I recently got an offer to trade in my current SX-GG1k and get a discount on the guitar I'd buy. My dilemma is that in the low-end of guitars, it's entirely possible I'd end up with a worse guitar, even if it's a bit more expensive. I don't have any specific problems with the current one except that I bought it used and I'd like an entirely new and half-decent axe to play with.

The ones I've been looking at are the Cort X6 and the Ibanez GRG170DX. On forums and comment sections I've read, they recommend the Ibanez over the Cort, but in all the videos I've seen and heard, the Ibanez sounds really not good to me (could be the recording or the amp, and it's not in stock at this store, so I can't try it). Another worry I have is the floating bridges: one bad look at it, and I'm out of tune already.
My solid Plan B is either just grabbing a Yamaha instead (can't even decide which one Pacifica, ERG, RGX), or spending pretty much 0 money and getting a simple Epiphone, but I'm not sure if that's a quality improvement over SX.

Budget: about 260 Euros tops
Favourite Artists: System of a Down, Marilyn Manson, Offspring, Rise Against
Preferences: Les Paul or Strat Shape, tuners preferably on the same side of headstock
Pickups: I'd really like both humbuckers and pickups for versatility, and I haven't decided on which type I like the most yet. Layout doesn't matter
New or Used: New
Location: Eastern yurop. The supplier of this store I can shop at is Muziker and Thomann as far as I know, so it's mostly their selection I can pick from.
Current Gear is an SX GG1k and a Blackstar ID Core 20.

I appreciate any opinion I can get, I've been digging reviews for a week, and still can't decide, since there's always a couple of people who will call each of the guitars absolute crap.
What is it that's wrong with your current guitar that makes you want a new one?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
slapsymcdougal
Mostly that I suspect I could get a lot better than an SX,
I've heard they're pretty low-end stuff, and I don't think I'd get an opportunity to trade it in for a discount anywhere else. But I am afraid that anything else in this range is pretty much the same.
Anyway there's just small reasons: I've never owned a new guitar, only used before. It's scratchy and that annoys me, and the B string's bridge mount is moving, so if i pick it a bit hard, it buzzes and goes out of tune - could be fixed up relatively easily.
Do you need a trem or not?Would you use one?I noticed that both guitars you're looking at have trems.One has a Floyd and the other an Ibanez one.
I only ask because in that price range you probably won't be able to hammer it without it going out of tune.
Also they can be a pain.If you're not gonna use it then i'd probably go with a fixed bridge if i were you.Less hassle.
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Thomann just released a 300 euro guitar (just 40 euro over your budget) with an Original Floyd (1000 series): https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_fr_vb.htm

It's an LP and even has coil split for versatility. I don't know how good it might be and I never touched a Harley Benton before. Still might be interesting to have a look at if you're bothering to have a floating system.

In that price range don't expect to get an extremely good guitar if going new, but I guess a Yamaha Pacifica would be a nice bet.
I looked at both and to my eyes the Cort X6 seems the better choice. I'm not exactly a fan of Ibanez's low-end guitars in general though.

I haven't played either of the guitars mentioned, but if you were forcing me to buy one or the other - I would be taking the Cort. Although, I would rather have a Jackson Dinky if you were asking me to choose any low-end guitar.
EyeballPaul
I don't really need trem, never used it before, seems like a nice additional feature, but not worth the detuning hassle. I just couldn't find a versatile (humbucker+single coil type) guitar without one in the shops I've looked at.
DanyFS
LP with coil split sounds pretty much perfect. Sadly, I'm already kinda pushing my wallet here at the moment, and I also don't know much about HBs.
V3n0m777
That's actually comforting to hear, many people so far told me to go with the Ibanez because it's an Ibanez, but it really doesn't sound that good from the samples I've managed to dig up. The Dinky sounds pretty damn solid on recordings, but from what I hear the quality control is typical chinese. I'm mainly afraid of the frets being imperfect, anything else I can fix myself or I can shell out the cash for the repairs.

Does anyone know of any coil-split Les Pauls without a trem around this range? I think that would have enough versatility for me.
Quote by ParaszTarcal
EyeballPaul
I don't really need trem, never used it before, seems like a nice additional feature, but not worth the detuning hassle. I just couldn't find a versatile (humbucker+single coil type) guitar without one in the shops I've looked at.
DanyFS
LP with coil split sounds pretty much perfect. Sadly, I'm already kinda pushing my wallet here at the moment, and I also don't know much about HBs.
V3n0m777
That's actually comforting to hear, many people so far told me to go with the Ibanez because it's an Ibanez, but it really doesn't sound that good from the samples I've managed to dig up. The Dinky sounds pretty damn solid on recordings, but from what I hear the quality control is typical chinese. I'm mainly afraid of the frets being imperfect, anything else I can fix myself or I can shell out the cash for the repairs.

Does anyone know of any coil-split Les Pauls without a trem around this range? I think that would have enough versatility for me.

Basically Harley Bentons are the housebrand of Thomann. Kinda like Agiles are the housebrand of Rondo Music for instance. Being budget guitars, it's really a hit or miss. You can get a really good guitar or just firewood, due to QC failing at times.

You can always send the guitar back and they will return your money though (check their 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee if you haven't yet).

I looked at the other LPs on Thomann's website and they don't seem to have any other LP in your price range that has coil splitting. I guess that it will be a bit difficult to find such a guitar in that price range.

I have played on some JS22 and JS32 Jacksons and they turned out to be pretty decent. I guess the JS32 series should have better quality overall, so if you're going to get a Jackson, aim for the JS32 series with that budget.

Other than that, I say Yamaha Pacifica again. It has both humbucker and single coils, so it should be a bit more versatile than the Jacksons, which only have humbuckers.

I don't have any experience with Cort guitars, so I can't say anything about them. And between Ibanez low end guitars, Jackson low end guitars and Yamaha Pacifica, I would go with either Jackson or Yamaha.

Edit:

Not an LP, and again Harley Benton, but just for reference, here's another guitar that has coil split in your price range: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_xt_22_black_cherry_flame.htm
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 27, 2016,
i wouldn't get either.

if i had to go with something, it would be the yamaha pacifica.

barring that, keep what you have now if you don't have problems. or save up a few more bucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Did you get the offer from a local shop? Just go there and try different models that are in your range and see what you like. Also bring your current one and compare it, so you can see if the upgrade is worth the money or not Also besides the sound the feel is very important. You wont get that out a of a video .
If you have no local stores around you I guess Yamaha Pacifica really would be a decent choice.
Quote by DanyFS
Thomann just released a 300 euro guitar (just 40 euro over your budget) with an Original Floyd (1000 series): https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_fr_vb.html

Wow that's a pretty hilarious copy of an Edwards.

A FR1000 on a £250 guitar is pretty awesome if its really true.

It seems too good to be true though. I've heard about HB's being all over the place in terms of quality control.

I'm a very big fan of Jacksons, but even I agree that the JS guitars in my experience are very mediocre. The electronics in them are very cheap and the fretwork weren't too hot on the ones I tried. The adage 'you get what you pay for' holds pretty firm with them

OP, I think you need to evaluate what exactly you want more. Specifying that you want a Les Paul or Strat shape and you want the tuners all on one side is very vague. You haven't specified anything about neck profile, fretboard radius, neck construction etc.

I suppose if you're totally undecided, a really safe bet is a Yamaha Pacifica.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
FWIW you will get a better quality guitar for the same money if you buy used.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Wow that's a pretty hilarious copy of an Edwards.

A FR1000 on a £250 guitar is pretty awesome if its really true.

It seems too good to be true though. I've heard about HB's being all over the place in terms of quality control.

I'm a very big fan of Jacksons, but even I agree that the JS guitars in my experience are very mediocre. The electronics in them are very cheap and the fretwork weren't too hot on the ones I tried. The adage 'you get what you pay for' holds pretty firm with them

OP, I think you need to evaluate what exactly you want more. Specifying that you want a Les Paul or Strat shape and you want the tuners all on one side is very vague. You haven't specified anything about neck profile, fretboard radius, neck construction etc.

I suppose if you're totally undecided, a really safe bet is a Yamaha Pacifica.

Yeah, if they put a FR1000 on such a cheap guitar, I wonder which woods they used and how the fretwork and overall construction quality is on most of them... I bet there's a high chance of getting a turd, but if you're lucky enough, maybe you can get something playable.

In any case, it's still probably a huge risk to get such a guitar. Better save some more money or get one in the same price range without a FR-like bridge.
T00DEEPBLUE
Pretty undecided, yes. I only had two pieces so far, so I don't really have a preference yet in necks and fretboards. I guess I have an easier time with thicker necks and medium/tall frets, but I'm pretty sure I could get used to any variation. I didn't even think about the radius and neck shape.

Anyway as things are standing in the thread, it seems like this price range is pretty risky in terms of quality overall, so I might as well stick to my current one.

On a sidenote, is anyone looking to buy a kidney, and what is a good high-budget guitar?
Quote by ParaszTarcal
T00DEEPBLUE
Pretty undecided, yes. I only had two pieces so far, so I don't really have a preference yet in necks and fretboards. I guess I have an easier time with thicker necks and medium/tall frets, but I'm pretty sure I could get used to any variation. I didn't even think about the radius and neck shape.

Anyway as things are standing in the thread, it seems like this price range is pretty risky in terms of quality overall, so I might as well stick to my current one.

On a sidenote, is anyone looking to buy a kidney, and what is a good high-budget guitar?

Again buying used will allow you to buy a higher caliber guitar for the price of a cheap new guitar, that is if there is a used market in your location.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine
No specific used market. I can either travel around the country and check out forum listings, or get them delivered, in which case I have no way to tell if they're usable at all.
Suspiciously enough, everyone in the goddamn country claims their used guitars are as good as new, and often try to sell it at the price of a new one.

Any opinions on putting expensive pickups in a cheap guitar?
Hmmm, what country doesn't have an active used instrument market? I thought musicians were always broke and always needed some money. Maybe just looking in the wrong places.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 28, 2016,
Quote by ParaszTarcal
Evilnine
No specific used market. I can either travel around the country and check out forum listings, or get them delivered, in which case I have no way to tell if they're usable at all.
Suspiciously enough, everyone in the goddamn country claims their used guitars are as good as new, and often try to sell it at the price of a new one.

Any opinions on putting expensive pickups in a cheap guitar?
It depends.

If the guitar has the basics there - for example, holds in tune, is intonated properly, and so forth - then you can upgrade the pickups and electronics, but I'd not drop a set of Bare Knuckles in or anything. There are a lot of less 'big name' brands out there that will improve the sound of a well set up guitar a lot, but for significantly less than the price of even SDs or DiMarzios.
Quote by Diemon Dave
slapsymcdougal
Can you give me an example of such brands please? I've been looking for some medium-tier pickups, but only stumbled on "Dr.Parts" and "Partsland" (never heard of either, can't confirm if they're any good) and the next price category is SD and EMG.
Cajundaddy
Well I was trying real hard not to disclose my nationality, but I can't find any kind of active market here in Hungary due to lack of funds anywhere in the country. The postsoviet life chose me.
GFS seem to be the go-to advice for the lower end of the price range - probably around $70-80 for a set, but as far as I can see, they won't ship to Hungary.

I've used iron gear pickups on a few projects, and they're about the same price point, but DO ship to Hungary(about a tenner, may be some extra taxes).

Though if you can find something like SD used, they can be a good buy.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Being from Hungary is not a crime, no reason to hide. My daughter played water Polo for 2 years in France with Orsolya Kisteleki of Budapest. If you follow football you have probably heard of her family.

So searching instruments may be difficult locally but a short train ride should get you into Vienna and surrounding areas where there is a good used guitar market. It is less convenient than having Thomann deliver to your door but even with train fare you should get a much nicer axe buying used on limited funds.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
slapsymcdougal
Those really sound awesome by the soundsamples provided. Though only the Dirty Torque, the rest are pretty weird to me.
Cajundaddy
Nice to hear that, I'm pretty proud of our watersports girls and guys! About the matter at hand, I have a hunch I'd spend a bunch on the trip itself, and I'd have that much less to pay for a guitar.

In other news, I visited the shop and asked the guy about the discount he's willing to give me, and he's a lot more generous than I'd even have guessed. That makes my budget about 385 euros.
The thing is, he trashed Pacifica, which makes me doubt his taste (but I've never tried one, so I can't tell). He recommended a Fender Squier Vintage Modified HSS, which has Seymour Duncans in the first place, which I love, and would want to buy anyway. And the bad news: I have too many options, and absolutely can't tell what would be good for me anymore.

My sincere thanks to anyone who still pops by this thread, you guys are spending more time on me than I deserve! It's a big decision for me, no idea if I could ever get another opportunity like this.
ParaszTarcal

Hungary is a beautiful country, who th a great culture...and tasty cuisine! (I went to Budapest in the mid-80s, and was educated by expatriate monks...). Be proud!

Even if- like me- we don't know what's available where you are, there's a big knowledge base here. We can help you evaluate those options you see.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.