so i had one a long time ago, wasn't "emotionally attached" to it because it's just gear. so i flipped it for big profits back then. it's what you do. or at least, what i've usually done.

it's a 1990 - "63 Vibroverb Reissue". True right down the the ground switch, which is only for looks by the way. 35 watts, 2x 6L6 and more preamp tubes than a SLO. i kid but whatever, there's a lot. it's the bridge of the gap from tweed to blackface in the fender amp line history, and they're more on the blackface end on the bright channel, and closer to tweed on the normal channel. (to my ears, basically the normal channel isn't as scooped and not as shimmery. a great place for a pedal enthusiast to reek havoc.

this amp does Surf to SRV to Dire Straights to John Mayer. i play 3 out of 4 of those so i should be fine.

the stock "oxford" speakers are true to the old as they were coned on the same machines, if fender folk lore is to be believed. now if you like a farty splatty sound, those are the speakers for you. i don't like that, so i'm cool with the choices the previous owner made for replacements. he offered me the originals as well, i declined them. i think i still have the two from my first one in a box somewhere.

bell like tones acquired.

gem light = toan.

not the black friday deal i thought i was going after, but it made the most sense to me since i was going after one sooner than later anyway.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Damn that's nice. Enjoy!
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
sweet

an alnico and a ceramic? how's that sound? i guess that makes sense since you said it sort of bridges the tweed/blackface gap. does the copperhead overpower the jensen?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

thanks @K0nijn
Quote by Will Lane
clips?

samsung phone video is possible, but running out with my sons for the day so clips will be later, or tomorrow. we'll see.
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

an alnico and a ceramic? how's that sound? i guess that makes sense since you said it sort of bridges the tweed/blackface gap. does the copperhead overpower the jensen?

probably. i'm only able to really play it at low volume here, so for that it sounded great. i think i had it up to "3". I'll be able to crank it this week when i play with buds. basically, anything is better than the oxfords.

i had a pair of jensen C10Q's i got from Wes (darkabiter) out of his CBB in the other one, and i thought those were a big step up from the oxfords.
never tried the oxfords

i have a c10q in my vht special 6. i replaced the copperhead. no real reason other than the c10q was like £20 or so on thomann so i figured what the heck, and it's a bit quieter than the copperhead. probably a bit more vintage-sounding, copperhead is a bit more powerful etc.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
never tried the oxfords

i have a c10q in my vht special 6. i replaced the copperhead. no real reason other than the c10q was like £20 or so on thomann so i figured what the heck, and it's a bit quieter than the copperhead. probably a bit more vintage-sounding, copperhead is a bit more powerful etc.

I can see swapping out the copperhead for another jensen at some point. i do dig on the vintage tone moreso than i need a bit of extra power. i'm sure i can find a broken in jensen locally without too much trouble.
I learned NOTHING!!!

Happy NGD- nice score!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
sweet amp! HNAD.

Danny- take notes...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Oh. Dang.
Greg wins black Friday.

You should wire that ground switch to triode mode for the power tubes.
thanks guys!

and danny, i used paypal but you can often use credit cards, cash or checks as well. even samsung pay i'm not kidding. it's how this works.

she's fully functional. I didn't make a video since i really only got to play it a little bit this afternoon. man i missed this amp.

dave now since you mentioned it all i think i hear is the copperhead.
(it does sound different than my other one but i'm not sure that's in a bad way.)
i'm serious, the power of suggestion.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 27, 2016,
gregs1020

I've got 30+ guitars...you think I haven't figured out CCs, PayPal?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
^ Go Jets!

dannyalcatraz well it does work for amps too. just making sure you understand, they'll even ship them.
Quote by gregs1020
I can see swapping out the copperhead for another jensen at some point. i do dig on the vintage tone moreso than i need a bit of extra power. i'm sure i can find a broken in jensen locally without too much trouble.

yeah i think the jensen does sound a bit more vintage and more sparkly, while the copperhead sounds a bit more modern, more powerful etc, and sounds a bit better (but still not great ) with dirt pedals.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by gregs1020

dave now since you mentioned it all i think i hear is the copperhead.
(it does sound different than my other one but i'm not sure that's in a bad way.)
i'm serious, the power of suggestion.

hahahahahahahahahaha

i mean, it's not guaranteed that it'll overpower it- i mean, on paper a V30 should overpower a G12T75, yet that's a pretty nice combo. Plus Eminence is often quite optimistic with its sensitivity ratings.

that being said they are pretty wide apart in sensitivity ratings and the copperhead could well overpower the alnico jensen...

And yeah lol at the suggestion thing, that's like me too.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

That thread title

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
JustRooster

alhaq369
WHAT?!?!?

i didn't know they did brown face reissues. how did i not know that

man that is a sweet amp dude, good speaker choice too. i have an original brownie deluxe with the oxford in it, i have to agree with your assesment... though i actually like the fart machines. i still hook it up to external speaker cabs for funsies, sounds great (better?) through one of my old jensen speakers or a G12M-25.

i'd love to hear some clips, i wanna hear how that amp's vibrato compares to mine.

damn, just noticed your amp has reverb. i didn't know any original brownies had reverb, questioning life right now
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
WHAT?!?!?

i didn't know they did brown face reissues. how did i not know that

man that is a sweet amp dude, good speaker choice too. i have an original brownie deluxe with the oxford in it, i have to agree with your assesment... though i actually like the fart machines. i still hook it up to external speaker cabs for funsies, sounds great (better?) through one of my old jensen speakers or a G12M-25.

i'd love to hear some clips, i wanna hear how that amp's vibrato compares to mine.

damn, just noticed your amp has reverb. i didn't know any original brownies had reverb, questioning life right now

the 1963 "Vibro-Verb" was the first fender amp to have vibrato + reverb, thus the name. i know, seems too obvious?

but yeah '63 was the first year. what's cool is, they actually made some late '63 or early '64 depending on how you look at it, 1x15 brown vibroverbs even though the 64 was a 1x15 black tolex & face and 63 was a 2x10 cream tolex & brown face. so there are a few "tweeners" out there. man i'd love to find one of those!

i have to look and see if i still have the original oxfords (from 1990) sitting in storage. i may have used one for a pro jr at one point. but you can have it/them if i have them. i owe you one for sending me the bacchus pups a while back.

i'll work on doing a couple clips here soon.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 27, 2016,
HNAD! I have some Eminence Patriots: Swamp Thang and Texas Heat, 2 of each loaded in my 4X12 and they are awesome IMO lots of bang for the buck!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Nice score!

Play some Buchanan and Moore
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Congrats Greg!! Looks like a lot of fun to be had in the future with that. Not many things in life better than new amps!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Evilnine yeah it does sound good, that's for sure.

H4T3BR33D3R play some what?

riffhog thanks bro!

monwobobbo no that thing is ugly.
Quote by gregs1020
Evilnine yeah it does sound good, that's for sure.

H4T3BR33D3R play some what?

riffhog thanks bro!

monwobobbo no that thing is ugly.

steps back so not hit by lightning bolt sent from above for blasphemy
i've never liked the three tone fender burst. the 50's 2 tone was great, the 60s 3 tone burst, .

he played that guitar because it sounded good.
Quote by gregs1020
i've never liked the three tone fender burst. the 50's 2 tone was great, the 60s 3 tone burst, .

he played that guitar because it sounded good.

just messin with you. I don't mind the look but I've tried to play a coupe of those SRV strats and hated them.
Quote by gregs1020
i've never liked the three tone fender burst.
It looks better once most of it's come off
Ahhhh, just like the old days. HNAD!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by gregs1020
the 1963 "Vibro-Verb" was the first fender amp to have vibrato + reverb, thus the name. i know, seems too obvious?

but yeah '63 was the first year. what's cool is, they actually made some late '63 or early '64 depending on how you look at it, 1x15 brown vibroverbs even though the 64 was a 1x15 black tolex & face and 63 was a 2x10 cream tolex & brown face. so there are a few "tweeners" out there. man i'd love to find one of those!

i have to look and see if i still have the original oxfords (from 1990) sitting in storage. i may have used one for a pro jr at one point. but you can have it/them if i have them. i owe you one for sending me the bacchus pups a while back.

i'll work on doing a couple clips here soon.

appreciate the offer, but i have actually been trying to trying to cut down on my addiction... uh gear. still have a small stack of utahs, jensons, and CTS speakers sitting in storage. more speakers than cabinets really.

btw, i did salvage that brownie deluxe back in the day. it is always a thrill to run across one of these amps from an under appreciated era of fender production, the numbers are so low and they truly were ineresting transitional pieces.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae