Page 1 of 2
I already own a epiphone sg pro guitar that cost me 350 dollars which I love. I also own a 120 dollar mustang 1 v2 amp. I have been looking at the schecter demon 6 guitar which I really really want but I'm not sure if it would be more sensible to buy the micro dark amp (I play mostly metal and heavy rock) because I might need the amp more than I want that guitar. I can only afford one and I just need some advice as to what you think I should do.
I think the guitar you have is more than adequate for right now, get the amp fist, I think you will be glad you did.
Diatribes I am an impatient man lol I did them both at once to get the most advice. I'm sorry lol
Diatribes I just signed up today so I didn't know but I could see why. Did you see my comment on the other one to you guys though?
All the guitar in the world doesn't substitute for a crappy amp, Oh and just a heads up, That Orange is a crappy amp too. One trick pony 8 inch speaker having wanna be tube amp, Look for something with a 12
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 25, 2016,
Quote by nastytroll
All the guitar in the world doesn't substitute for a crappy amp, Oh and just a heads up, That Orange is a crappy amp too. One trick pony 8 inch speaker having wanna be tube amp, Look for something with a 12

Nah -- buy this and let it sit under your one trick pony 8" speaker having wanna be tube amp: http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/LF800.htm
It'll satisfy nastytroll's suggestion that you have a 12" speaker, it'll give you 600W RMS worth of additional and somewhat serious power in the bottom regions and, if you hide it somewhere, it'll have people wondering how you do that with a one trick pony 8" speaker having wanna be tube amp.

Quote by dspellman
Nah -- buy this and let it sit under your one trick pony 8" speaker having wanna be tube amp: http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/LF800.htm
It'll satisfy nastytroll's suggestion that you have a 12" speaker, it'll give you 600W RMS worth of additional and somewhat serious power in the bottom regions and, if you hide it somewhere, it'll have people wondering how you do that with a one trick pony 8" speaker having wanna be tube amp.

Oh yea this kid has $1200 bucks to drop on a powered monitor, He's looking at $300 dollar amps fer Christ sakes, Spend $200 and get one of the new Boss Katana 50w 1x12's , Aint tried one myself but they're getting killer reviews so far, Myself? Yea I have some pretty serious gear, I can roll in at about 2330w passive with the high end speakers to back them up
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 25, 2016,
Quote by Diatribes
nastytroll
Holy sh*t 2330 watts.
Impressive.
Show some pics brutha!

2000w powered mixers are not uncommon brother, Overkill in many cases but not uncommon, Actually my kid and his band have been using it along with a few of the monitors as of late, He's actually been using my old Kustom Double Cross head and 412b Coupe too, I could have added another 100w If I thought about it, But I aint seen that amp in awhile, But then again I figure its all going to be his someday anyway, Made to be played so if I'm not then at least someone is, That's my way of looking at it, I really don't have a lot of photos, But here's what I have, feel free to look around,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615170@N07/25635569130/in/dateposted-friend/
I dig the top on that red strat. And that other red guitar, interesting. What is it?
And 2000+ watts makes my ears bleed just lookin at it.
Beats my 250w pushin a 400w 4x12!
Quote by Diatribes
I dig the top on that red strat. And that other red guitar, interesting. What is it?
And 2000+ watts makes my ears bleed just lookin at it.
Beats my 250w pushin a 400w 4x12!

Red Strat? I hate Strat's, You mean that Agile? That's my kids. Interceptor Pro 625 EMG FR Nice guitar if your a shredder, The black one with the red pick guard? Oh my! What a nasty little bitch she is, I'm not sure you really want to know, lets just say its a copy of an old Supro/Airline JB Hutto with a nasty twist,
Quote by nastytroll

Orange Micro Dark is a lot of fun and a pretty capable little amp
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by nastytroll
Red Strat? I hate Strat's, You mean that Agile? That's my kids. Interceptor Pro 625 EMG FR Nice guitar if your a shredder, The black one with the red pick guard? Oh my! What a nasty little bitch she is, I'm not sure you really want to know, lets just say its a copy of an old Supro/Airline JB Hutto with a nasty twist,

I say "strat" in a relative fashion. I thought it was an Agile, but didn't want to make a musical faux pas.
Cmon man. Elaborate on that nasty little bitch. Can't leave a guy hangin like that..
I decided on trying out a peavey vip 2 which seems the best for the price so far. Unless I can find a used 6505+ 112 used for about 350 which seems unlikely. Your guys opinion on the peavey vip 2?
Quote by gu1tarn00b
I decided on trying out a peavey vip 2 which seems the best for the price so far. Unless I can find a used 6505+ 112 used for about 350 which seems unlikely. Your guys opinion on the peavey vip 2?
Quote by gu1tarn00b

There's a 6505+ 112 on the bay for $452 shipped
Diatribes Maybe man but it's really pricey. I mean don't get me wrong I would love to go balls out on this stuff and buy a bunch of expensive gear but I'm 17 and saving up for a better car with a damn mininum wage job. I just am trying to not spend that much money. But then again, I'm impulsive so I might.
Yea I own a company and get over paid. Sorry I can't sympathize. I see stuff, I buy stuff.
You could always email the seller and see if they'll take lower. I've had ok results doing that.
Quote by Diatribes
I say "strat" in a relative fashion. I thought it was an Agile, but didn't want to make a musical faux pas.
Cmon man. Elaborate on that nasty little bitch. Can't leave a guy hangin like that..

Well, that there is a Guitar Kits USA Resoglass Airline reproduction I built, The nasty twist? GraphTech Ghost Hexpander piezo system, Yea its a MIDI, Yes son I crossed over to the guitar synth dark side many moons ago, There's a few other odd ball touches such as an 1/8" nickel center block cap, that adds weight and sustain, and hit it with a Stetsbar bridge just for shits and giggles, Thing actually sounds more like an SG rather than an old Airline when using only the mag pickups, Coil tapped of course, Which are nothing more than some cheap Dragonfire Power Rails, But they're red that's all that matters, Weighs as much as an LP though, The pick guard and stainless steel work I did myself, Shooting for a retrorod look. I think I accomplished it,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615170@N07/30281262711/in/dateposted-friend/
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 26, 2016,
nastytroll
Dude I was just gonna say Eastwood Airline...no joke.
About the closet you'll see me to that particular "dark side" is my craving for an EHX Mel 9. No piezo and I save my Midi for the rack stuff ?
Nice ride though..
Quote by Diatribes
nastytroll
Dude I was just gonna say Eastwood Airline...no joke.
About the closet you'll see me to that particular "dark side" is my craving for an EHX Mel 9. No piezo and I save my Midi for the rack stuff ?
Nice ride though..

Got an old Roland GR-1 Expanded I'll sell cheap, Don't resist the darkside Diatribes,
I've had one actually, and quite liked it. Minus having to ugly up my geet with the goofy pup it runs off. Then my rotty chewed on the cable. I actually did manage to black tape the 20 or so wires that were cut, but it further fuglyed my ride. Sold to pawn shop at profit, actually.
The Mel 9 is polyphonic, and runs off standard pups.
If I do go dark side, it will be with a Mel 9. Those things give me bedroom eyes.
Quote by nastytroll
Oh yea this kid has $1200 bucks to drop on a powered monitor, He's looking at $300 dollar amps fer Christ sakes, Spend $200 and get one of the new Boss Katana 50w 1x12's , Aint tried one myself but they're getting killer reviews so far, Myself? Yea I have some pretty serious gear, I can roll in at about 2330w passive with the high end speakers to back them up

And of course, I meant it as slightly frivolous answer to his problem.

And of course it's not a powered monitor (had you looked), but a powered subwoofer (there are a lot of these available at power ratings from about 200W and a 10" speaker on up). Since most of these will augment up to around 160Hz (an octave above the low E on a guitar) and well below that (down to 35-40Hz, usually). If you've got an amp whose sound you like but which doesn't have enough power to produce lows, and if you've got an appropriate line out, this is a great way to get them when you want them.
Diatribes, Actually have one of those ugly Borg looking GK-3's on a Seagull acoustic, I use it to screw with people at open mic nights, Some of the looks range from dear stuck in the headlights to WTF, That's not suppose to be coming from an acoustic. Lots of fun, Although using the GR-55, The tracking is way better than the old stuff and way more PCM options,
Hey n00b. I was in a similar situation. Finding a good versitile amp, that is suitable for heavy stuff. Check out the new Katana Series by Boss. I can really recommend them. I had a line 6 spider iv 75 before and wasn't satisfied with the sound anymore. I tried the katana that cost nearly the same but there is a huge difference in sound! Also it has a power switch. So playing quietly at home is now problem as well as playing very very loud. Try one if you have the chance!
Quote by enerener15
Hey n00b. I was in a similar situation. Finding a good versitile amp, that is suitable for heavy stuff. Check out the new Katana Series by Boss. I can really recommend them. I had a line 6 spider iv 75 before and wasn't satisfied with the sound anymore. I tried the katana that cost nearly the same but there is a huge difference in sound! Also it has a power switch. So playing quietly at home is now problem as well as playing very very loud. Try one if you have the chance!

Kinda what I stated earlier , Take a look at that Katana, Its coming out of the Roland/Boss stable, Seems every time they come out with something new everyone else scrambles to try and keep up,
Quote by nastytroll
Kinda what I stated earlier , Take a look at that Katana, Its coming out of the Roland/Boss stable, Seems every time they come out with something new everyone else scrambles to try and keep up,

Not everyone bro. I proudly sport my 90's gear and geets
Quote by gu1tarn00b
I already own a epiphone sg pro guitar that cost me 350 dollars which I love. I also own a 120 dollar mustang 1 v2 amp. I have been looking at the schecter demon 6 guitar which I really really want but I'm not sure if it would be more sensible to buy the micro dark amp (I play mostly metal and heavy rock) because I might need the amp more than I want that guitar. I can only afford one and I just need some advice as to what you think I should do.

Doesn't sound like there's a "need" anywhere here; otherwise, you'd know which you should aim at. I'd pack the money away, add to it, and wait.
Quote by Diatribes
Not everyone bro. I proudly sport my 90's gear and geets

Here ya bro, Me too, but the kid has a $300 dollar budget, I look at bang for the buck, not at what I can afford, Trying to keep it under that $300 mark, Me? Yea add a decimal point, I wont blink an eye, Old lady might buy a new wardrobe if I show up with a new $3,000 amp, But all's fair in love and war right? Looks at credit card statement, Victorias Secret? obviously not a secret now, Screw that I'm buying a new guitar.
Quote by dspellman

And of course it's not a powered monitor (had you looked), but a powered subwoofer (there are a lot of these available at power ratings from about 200W and a 10" speaker on up). Since most of these will augment up to around 160Hz (an octave above the low E on a guitar) and well below that (down to 35-40Hz, usually). If you've got an amp whose sound you like but which doesn't have enough power to produce lows, and if you've got an appropriate line out, this is a great way to get them when you want them.
Quote by dspellman

And this matters why? Kids asking what's the best course of action, and within his budget, It matters that its a Subwoofer? rather than a monitor? Think this kid knows the difference? Seriously? Kids looking for the best bang for his buck. Which would appear he has few of, And looking at the cheapest Chinese made (almost) wannabe Tube amp with a known logo on the market , Granted you may like the them, but that's your preference. Hell if the kid was handy he could build a better kit amp for cheaper, The circuit in that thing is as simple as they get,. Nothing special going on there. Just the typical outsourced Chinese made goods we're all use to, Oh what a great deal?
Quote by nastytroll
And this matters why? Kids asking what's the best course of action, and within his budget, It matters that its a Subwoofer? rather than a monitor? Think this kid knows the difference? Seriously? Kids looking for the best bang for his buck. Which would appear he has few of, And looking at the cheapest Chinese made (almost) wannabe Tube amp with a known logo on the market , Granted you may like the them, but that's your preference. Hell if the kid was handy he could build a better kit amp for cheaper, The circuit in that thing is as simple as they get,. Nothing special going on there. Just the typical outsourced Chinese made goods we're all use to, Oh what a great deal?

nastytroll -- "frivolous" = "flippant, glib, facetious, joking, jokey, lighthearted"

Our OP may be looking for the best bang for his buck, but my earnest suggestion in post #34 above was that he really should probably have more bucks to bang with, and since it's just a case of him having a few bucks burning a hole in his pocket, he should perhaps wait until he knows for himself what he really needs/wants. Otherwise he'll be going, "Ooooh, shiny!" and forking over random amounts of cash with glazed-over eyes.

As I do.
Page 1 of 2