Is playing some licks is sound cooler to non musician?

I can't play solo without messing up. Playing a solo from song is not cool according to me. Playing licks might sound cools but I never learn to play any licks at all!

So, How do you show off people skills? Me, Playing power chords and everyone tell me to shut up.
graves, I think you misunderstood the point ^^ Or maybe you're reading between the lines and answering the TS's silent scream for help?

I don't show off my guitar skills, I play bass.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
sosxradarMany non-musicians listen more to vocals, lyrics ... all depends on genre though. For some, they are impressed by speed, others by feel and note choice, others by sound. It's more likely they'll be unimpressed by you straying from genre cliches.
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
People will most likely be impressed if you learn to play the original solo (even though you don't think that's "cool"). Nobody really cares if you improvise your own solo or play somebody else's solo. Actually, most people may not even know the difference between improvisation and playing somebody else's solo.

Many times people may even be more impressed if they hear something that they are familiar with. And it's always better to play the original solo of the song well than to improvise your own solo that doesn't sound good. Remember that you need to practice improvisation to become good at it. Learning other people's solos will help you with coming up with your own solos.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Generally speaking playing solos and general guitar-wanking is a sure fire way to lose the attention of a potential non-guitar playing audience.

If you want people to be impressed play some songs they know, and ideally sing them as well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I play Potrait of Tracy and the panties drop.
Then you need to replace the elastic in your waistband.
(And do you have to wear those old things on stage anyway??)
Quote by sosxradar
Is playing some licks is sound cooler to non musician?
No.
Quote by sosxradar

Me, Playing power chords and everyone tell me to shut up.
Right!

To impress a non-musician, forget about "showing off guitar skills". Sing some songs. Look cool and sexy.
you don't want to impress guitarists. they're disgusting creatures
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Quote by Hail
Actually I think he was asking about impressing non-musicians.

Ah, OK....

My mate TK is a very good pub band-style guitarist, and his view is that for audience appreciation you only need to play the familiar phrases (hooks) of a song to connect with the audience. The rest can be pretty much improv, but excessive self-indulgence will soon lose them.
Quote by jongtr
Actually I think he was asking about impressing non-musicians.

Ah, OK....

<3
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Quote by Hail

well...whenever someone sees me holding a guitar and ask if I'm in the band..I say.." ohh no.. I'm just a roadie " permission is granted to one and all to use this line..it saves time trouble and possible law suites..
play well

wolf
Not many non-musicians will understand your guitar skills if there are any, people like when you are singing and not messing up with rhythm, that is the key to success in non-musicians audience.
Quote by cdgraves
Yeah it's weird when people try to talk to me at gigs. Wedding guests are reliably above 90% annoying.
I always remember the woman at one function who came up and tried to ask our singer a question - while she was singing. Some people just have no idea what "live music" is. I guess she imagined we were all miming.
Quote by jongtr
I always remember the woman at one function who came up and tried to ask our singer a question - while she was singing. Some people just have no idea what "live music" is. I guess she imagined we were all miming.

oh yeah, that shit happens all the time - song requests, stage announcements, random gripes. As much as I hate doing tear-down on stage risers, they are the best way to avoid unwanted interactions (that and a clear path to the dressing room). Although there was one gig where like 20 people jumped up on our flimsy stage all at once.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 27, 2016,
If a woman approach me, Do I need to play solo or sing a song?

It happen every time when I have guitar in my hand that it's both men and women approach me and ask me to play them a song. And what I've learnt so far is Metallica song, lul.
sosxradar If a woman approaches you sod the guitar and go for a coffee with her
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sosxradar
If a woman approach me, Do I need to play solo or sing a song?

It happen every time when I have guitar in my hand that it's both men and women approach me and ask me to play them a song. And what I've learnt so far is Metallica song, lul.
They want a song they recognise, that's all. And better to have a great voice than great guitar chops - unless they're doing the singing for you.
Trouble is, if you ask them what they want, they'll almost certainly suggest a song you don't know.
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 28, 2016,
Quote by cdgraves
oh yeah, that shit happens all the time - song requests, stage announcements, random gripes. As much as I hate doing tear-down on stage risers, they are the best way to avoid unwanted interactions (that and a clear path to the dressing room). Although there was one gig where like 20 people jumped up on our flimsy stage all at once.
That sounds like a great gig!

But it also reminds me of my favourite Noel Murphy joke: "Nothing wrong with a quiet audience. Unless they're moving towards you."
More often than not I'm not trying to show off my skills as much as I enjoy just noodling on the guitar or writing songs or playing songs I've written. I will say, though, that it does feel good to be complimented on something I really enjoyed creating or am currently creating. It's not my mission - I'd play guitar regardless of if I get recognition for it. It's reward is the joy of playing. Recognition is icing on the cake, really.
The best way to impress anyone is play well at whatever level you play. When you try to show off you will invariably play something that only you think is difficult and 9 out of 10 times you'll just flub it anyway and sound lame.

I agree with those who commented that the audience hears the vocals first and foremost. The shame is a lot of very good players don't spend enough time developing good vocals. I believe great vocals trump guitar wanking 99% of the time at least as far as the audience is concerned. I can't count the number of times I have walked into a club and hear a decent band with horrible vocals. It doesn't matter how well you play if your bands vocals suck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by jongtr
That sounds like a great gig!

But it also reminds me of my favourite Noel Murphy joke: "Nothing wrong with a quiet audience. Unless they're moving towards you."

oh yeah it was fun, but the stage had been built on uneven ground already, so we were all kinda cringing at each other hoping it held together. It's nice when people get into the show like that, but when there's no stage riser, random drunk people will just start walking up and stepping on your gear and stuff. At one floor-level gig some unsupervised toddler kept walking through the stage and unplugged my pedalboard twice.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 28, 2016,
Skills? Really? Dude if you cant dazzle them with brilliance, Baffle them with Bull Shit, Come on man get on the right page here,
I impress people by playing with my band infront of them. They tend to be less impressed if we haven't practiced.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud