The typical gain/overdrive/distortion that you can get with a Marshall amp, is there any pedal (made by Marshall or anyone else) with which you can get that sound? I've been looking for something like this but all I can find is either unpleasant fuzz, lame/weak overdrive or harsh metal. Basically I'm looking for a nice Marshall-type distortion in a pedal.
Last edited by aarroon at Nov 27, 2016,
Quote by aarroon
The typical gain/overdrive/distortion that you can get with a Marshall amp, is there any pedal (made by Marshall or anyone else) with which you can get that sound? I've been looking for something like this but all I can find is either unpleasant fuzz, lame/weak overdrive or harsh metal. Basically I'm looking for a nice Marshall-type distortion in a pedal.
What amp do you have?

Not trying to be funny, but seriously, some cheap amps will sound like ass whatever pedals you put in front of them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
My practice amp is a Bugera V5 infinium, stock tubes replaced with some nicer sounding ones. Good for clean tones but even cranked up not much overdrive going on.
At one time I did own a Marshall JMP-1 pre-amp, but I don't know if you could still find one these days.

I'm not sure what else to suggest that sounds like an overdriven Marshall amp, without it being a Marshall amp or a particularly good simulation of one.
Sansamp Character Series British will get you in the ballpark; not going to be spot-on through the 8" speaker in that amp, but close enough for practice I think. Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret should also, but I don't have direct experience with that one.
Quote by aarroon

Wampler Pedals has several that will fill the bill, depending on what KIND of Marshall distortion you need. Look up their Plextortion (I'm not sure if that's still available), Plexi-Drive and Pinnacle/Pinnacle Deluxe (they've got more, but those are bang on). And no, they're not cheap. But what IS cheap is your amp, and as slapsymcduck notes, "some cheap amps will sound like ass whatever pedals you put in front of them."
there are loads of MIAB pedals.

your amp's tube so there's a fair chance you can get something that'll sound decent at least. i'd have been inclined to upgrade the speaker before the tubes, though.

not sure it's wise spending tons of money on a pedal, though, as your amp is fairly cheap. there are crunchbox clones on the cheap, that might be worth considering. or even the marshall guvnor.

what type of marshall tone are you after? vintage/plexi or hotrodded? is your amp bright or dark-sounding?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?