Page 1 of 2
So i am about to purchase a new OverDrive for tightening up an already driven amp, and its going to be either a Pro Tone Tosin Abasi signature pedal, or the Maxon OD 808, what do you think, is the price difference justifiable??
EDIT: Tbh not worried about price at all, as long as the Pro Tone is better thats what i am gonna get.
Last edited by oskos2001 at Nov 24, 2016,
Generally speaking if youre just using it to boost an amp and not as a standalone overdrive you probably dont need to splurge on a really fancy OD. Something like a TS or a Maxon probably would be more than enough for that sort of application IMO.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Will there be a difference between them? or not really?, and if i do go for the Maxon, then should i get the normal od 808 or od 808x?
Quote by oskos2001
H4T3BR33D3R Will there be a difference between them? or not really?, and if i do go for the Maxon, then should i get the normal od 808 or od 808x?

I can't really say because I have never tried the Tosin pedal. From what I understand it's a modded TS circuit.

The best thing to do is to try them out and see which you prefer. The OD808x has IIRC a 6db extra volume boost and is also a bit brighter sounding compared to a regular one.

Quote by oskos2001
And are the Maxons even true bypass?

The OD-9 and the OD-820 are.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well i mean, the Tosin is a modded Dead Horse, which is a modded Tube screamer, so yeah. And i mean, iv tried the Pro Tone Jeff Loomis OD. hich is apparently very similar to the Tosin Abasi, so it sounds good i guess, i think i will go for that, even if the difference is minimal, what else should i spend it on? haha
Quote by oskos2001
Well i mean, the Tosin is a modded Dead Horse, which is a modded Tube screamer, so yeah. And i mean, iv tried the Pro Tone Jeff Loomis OD. hich is apparently very similar to the Tosin Abasi, so it sounds good i guess, i think i will go for that, even if the difference is minimal, what else should i spend it on? haha

I mean you could probably buy 2 pedals for the price of that signature pedal but if it's what you want then by all means go for it
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah thats what i was thinking, but, i mean i have all of the pedals i really want/need atm. Next purchase is defo gonna be the Schecter Km-6, but i dont know. Got me all confused now haha. I mean surely theres something good about these pedals if so many artists have sigs there? That beats the standard ts, maxon,etc etc
Quote by oskos2001
Yeah thats what i was thinking, but, i mean i have all of the pedals i really want/need atm. Next purchase is defo gonna be the Schecter Km-6, but i dont know. Got me all confused now haha. I mean surely theres something good about these pedals if so many artists have sigs there? That beats the standard ts, maxon,etc etc

Well in that case, you have a goal (a new guitar) so I would just get a TS or a Maxon and keep the rest of the cash so you can start saving for that.

I mean you have to remember that these companies are giving these big guitar players free stuff so they can toss their names on it and mark it up to consumers. The companies put the names on the pedals cause they know a certain group of people will buy it even if the pedal its basically a clone because 'so and so uses it' when a lot of the time 'so and so' just endorses it for cash and still uses their old setups.

Keep in mind I haven't tried a pedal and was more of a general statement with signature gear. With a lot of it, you are paying for the name and not necessarily a better pedal (with exceptions of course).
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R yea ofc, i mean the thing that really intrigued me was the bass filter, which actually seems pretty useful, and then the True Bypass too.
Quote by oskos2001
H4T3BR33D3R yea ofc, i mean the thing that really intrigued me was the bass filter, which actually seems pretty useful, and then the True Bypass too.

I mean fair enough if it has features that you want that you can't find elsewhere, I was just offering up some other options. One thing I will say though is if you're thinking true bypass is always better, that really isnt the case and has more to do with where you're placing the pedal in your chain as well as what other pedals you are running as well IIRC.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R Tbh, all i run is a noise gate, tuner and od in the front, and a delay and verb in the back.
the od808 is a ts10, not an 808: http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm (scroll down to the bit about "maxon pedals")

i'm with H4T3BR33D3R- i haven't tried those specific pedals but if you're only using them as a boost i'm not sure they're worth it. put the money into a better guitar or amp or something like that. if they have features you need (be aware, cheap true bypass tubescreamer clones exist), then that's fair enough, but even on the cheaper end of things there are "improved" ts-style pedals available if you need more low end, more output volume etc.

fwiw once you hit around 20 feet of cable you'll notice tone sucking if you don't use a buffer. even with those pedals i would guess you're hitting that amount of cabling pretty easily. which tuner and noisegate are you using, though? they may well be buffered already, in which case getting a true bypass one might be a decent enough idea. i haven't tried it but the ibanez ts mini (if you just need a bog standard ts) seems to be well-regarded, seems to be made in japan, and costs enough to feel like you're not cheaping out but also feel like you're not getting fleeced...

EDIT: it's also worth noting as well that if you're using it as a boost, mods or improvements are often designed to make it sound better as a standalone overdrive. more output volume will help it as a boost, but more low end (for example) may well do more harm than good.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 24, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
the od808 is a ts10, not an 808: http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm (scroll down to the bit about "maxon pedals")

i'm with H4T3BR33D3R- i haven't tried those specific pedals but if you're only using them as a boost i'm not sure they're worth it. put the money into a better guitar or amp or something like that. if they have features you need (be aware, cheap true bypass tubescreamer clones exist), then that's fair enough, but even on the cheaper end of things there are "improved" ts-style pedals available if you need more low end, more output volume etc.

fwiw once you hit around 20 feet of cable you'll notice tone sucking if you don't use a buffer. even with those pedals i would guess you're hitting that amount of cabling pretty easily. which tuner and noisegate are you using, though? they may well be buffered already, in which case getting a true bypass one might be a decent enough idea. i haven't tried it but the ibanez ts mini (if you just need a bog standard ts) seems to be well-regarded, seems to be made in japan, and costs enough to feel like you're not cheaping out but also feel like you're not getting fleeced...

EDIT: it's also worth noting as well that if you're using it as a boost, mods or improvements are often designed to make it sound better as a standalone overdrive. more output volume will help it as a boost, but more low end (for example) may well do more harm than good.

See thats what i want to know, how big is the low end cut on the maxon od808x, and how much mids does it add?
spending stupid money on a Tubescreamer based pedal seems pretty silly to me. I currently have 2 and neither cost much more than $100 new. for metal type stuff the Digitech Cm-2 works great has a better EQ setup and if used as a standalone pedal has the option for more gain so big win either way. my other is a T-Rex Crunchy Frog which has a separate clean boost built in. it seems to be a bit more touch sensitive so I like to use it for more bluesy stuff. anyways if you are looking for a TS style pedal to tighten things up they all pretty much do that just fine. for practice I use an Eno Music OD-9 which is just a TS-9 clone in mini pedal form from china (ie cheap). works fine and if I had to gig with it it wouldn't bother me much.
Quote by oskos2001
See thats what i want to know, how big is the low end cut on the maxon od808x, and how much mids does it add?

no idea, i haven't tried it

not sure what circuit the x version is, either- the 808 i was talking about was the standard maxon od808

and yeah the ns2 is buffered, if you have it in front of your amp you probably won't need another buffered pedal.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

If you're only using the pedal as a clean boost then there's really no need to spend so much on those sig pedals. Signature pedals are very much a marketing tool and you're paying extra for that markup in royalties and not so much because you're getting a better quality pedal to play on. If you want one for the unique features it might have, then fair enough. But most Tubescreamer-type pedals don't really have very much in the way of unique features. You'd do just as well with many other cheaper alternatives, especially if you're using it just as a clean boost.

If you have an effects pedal that is buffered before the overdrive, then true bypass won't do any harm. But if you don't, I suggest getting something buffered.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Hmmm, so essentially it is not worth it and im better going for the bog standard 808 vs 808x? I mean these cost pretty much the same (£99 and £105 respectively). From what iv gathered the x has more clarity and more gain compared to the standard version?
oskos2001

clarity not so much gain yes. if used as a boost though more gain is a mote point as you turn the gain down to almost 0 anyways.
Exactly, so its kinda pointless i guess, i mean its advertised as higher frequency so more note clarity etc etc, meh. Its still a hard decision, the only thing thats drawing me in is the fact that the Pro Tone has that bass filter on it, and plus it is only like £50 more.
Quote by oskos2001
Exactly, so its kinda pointless i guess, i mean its advertised as higher frequency so more note clarity etc etc, meh. Its still a hard decision, the only thing thats drawing me in is the fact that the Pro Tone has that bass filter on it, and plus it is only like more.

I mean if you really want the pedal then go for it but IMO a TS clone with Tosin's name and a bass filter isn't worth £50 more than a Maxon, let alone a regular TS.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
I dont care for Tosin much haha, just the bass filter. Also, apparently the Pro Tones are made so that the knobs essentially double that of other overdrives, so for example if the volume is at 10 on a ts, then it is at 5 on a Pro Tone, or atleast thats what they claim. I think i might get it as pretty much all of my favourite artists use them and its something a bit different than the regular fleet/hoarde of Maxons and Ts'.
Well I mean it seems like you have your mind made up at this point anyway. You seem to want the pedal so go for it.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R Agh sorry, i hate people who create threads and have their mind made up anyways (hypocrite haha). But i am always in a perpetual state of confusion, its just that there is so much stuff available. And not going to lie, i haven't really made up my mind yet. And what do you guys think of the airis effects overdrives? they're handmade in Canada and apparently they're great too.
I have never used them. From the gut shots I have seen of the Savage they seem to be made well. I can't speak on how they sound.

Are you just looking for obscure brands for the sake of having something different?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
No, of course not. Im just going by reviews and stuff, for example Glenn Fricker (of Spectre media group) says the savage drive is the best od he has ever played, others say protone smashes all ts and maxon overdrives. Im just curious.
Quote by oskos2001
No, of course not. Im just going by reviews and stuff, for example Glenn Fricker (of Spectre media group) says the savage drive is the best od he has ever played, others say protone smashes all ts and maxon overdrives. Im just curious.

I know of him but to be fair, I don't think he is a guitar player and mostly gets other guys in to play so you should keep that in mind. Plus he was probably just given the thing to demo so he probably doesn't really care to find out if its an overpriced clone or if something else is better because that isn't the purpose of his channel. Either way, the savage is obviously different to a TS since the savage is supposed to emulate the sound of an ENGL Savage so its nowhere close to the pedals we're talking about. I just mentioned the savage because I remember seeing a shot of the guts before. It looks well built though I might take a risk on one if that was the sound I wanted.

For me, I would need the context and what exactly is the reason those Protones smash regular stuff. I want gut shots and other things so I can actually see if this thing is worth the cash cause the last thing I want to do is spend 250 bucks on what is essentially a 50 dollar pedal with a 20 dollar mod in a fancy enclosure, you know what I mean?

There have been situations where people have been convinced they have the best sounding OD, better than any mass-production pedal etc... only for the guts to come out later and people find out it was just a cheap OD with a few changes and a fancy case or even worse, exactly the same pedal, just gooped and overpriced. Check out Vemuram and their Jan Ray (overpriced Timmy clone), Vertex and their Wah (rehoused BBE Ben-Wah), Freakish Blues Alpha Drive (a rehoused Joyo pedal).
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Haha yea, and i just saw, the black Friday sales are on, so the Tosin is 199, and the essential dead horse is only 119$, which is less than the maxon. But apparently the dead horses have a very flat eq, and are more mellow than the others such as attack od or the Tosin.
And if i do get the Pro Tone, i would happily send you gut shots if you so wished.
Quote by oskos2001
Haha yea, and i just saw, the black Friday sales are on, so the Tosin is 199, and the essential dead horse is only 119$, which is less than the maxon. But apparently the dead horses have a very flat eq, and are more mellow than the others such as attack od or the Tosin.

I mean, like we mentioned since you're just using it as a boost in the front, it probably won't matter as much compared to if you're using it as a standalone pedal but if you feel like the Tosin is hitting all the right notes for you and it's on sale, that's probably the pedal to go for. You'll probably be thinking about it if you don't at least find out for yourself anyway!

Quote by oskos2001
And if i do get the Pro Tone, i would happily send you gut shots if you so wished.

That would be cool. I'm sure more than myself would love some for reference.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Crappy little SS amp and need to compensate with a peddle huh? Sorry to here that,
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 24, 2016,
H4T3BR33D3R So after like 10 secs of wandering the web i found this http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=300228 I mean it seems decent,what do you think? And if the Essential dead horse is less than the Maxon i might go for that now haha. But if you were in my position which would you choose, Tosin, Essential dead horse or the od 808 (normal or x).
Quote by oskos2001
H4T3BR33D3R So after like 10 secs of wandering the web i found this http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=300228 I mean it seems decent,what do you think? And if the Essential dead horse is less than the Maxon i might go for that now haha. But if you were in my position which would you choose, Tosin, Essential dead horse or the od 808 (normal or x).

You're a bit more versed on the Protones than me tbh.

As for what I would do, I mean if you're looking at getting what Tosin uses I'd go with a Dead Horse if you like that sound. If you want a nice boost and still have some change left over for other things then I would go Maxon and if you want something fancy with cool features you like, go for the Tosin.

As for normal vs X they are both going to sound pretty close even though they say the X is a bit clearer. The bigger difference is if you need a bigger volume boost because the OD808x has an extra 6db boost over the regular 808 IIRC.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 24, 2016,
nastytroll I have 2 amps. A Randall RD20H and an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. Pretty sure that is not a little SS amp but ok
H4T3BR33D3R Well i mean with the essential dead horse il have more left than with the Maxon haha, so now i just have to decide.
Quote by oskos2001
H4T3BR33D3R Well i mean with the essential dead horse il have more left than with the Maxon haha, so now i just have to decide.

Yeah well once you've decided be sure to let us know what you pick up and good luck on your hunt
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Well thanks a lot for your help dude, your Amazing! good luck to you too
Page 1 of 2