Good Morning,

I'm trying to pin down a tone but have been having some trouble doing so. I'm coming off of 10 years playing a combination of mostly hard rock and classical guitar, and recently I've found myself drawn to more of the mellow/twang rock sound. More specifically (and don't laugh by this example), but Trevor Rabin nails it on the Armageddon soundtrack here (be sure to jump to 9:20):

I've got a few different guitars, including a Les Paul, but I'm up for building an entirely new rig to capture and build on this sound. Short of noodling around in my local music store for half a day, where would you suggest I begin?

Appreciate the help.
Last edited by woodnomics at Nov 26, 2016,
A Strat and a reverb pedal. Your Les Paul won't cut it for that tone.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Thank you, but surely there's more to it than that. I've got a Strat and a reverb pedal but I don't get that twang and sustain.
I see soooo many post about how to sound like this album or that album. For any album, besides the musician, you have a boatload of expensive/classic gear that they provide, or the studio provides. Then you have an engineer and producer with years of experience and their own set of tools.

At some point there's no way you are going to get the exact tone of some albums since you don't have the experience or gear. IMHO, it's a fool's errand (no disrespect intended) to try to chase album tone too far. Jus be happy to get within the ballpark and grow from there...
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by woodnomics
Thank you, but surely there's more to it than that. I've got a Strat and a reverb pedal but I don't get that twang and sustain.
Well there is. What amp(s) do you have/have access to? Sounds like a Fender/American amp voicing to me. The Strat pups used sound either like bridge or bridge/middle, not sure.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 26, 2016,
^ yeah the amp is very important too
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by 8Len8
I see soooo many post about how to sound like this album or that album. For any album, besides the musician, you have a boatload of expensive/classic gear that they provide, or the studio provides. Then you have an engineer and producer with years of experience and their own set of tools.

At some point there's no way you are going to get the exact tone of some albums since you don't have the experience or gear. IMHO, it's a fool's errand (no disrespect intended) to try to chase album tone too far. Jus be happy to get within the ballpark and grow from there...

No offense taken, it's a great point and I'm glad you make it. I ask because I imagine there are many out there with a better ear than mine and much more exposure to a wider array of gear. And some just have an ear for dissecting sound, so you never know... but you're right about ballpark. That's really what I'm gunning for. Thanks
Quote by woodnomics
I'm trying to pin down a tone but have been having some trouble doing so. Short of noodling around in my local music store for half a day, where would you suggest I begin?

I have saved time and money with tone emulation using amplitube and guitar rig. Given the interplay between amp types, input instruments (pickups too), and effect pedals, unless you exactly match the setup that the studio had (mentioned before), you won't get the tone exact, but I've had good luck matching this using guitar rig, and amplitube even during live play situations. When I really like a tone, then I work on bringing it out of the virtual into hardware. Good luck!

JM
JeffMooreThat's a great suggestions, thank you... I've decided to purchase some modeling software and will play around to see if I can identify potential hardware matches.
I was thinking Strat-style singlecoil with delay or reverb, too, and immediately thought of Mark Knopfler's tone. So I went to Equipboard to see what he's running...

http://equipboard.com/pros/mark-knopfler/

And then I thought I'd post one of his videos...and found him coaxing similar tones out of his Les Paul.

So I think the more accurate answer might be a good/great clean amp tone, a good reverb, and the knowledge of how to tweak the knobs on them AND on the guitar of your choice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by diabolical
This sounds to me like someone told this guy to play like Pink Floyd.
It depends if you want the cheap or expensive version.
Curious, why don't you explain both?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I was thinking Strat-style singlecoil with delay or reverb, too, and immediately thought of Mark Knopfler's tone. So I went to Equipboard to see what he's running...

http://equipboard.com/pros/mark-knopfler/

And then I thought I'd post one of his videos...and found him coaxing similar tones out of his Les Paul.

So I think the more accurate answer might be a good/great clean amp tone, a good reverb, and the knowledge of how to tweak the knobs on them AND on the guitar of your choice.

yeah. i know 8Len8 was the first person to say a strat, but when i listened to it i'm not sure it jumped out at me as one of those tones that you *had* to have a strat for. as you said, i suspect a good clean tone etc. with the right feel etc. should get you close enough with most guitars (at least ones with lower output pickups).

Don't get me wrong- the first vid does sound a bit more single-coily, while the knopfler one does sound a bit more humbuckery. but yeah.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Will Lane
Curious, why don't you explain both?

The expensive one would be to copy David Gilmour's setup.

"Hiwatt (main) David Gilmour DR-103 and DR-504 heads into WEM 4x12 cabinets loaded w/ Fane Crescendo speakers"
http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/160-pink-floyd-david-gilmours-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment?showall=&limitstart=

and some of his effects.

I think a standard Strat with a Fender "Tweed" amp like the Blues Deluxe:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp-1273888002751.gc
should do, then some kind of delay. I think I heard some light tremolo effects there as well, maybe something like this
http://www.voodoolab.com/microvibe.htm or the traditional Fender tremolo wobble on their bigger tweed amps.

On the professional but cheaper than Gilmour scale I'd say Matchless Chieftain

On the super cheap scale - I'd say the Fender pack from Amplitube can achieve that
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Amplitube_Fender/IK_Amplitube_Fender.htm
Dave_Mc yeah, there's definitely more...heft in the Knopfler vid than in the Rabin snippet. And Rabin is noted to be a fan of singlecoils, anyway. He usually uses a Strat, but even his LP of choice sports P90s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
diabolical

If I were trying to set up a Gilmour rig on a medium budget- working heavily with stuff I already own or that's near the top of my G.A.S. list- I'd go:

Axe:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG

Amp:
Fender HRD, Carvin Belair, Vox AC15 or AC30, Mesa TA-15 or TA-30, or Quilter Aviator Gold 210

Pedals:
Boss RT-20 rotary
Catalinbread Echorec or Dawner Prince Boonar echo
ARC Effects Shepherd fuzz
ARC Effects Green fuzz
Spaceman Effects WOW Signal fuzz
McCaffrey Run Rabbit Run vibe
Keeley Compressor compressor
Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Sr delay
Keeley Phase 24 phaser
Empress Heavy distortion
Magnetic Effects Satellite, TrueTone VS-XO or ThorpyFX Gunshot OD
...or possibly just a Keeley Dark Side of the Moon MFX

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dave_Mc yeah, there's definitely more...heft in the Knopfler vid than in the Rabin snippet. And Rabin is noted to be a fan of singlecoils, anyway. He usually uses a Strat, but even his LP of choice sports P90s.

ah. i've never heard of him (rabin, not knopfler ).

but yeah.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Check out the Derringer Products Guitar Bullet PMA-10. Its can greatly improve your tone and much more.

Dave_Mc

Rabin is a South African musician who has scored more than 40 projects, but is probably most famous as a co-founder of Cinema with Chris Squier, Tony Kaye and Alan White...which- after Jon Anderson joined- became the core of the 90125/Big Generator/Union/Talk lineup of Yes.

alhaq369
oh ok, thanks
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman