Hi guys. I am building a custom guitar for a project and I am having trouble choosing the proper wood for the guitar. I have read extensively about this and have yet to find something useful. These are the stats for the guitar:

- Neck-through, 24 frets
- Maple neck, Ebony fretboard
- Floyd Rose Non-Fine Tuner Floating Trem
- Locking tuners
- Jackson RR-style
- 25" scale length

I had originally wanted to make the body hard ash, considering it has a harsh tone proper for distorted rock. However, I realized that it may provide too many high frequencies when partnered with the maple neck, so here I am searching for a good wood. If you think that hard ash may do the job just let me know.

I think I have given you guys enough info regarding the instrument. If you need any more info, just let me know. Thanks guys.
if it's neck-thru i'm not sure it's going to make a ton of difference, the neck wood (if wood even affects tone at all) will make the bigger difference, especially considering you have a trem on there.

i'm not saying i'd make the wings out of papier-mache but i'm not sure i'd try to get some difficult-to-source (or expensive) exotic wood if you can get something decent (say alder, mahogany or regular or swamp ash) more easily and more cheaply.

unless you're getting a seethru finish, in which case you might be willing to pay more for fancy figuring in the wood since it looks nice.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

It isn't going to make a difference what you use so long as its structurally sound.

Just use whatever looks pretty.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Ironwood?

At least where highly-modified sounds (eg OD, distortion)are concerned I don't think that potential tone wood effects matter at all. I personally would put the highest priority on light weight.