Hello,

I've been playing fingerstyle guitar for six years. That said, I only ever had one guitar: a $70 Maestro that I got from Best Buy--and it's time for an upgrade. Since I finally saved up enough money to buy a decent guitar (price range: $300-$500), which one should I get for my style of playing? I never use picks, and I always throw in percussive sounds in my playing. I would also prefer a cutaway so it's easier to play the higher notes. As for the body size, nothing too big is fine with me, though nothing too small either. The nearest guitar store in my town is 45 minutes away so I at least want to get an idea of what I should be looking out for.

Thanks!
I'm a fingerpicker, and I can and do play almost anything, provided I have set it up myself, so I don't like to pigeonhole guitars as good for that style or not, but there are a few general things I would consider:

Some fingerpickers prefer a 1 3/4" nut to the more common 1 11/16".
Cedar tops often work very well for fingerpicking, where you don't need the headroom necessary for heavy-handed flatpicking.
A good set up will often work wonders for playability, so budget to have that done.
Quote by Tony Done
. . . . I'm a fingerpicker, and I can and do play almost anything, provided I have set it up myself, so I don't like to pigeonhole guitars as good for that style or not . . . . . . .

Exactly the same here ^ ^ ^ ^

But if it's any help my go-to steel string guitar is a Recording King ROS-16. It is a 000 parlour, 48mm wide neck, 12 fret-to-the-body. The ROS-16 has a chunky vintage V neck which I like but lots of people don't. But they also do the ROS-06 model which has a traditional C profile neck. And they fall right in your budget range.

http://www.recordingking.com/guitars/ros06

http://www.recordingking.com/guitars/ros16
If you must get a new guitar, and I can understand the sentiment after years of playing a beginner guitar, then I'd recommend Taylor guitars. The Taylor BigBaby is fantastic for the price ($429 on Amazon), and you can often find them used for $200-$250 on Craigslist.

I wish you'd up your range just a little. For $599 you can get a brand new Taylor 114ce....it blows everything in it's price range out of the water, in my opinion. If you want the cutaway model, it'll cost you about $150 extra. Plus it comes with a nice pickup so you can play plugged in , if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-114e-Grand-Auditorium-Electronics/dp/B0195ELCN0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1480092241&sr=8-1&keywords=Taylor+114e
TobusRex

I'm not very familiar with acoustic electric guitars. Can they be played without getting plugged in?
Quote by teddyboy1999
TobusRex

I'm not very familiar with acoustic electric guitars. Can they be played without getting plugged in?
Yes, and with no penalty in sound.

Some people claim non cutaway models sound "better". IMHO, both cut and non cut models sound a bit different. A slight advantage in bass goes to the non cutaway models, but some extra clarity and brightness favors a cutaway. In either case, the difference is very slight.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an acoustic I couldn't plug in. I use amps to extend the bass and mask some of the excess brightness of 12 strings, and also lots of ambiance effects like reverb, delay, and chorus. Recently I've gotten into Electro Harmonix guitar synthesizers suca as their "Pithcfork (octave multiplier), their "Mel9" which introduces the sound of the ancient Mellotron,and I hope to grab myself their "B9" which synthesizes the sound of 9 famous organs, using no special pickups
Have a look a breedlove guitars.. Im not a fingerpicker but really love mine.. I've heard they are designed for finger styles. Very well made guitars for the price.