So first off I'd like an amp that would be compatible with my Fender Baja Telecaster, and the electric capabilites of my Taylor T5z. I mainly like to play rock (Cage the Elephant, Led Zeppelin) but also a bit lighter stuff (Elliott Smith, Lindsey Buckingham). I believe Elliott used a Vox and some other random brand (King Royale?) This will be my first "nice amp" (I plan to spend between $500 and $1k), I also have a Fender Mustang II (what's everyone's thoughts on that one?) In the budget I would like to allow for decent size speakers, whether it be a combo or a cab. Wattage isn't so much an issue, as long as I'm able to gig with it in a decent sized venue. Any suggestions on which amps to get and where to look?
Last edited by tjr2014 at Nov 25, 2016,
This is pretty open ended. Can you play a bunch of things before buying?

I'd say offhand:

Peavey Classic 30
Peavey ValveKing
Marshall DSL40
Mesa F-30, Studio, .22
I'm sure there are some Fenders that would do it.

What emulations do you use on the Mustang? What do you like and dislike about them?

If you are willing to buy used, for $1,000 I'd buy the best Mesa I could find.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
A good used Mesa is hard to beat for pro quality gear that is very versatile. F30 and Studio 22 are great working musician amps. Vox AC30 or Fender Supersonic may also float your boat.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
electric amps often aren't ideal for acoustic guitars even those with electric abilities. tough to eq if you would be switching back and forth between the acoustic and an electric guitar. also a bit of a sonic difference between some of what you have listed. a Vox AC-15 might work though although it would be a bit of a compromise. the Mesa amps alrady mentioned would be good choices as well.
I have a jvm210, you can get anything from chili peppers to Metallica. You could probably pick one up for 900, but you will need a cab, or I think they have a combo.