick in the back of my mind.

Please bear in mind that this is a Rockbass from the old ones, it says Rockbass in the headstock, I've heard they're not as good as the newer ones with the Warwick logo
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ibanez RG8
Epiphone G400 PRO
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
Ok, so 2 votes for Ibanez SR, and -1 for Jackson haha

I don't know anything about Jackson's new basses,and I don't want to accidentally steer you away from a potentially good product (I simply don't know where Jackson's quality is anymore, but I have to assume the new made in India/China is subpar to my MIJ). I love my bass. I just bought it for the wrong reasons. It had the pointy Jackson headstock, and I loved Megadeth, that is the singular reason I bought it. If I had the benefit of my knowledge now, ten years ago, I would know that for the price, the Ibanez SR are the most comfortable thing I've held in a music store. I've heard bad things about the finish durability though.
I am going to put another vote in for the SR. Very versatile for sound and usually have nice, fast necks. Only drawback is that the necks / fretboards tend to be slimmer which can make playing / learning to slap bass a bit more challenging.
Quote by anarkee
I am going to put another vote in for the SR. Very versatile for sound and usually have nice, fast necks. Only drawback is that the necks / fretboards tend to be slimmer which can make playing / learning to slap bass a bit more challenging.

If I wanted to start with a more classic-vibe bass would you say Soungear is the way to go? I was thinking on a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass, but I do not know how to compare them, aside from playing?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ibanez RG8
Epiphone G400 PRO
-Yamaha C40M
There's always youtube to listen to sound clips, but really, you need to play them both if possible. There is a difference not just in sound but in the necks and the string spacing. You're only going to determine which one is a better fit for you by playing them.

Both basses can dial up a classic bass vibe--also remember that your amp provides a good deal of your overall sound as well into the final equation.
I had a budget Warwick (Corvette 5-string) and I just didn't get on with it.
I'm playing around with a Squier Affibity Precision at the moment and it's ok, but the pickup was weak. In my case I'm trying things out, swapping bits around and so-on, so it's fin efor that.
Another option is to buy a decent bass s/h on the basis (ha ha) that you'll be able to sell it for the same if you decide to move on from it.
An alternative is to buy something scruffy for not a lot, almost as a throwaway.
Quote by prowla
I had a budget Warwick (Corvette 5-string) and I just didn't get on with it.

I wanted a Warwick. They feel and play lovely. I was really excited when I saw their budget line because I figured now was my chance. They felt nothing alike. Their low end felt low end. Shame really. I'd still love a real Warwick, but I can't shell out $1000 for one...
A month or two back I bought a cheap Chinese bass - they seem to do short production runs for wannabe entrepreneurs; well, I put a bid on it just for the fun of it on ebay and nobody outbid me, so I got a new boxed 4-string for under £70; it turns out it is really quite playable (after I did a bit of setting up and shimmed the neck)!
Another +1 to the SRs. Also, no idea how consistent they are, but my first bass was a Columbus Jazz copy from 1976. Heavy, but very good. If you happen to come across one, I'd recommend trying it.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
My first bass was a Columbus Jazz too!
It would be interesting to have a go on one again; one came up on ebay a couple of months ago.
Quote by prowla
A month or two back I bought a cheap Chinese bass - they seem to do short production runs for wannabe entrepreneurs; well, I put a bid on it just for the fun of it on ebay and nobody outbid me, so I got a new boxed 4-string for under £70; it turns out it is really quite playable (after I did a bit of setting up and shimmed the neck)!

That's actually pretty cool, I wouldn't mind buying a Chinese bass, I've never ordered anything from China! But I've been tempted to do so...
Quote by GAPendragon
Another +1 to the SRs. Also, no idea how consistent they are, but my first bass was a Columbus Jazz copy from 1976. Heavy, but very good. If you happen to come across one, I'd recommend trying it.

Would you recommend any model of the SR series? even the lowest end ones? I might be able to snag one up
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ibanez RG8
Epiphone G400 PRO
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
That's actually pretty cool, I wouldn't mind buying a Chinese bass, I've never ordered anything from China! But I've been tempted to do so...

This was a batch someone in the UK had imported, so I just had to drive to the next town to pick it up.
You can spot these basses quite easily; the styling can be anything (I've seen some which look like badly drawn Rickenbacker lookalikes) and they seem to have Music Man style humbucker pickup(s); mine also has 4 individual string bridges rather than a standard single block with 4 saddles.

Not sure if this ebay link will work, but this is it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bass-Guitar-4-string-24-fret-/272423915675?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=dVvZ9UbLOv4ep41FptnzGYMI2sk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It is a cheapie, so it's not going to challenge a real quality machine, but for the money it's pretty amazing.
As an owner of an SR600 (an SR500 with a swamp ash body), I am very happy with the ergonomics, the light weight and the super thin neck. Wizard necks are not my absolute favorite as I tend to prefer Jackson necks on guitars, but for me it works great in a bass application. As a guitar player who uses bass as a recording tool, it does more than well enough.

The Barts are pretty ok too.

They come in a thin oil finish that feels very tactile and organic, but it doesn't protect the guitar all that much and the satin texture wears off very quickly.

Get an SR500 if you're able to snag one used. I got my 600 brand new at a very heavy discount after refunding a cheaper bass I got for xmas. Pretty much bought it for what they go for used.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
^This is the thing. You can usually snag an SR used for great prices and unless the former owner was extremely abusive of the bass, they're a solid deal. My second bass was an SR800 that was less than 500USD. Regret selling that baby
Quote by prowla
My first bass was a Columbus Jazz too!
It would be interesting to have a go on one again; one came up on ebay a couple of months ago.

Nice. I still have mine. Can't play it for very long due to the weight but I like it too much to let it go.

Quote by RiksRiks

Would you recommend any model of the SR series? even the lowest end ones? I might be able to snag one up

I don't know what model I have, honestly. Doesn't completwly match any other I've seen. But I don't think I've never heard a bad thing about any of them.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Quote by GAPendragon
Nice. I still have mine. Can't play it for very long due to the weight but I like it too much to let it go.

Cool - mine was replaced by a Ricky, which I've still got.