So I've been looking into smaller (lunchbox) amps lately for touring purposes. At the moment I'm running an Egnater 120 watt Armageddon and I'm looking for something that is portable and able to very close to the same tone. In short think Russian Circles with a little less saturation

For anyone familiar with that amp like setting it very dark with the tight switch off and the bright switch on or off with the treble and presence cranked. On the dirt channel I keep the gain very low (just under 9 o'clock) and the volume around 1 o'clock, using the master volume to tame things a bit while getting that punch. So to sum up I love a very loud, punchy, dark sound with plenty of headroom and not too "metal" sounding.

So I'm looking for something that does that loud dark tone, preferably 2 channel though I've been able yo get a similar distortion with pedals as long as the clean is right.

My main candidates are either the Victory Amps v30/v40 or the smaller Egnater amps like the tweaker 15 or Rebel 30. The concerns I'm having are simple, are any of these amps loud enough/have enough headroom? And are they dark enough? I want a very tame top end but not a super sludgy low end.

I realise this is a bit of a rant but does anyone have any experience with the amps I've listed? Especially the victory stuff???
I have owned a tweaker, Rebel 30,and a renegade. I really didn't like the tweaker. the rebel was a solid amp, but I don't think it would do what you want. the renegade was the best of the bunch, but obviously it's not a lunch box amp. lol. overall I haven't been impressed with Egnater.

Maybe an orange dark terror would be worth checking into, but you won't have much clean headroom. i have a dual terror and I love it, but one flaw for me is that it doesn't have an effects loop. 30 watts, so there is more headroom (and two channels).

I would love to get my hands on the victory stuff to give them a shot.

here is an offshoot, but a sovtek mig 50 can be found cheap, not much bigger, can be nice and dark, BUT is NMV, so you need pedals for gain. headroom for daya though. I pair mine with a TS and a zvex mastotron, and it sounds like a wall of hell. it takes pedals very well, and I think I got mine for $200.

another idea would be something lunchbox from Carvin, although I have very little experience on them, so I don't want to say too much.

*this is all based on hands on experience. I am briefly summarizing.

I will do some more thinking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
shy of going modeling i'd say the rebel 30 has the best chance of ticking off most of the boxes. that said it's still a 30 watt head.

what about a used 5150 III 50 watt head? that's still a smaller-esque sort of head.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Needs to be either clean or two channel for me and have an effects loop

I'll check out the Sovtek stuff, sounds interesting. It doesn't necessarily have to be "lunchbox" just small enough to fly with

Really hoping I can find a Victory somewhere!
Quote by Ullish
Needs to be either clean or two channel for me and have an effects loop

I'll check out the Sovtek stuff, sounds interesting. It doesn't necessarily have to be "lunchbox" just small enough to fly with

Really hoping I can find a Victory somewhere!

they are long out of production, and I have heard of issues with some. mine has been very reliable for a long while. but they pack a lot of volume in a little package,and it sounds great to me.

EVH 5153mini heads are great.

I am hoping you will get your hands on a victory.

I don't think the Rebel will do what you want, but I haven't had one in a long time, but IMO Egnater is a little 'meh' but i haven't tried a Armageddon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
they are long out of production, and I have heard of issues with some. mine has been very reliable for a long while. but they pack a lot of volume in a little package,and it sounds great to me.

EVH 5153mini heads are great.

I am hoping you will get your hands on a victory.

I don't think the Rebel will do what you want, but I haven't had one in a long time, but IMO Egnater is a little 'meh' but i haven't tried a Armageddon.

Loooooove the Armageddon but I don't really use it for high gain. Not really a fan of EVH stuff, find them to be too barky/scratchy. I'm thinking more hiwatt, tweed, sunn sorta crunch.

Failing that I'm pretty sure my Earthquaker Devices Talons can get me to the dirt I need as long as the clean is right
I would take a solid look at orange for what you saying you like.

I haven't tried one, but laney has the IRT may be up your alley.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Which orange would you recommend??

I've got a Laney VH100R which I love but I find myself cranking the bass up to around 9 or 10. What's the IRT like?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by Ullish
Which orange would you recommend??

I've got a Laney VH100R which I love but I find myself cranking the bass up to around 9 or 10. What's the IRT like?

i don't know. i haven't tried one, but clips are pretty good and they get mentioned quite often on here.

as far as the orange stuff goes, maybe that isn't ideal for your situation and budget. you probably don't want the dark terror because of clean headroom, and the dual (which i own) doesn't have an effects loop.. or maybe a thunder 30? a bit more expensive though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

It's a bit of a conundrum, there doesn't seem to be any orange stuff with all the key features I need, usually just most of them lol.

There's a brand called Valevetone here in Australia that looks interesting. The Victory V30/V40 stuff is top of the list at the moment but the closest one to test is just over a 2 hour flight away!
Orange Dual Terror or Mesa Mini Rectifier, although the Mini might be a touch too much on the dirty channel. I have mine setup on "retro" and gets some great old school tones but it might be too "metal". Check it out regardless, it is a great amp.