So I keep having this issue with every single one of my mixes - when I am mixing in my studio, my kick balance sounds perfect at low volumes and high volumes.

Then, when I render it and listen to the mix in the car, the kick is always too loud / kind of sounds more like somebody hitting a microphone with their hand (very bassy/thumpy), as opposed to having a nice snap but sitting just right in the mix.

Heres an example of what I'm talking about; let me know if you can hear what Im talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lh0w5p4apiar5wn/Here%20Screaming.mp3?dl=0

The simple solution you would imagine would be to just turn the kick volume down or cut the lows on the kick. But when I do that, it seems to screw up the overall balance of the mix, and then when I re-master and adjust my final limiter, I end up right where I started.

Its frustrating, because it sounds fine in my room but I notice it RIGHT AWAY when I listen in my car or something. Im suspecting that it has something to do with my mastering, but im not sure. Can anybody help me?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Okay, so the reason you're having trouble is that there's likely a null of that frequency in your mix position. You could likely deal with it via room treatment. It sounds fine in your room because that frequency is being attenuated.

You need to invest in absorption. Either build your own or buy some panels from ATS Acoustics.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Okay, so the reason you're having trouble is that there's likely a null of that frequency in your mix position. You could likely deal with it via room treatment. It sounds fine in your room because that frequency is being attenuated.

You need to invest in absorption. Either build your own or buy some panels from ATS Acoustics.

I have bass traps in all of the corners of the room ( LENRDs) and they didnt do shit; there is no noticeable change whatsoever in the sound whether they are there or not. I also have 4incj thick panels of owens corning 703 that ive tried arranging in different places, but that hasnt done jack either.

My speakers are jbl lsr 308s. I have tried putting them in every place imaginable in my room and ive changed listening positions inumerous times. I have literally tried setting up on all 4 walls of the room. My room is 15'x11'x7' (LxWxH)

Im legit about to sell my house lol. My guitar amps sound like ass in here too, because the bass really isnt well represented
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

As a rule of thumb, about 2/3rds of your room should be absorbant. Add more absorption.

Also, I'd say the limiter on your master bus is working harder than it should. How much is your kick peaking at compared to your RMS level?
Quote by Watterboy
I have bass traps in all of the corners of the room ( LENRDs) and they didnt do shit; there is no noticeable change whatsoever in the sound whether they are there or not. I also have 4incj thick panels of owens corning 703 that ive tried arranging in different places, but that hasnt done jack either.

My speakers are jbl lsr 308s. I have tried putting them in every place imaginable in my room and ive changed listening positions inumerous times. I have literally tried setting up on all 4 walls of the room. My room is 15'x11'x7' (LxWxH)

Im legit about to sell my house lol. My guitar amps sound like ass in here too, because the bass really isnt well represented

Found your problem. Those bass traps aren't doing jack. Also consider helmholtz resonator style traps. You can build them out of concrete forms you can get at home depot for super cheap.

Also, more absorbers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Found your problem. Those bass traps aren't doing jack. Also consider helmholtz resonator style traps. You can build them out of concrete forms you can get at home depot for super cheap.

Also, more absorbers.

Do you have a link for the tutorial, sir?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by dead-fish
As a rule of thumb, about 2/3rds of your room should be absorbant. Add more absorption.

Also, I'd say the limiter on your master bus is working harder than it should. How much is your kick peaking at compared to your RMS level?

How do you mean? What kind of absorbers? 2 inch thick foam panels on walls? Or thicker? Are we talking about broadband absorbers or something else? Thanks!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by oneblackened

Also, more absorbers.

These are what I have: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LENRD8CHA?product_id=%7Bproduct_id%7D&adpos=1o2&creative=54989966161&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA39_BBRD0w-_rmOrc__8BEiQA-ETxXQFaksbUXwuF2FbZ0gxkVzBDkgJejkvWfZNlLn8neEoaAuH78P8HAQ
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

You'll get better low end absorption just by hanging those 703 panels across your corners. Seriously, those open cell foam traps do absolutely nothing worthwhile.

As far as making the helmholtz resonators: no, I don't. I was taught how to do it by a teacher. You can basically tune them by moving a piece of styrofoam insulation up or down the tube to change the depth. If you want to add absorbent material, go for it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 25, 2016,
Load an RTA app and feed it with a flat condenser mic. Now record several positions in your mix room especially at your listening position and see what gives. I suspect these guys are right and you have serious bass node/null depending on position. Try mixing with just a pair of quality headphones and compare your mix to a well known pro track that sounds the way you want your kick to sound. A/B comparison is the best way for me to get consistently good mixes in my schlocky home demo studio with cheap-azz monitors.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 25, 2016,
Quote by Watterboy
How do you mean? What kind of absorbers? 2 inch thick foam panels on walls? Or thicker? Are we talking about broadband absorbers or something else? Thanks!

2 inch thick foam panels (should by fairly high density, can't help you much with specs in this area, consult google over acoustic foam properties) spaced between 5 to 15 cm (about 2" to 6") from your wall. The size and number of panels depends on the size of your room, but you can't have too much absorption. It's a fairly simple build too, you just need a frame for it and hangers which will allow that space between the wall and the panel. I don't have a specific tutorial, but any local carpenter will be able to help you with this.

Might as well keep those foam corners, they might not do much but they don't hurt.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
So I built this little enclosure using my LENRDs and my OC 703 panels. I haven't mixed anything yet; but I notice when I sit down inside of the enclosure (my head is underneath the panel that is acting like a 'cloud'), the sound changes noticeably to a bit deeper, darker and smoother. Very nice.

I was looking at quarter wavelengths and I really believe that it is the dimensions of my room (11'x15'x7') that are wrecking havoc on my sound; waves everywhere from 150hz to 60hz are variably decimated by the width and height particularly badly. We will see how this works, until I get some more money to buy more panels and stuff.

Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

The 7' ceiling isn't helping things.

hell it's almost too low to even bother with a cloud.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
The 7' ceiling isn't helping things.

hell it's almost too low to even bother with a cloud.

Yea, my little shelter there didn't really work. It smoothed things out a bit because it got rid of a lot of the high reflections, but the low end is still just missing - it makes it terribly hard to mix :/
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Maybe just learn to live with a pair of headphones for reference and get used to...

Man, overall, I haven't seen so many weird solutions and as many problems in one place as you've represented through the years...I remember you had a Colorado legalized substance that was affecting your mixes, you sure that is not the case again?