As of right now, he is probably jamming on a Randal Head.

This dude is getting into Djent. I don't know anything about modern metal, as I am after mock-up Megadeth "Wide and heavy blow" styles of tone. Anyway, he is not budging on the head and cab combo, but I don't exactly want to shake him off the experience ya know? I kinda just want him to get the rush of a half stack without getting noise complaints from the rest of his suburb .-.

I've got 4x12s and I really don't use them because they are just so damn big! So, I was considering just telling him to get a used classic model Peavey ValveKing, an atenuator, and... a B-15 cab? I really don't know about this whole modern post-hardcore genre, but that's why I'm asking you all!

FYI by slow I mean he's not %100... uhh..

He's a little bit of a tard! There, I said it!
If he's got the money, EHV 5150 III 50w or a 6505MH and a 2x12 with V30s.

But any 5150/6505 type amp will work for what he wants. Also an OD pedal to get super djenty. But still this setup will be pretty versatile anyway.
I don't see the problem. I use a 4x12 with a 100 watt Boogie in an apartment with people living on both sides of me and have never gotten a complaint.

Semi-off-topic (but since you mentioned the attenuator):

In my opinion, attenuators are essential if you want a half-way decent tone at low volume (I say half-way because you're still never going to get a good (decent, yes, good, no) tone without pushing the speakers. I think everybody and their brother would be using one if it weren't for the shitty resistive attenuators out there (like the THD Hot Plate, for example) that completely suck the tone out of your amp.

A reactive load (such as the Suhr Reactive Load, Two Notes Torpedo Reload, etc.) are practically transparent (or should be if they're made right). So if you recomend an attenuator, I would recomend recommending one of the reactive types (I use the Reload, but something like the Rivera Rockcrusher is nearly 1/2 the price).

Something I think most club giggers and home players don't know anymore is that four power tubes sound substantially better than two when driven into overdrive. Now, that doesn't have too much to do with metal (as overdriving the power tubes will give you nothing but flab for metal), but pushing the tubes to just before breakup will still add tons of harmonics.

So is a 100 watt amp overkill for an apartment or community with close neighbors? Hell no! If I could get my hands on a 200 watt amp with eight power tubes in it, I would in a heartbeat (still wanting a Marshall 9200 but not quite there yet).

Or something like that...
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Nov 26, 2016,
Sell him one of your 4x12s, then. Once some folks' minds (no matter how much of one we're talking about) are set, they can't be swayed until they see for themselves what a bad idea it may be.