Page 1 of 2
Hello,

I'm new here and total beginner. Bought a Squier HSS Strat Pack a couple weeks ago to get started. Came with a Fender Frontman 15G.

I love Santana's early tone so went to GC yesterday and asked if I should get a cheap multi-fx pedal or an i-Rig or a modeling amp.

The GC associate said, hands down the Line 6 Spider V 30. So I bought it based on her rec. Most of the effects are not consistent with my taste.

Is there a negative consensus re the Spider Amps?

Thanks and looking forward to hangin out here!
Its not the end of the world... But the Frontman was a better amp, especially for what you want. The Spider is widely considered one of the worst amps ever made. At least you only bought the 30w version
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can always take it back. There's like a 90 days return policy on new items and 45 on used. I utilize their return policy often.
I personally was not impressed at all with the new Spider V. I had every hope of it being a big improvement over previous models (the much hated IV, in particular) but it was a huge letdown. I definitely don't think that it will be suited towards Santana tone.

I'd recommend taking it back.

A few questions:

Do you have a budget in mind for your rig?

Do you already own an iPad/tablet?

Do you have a decent pair of headphones?

We might be able to help you find something more in-line with your tastes based on your answers.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
For a beginner, it's probably adequate. The thing is, when you're beginning you need to focus less on what tone you want and more on your technique.

That said, Guitar Centre will probably have just recommended whatever they make the most profit on. Once you reach the stage of searching fora specific tone, the Spider is never going to be the right answer.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by stratolini
Hello,

I'm new here and total beginner. Bought a Squier HSS Strat Pack a couple weeks ago to get started. Came with a Fender Frontman 15G.

I love Santana's early tone so went to GC yesterday and asked if I should get a cheap multi-fx pedal or an i-Rig or a modeling amp.

The GC associate said, hands down the Line 6 Spider V 30. So I bought it based on her rec. Most of the effects are not consistent with my taste.

Never ask for consensus -- a general agreement about something -- because it leads, by definition, to mediocrity.

There *are* a lot of folks in this forum who think that the Line 6 Spider is a terrible amp. They've also managed to make Line 6 the leader in amp sales worldwide. They're well past a million of them sold and Line 6 has the largest market share of any amp manufacturer. So *that* would also represent a kind of consensus.

A beginner amp is a beginner amp. Guitar Center personnel are not the people to ask for serious recommendations. Never judge an amp or modeler by the presets, never judge an amp or a modeler's sound by YouTube vids, and never blindly take the advice that you get in an internet forum.

Santana is using (mostly) an old snakeskin-covered Mesa Boogie that he's had for years. I've seen it and touched it. I get the same tone from a near-duplicate amp called a Carvin XV112B (it even looks the same, except for the snakeskin). Both are 100W tube amps (single 12" open-back combos) with specific control setups. Save your coin -- you can actually buy a duplicate of his amp, used, on eBay.

Do NOT buy a cheap multi-FX, iRig, or cheap modeling amp in an attempt to duplicate what he does. There ARE more expensive multi-FX, pedals (see Wampler pedals) and preamps (a Mesa Triaxis) that will give you what he does through earphones or powered speaker setups. Pack your money away.
dspellman while i agree to a point. but bud light is probably the best selling beer, and it tastes like piss.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25) NEW**
2017-03-18 - 2017-03-18 Time to Get De-laid... (Saturday 2017-03-18)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
dspellman while i agree to a point. but bud light is probably the best selling beer, and it tastes like piss.

i think his point is that regardless or how it taste, there exists a consensus that buys the stuff.

the same would go for a toyota corolla, it's one of the best selling cars of all time but i doubt any of us really dream of owning one. i've seen dspellman post car pics, he doesn't have one either.

OP - return the spider after answering the questions asked about budget, yadda yadda yadda...
carlos tone on a lower budget? probably the carvin mentioned above.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 27, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
i think his point is that regardless or how it taste, there exists a consensus that buys the stuff.

the same would go for a toyota corolla, it's one of the best selling cars of all time but i doubt any of us really dream of owning one. i've seen dspellman post car pics, he doesn't have one either.

OP - return the spider after answering the questions asked about budget, yadda yadda yadda...
carlos tone on a lower budget? probably the carvin mentioned above.

lol yeah. I was more in jest. yes line 6 is very successful, and yes the spiders suck. they do truly make some very nice stuff i have owned and used (POD HD, m9/m13). and I have yet to put my hands on a helix but the hype is pretty good.

yeah, OP, return it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Thanks you guys. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

BTW, I still have the Frontman 15G that came with the Strat Pack. GC only wanted to give me $15 for it on a trade so I hung onto it in case I returned the the Line 6 Spider.

Re some of your questions:

Yes, I have an i-pad.

I heard about the Tonebridge app here and actually went to GC yesterday to buy the i-Rig to use Tonebridge. Obviously they talked me out of that and into the Spider (they gave me the floor model so there was no box or manual).

I have ATH-M40x headphones.

As far as budget, $100 - $200 max right now as I would like to spend as little as possible until gaining more experience. Will an i-Rig work with my Frontman 15G amp?

I would be happy with just a few effects for now. If it's possible to get something close to Santana's early tone that would be great!

Thanks!
Last edited by stratolini at Nov 27, 2016,
positive grid's bias software is impressive for a relatively low cost, there are people on here who do use it on iPads.

I would look into that first.

return the spider.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Is that the spider v 30 with an 8" speaker? If so, it is a shame that with so many features, they would stick a crappy small speaker in it. Understand the price point but that jus seems dumb to me.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

That's a good example of my point. It doesn't matter whether the consensus involves a whole bunch of people in a forum griping about (or promoting) an amp or a bunch of people buying one brand of beer. It doesn't mean mob advice is good advice.
Quote by MAChiefs
Is that the spider v 30 with an 8" speaker? If so, it is a shame that with so many features, they would stick a crappy small speaker in it. Understand the price point but that jus seems dumb to me.

+1 i don't understand why it does either.

however I bet they do it so you spend more on a higher model.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by MAChiefs

I won't argue with you about that particular speaker or that particular amp, but you want to be careful about griping about speakers based solely on their cone size. There are spectacular nearfield monitors whose LF driver is an 8" cone. There's also a great series of bass cabinets designed around an 8"LF driver (google Crazy 8 and Crazy 88 speaker cabinets).
Quote by dspellman
I won't argue with you about that particular speaker or that particular amp, but you want to be careful about griping about speakers based solely on their cone size. There are spectacular nearfield monitors whose LF driver is an 8" cone. There's also a great series of bass cabinets designed around an 8"LF driver (google Crazy 8 and Crazy 88 speaker cabinets).

Not speaking for all smaller cone size speakers, but cheap and small doesn't seem like a wise combination.
Quote by dspellman
That's a good example of my point. It doesn't matter whether the consensus involves a whole bunch of people in a forum griping about (or promoting) an amp or a bunch of people buying one brand of beer. It doesn't mean mob advice is good advice.

I agree.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

There are no mistakes, only lessons to be learned after trial and error
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 27, 2016,
Quote by dspellman

I agree (again) but LF drivers aren't regularly found in $200 practice guitar amps.

I at one point had four 8" subs in a car running at 2000 watts. ported and tuned to 42hz. fucking loud. massive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Return the amp, OP.

I don't care if there are high end speakers that reproduce tons of bass at 8". You're never going to find such speakers in a cheap, crappy practice amp. I would not expect those speakers in the Spider to be any different from any of the other crappy speakers that you get in practice amps just like it.
Quote by nastytroll
There are no mistakes, only lessons to be learned after trial and error

does that definition also come with a participation trophy?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
If you still have the frontman. I have one too, a 95 version, it has a external speaker out that shuts off the internal speaker. I never liked the sound of a front man. Ive had a 15 and a 212. However, i love my 15 now that i have a custom speaker cab for it. I mean it doesn't do santana but i was really surprised how a speaker upgrade improved the sound of the fm15. Especially for the gain channel. The original speaker has a very limited voicing. It might even be possible to hook the fm15 to the line 6 for some good tones. Like hook the head phones out to the line6 input or aux input. Just dont hook the fm15 ext speaker out to anything but a speaker. One with proper ohms rating.
All that talk of lf drivers is cool. Too bad there is not a speaker forum. Lf drivers wont work alone for guitar. Op needs to get into the 5khz range.
Last edited by geo-rage at Nov 27, 2016,
TS, as mentioned Positive Grid has several apps (BIAS Amp and BIAS FX, in particular) which are very affordable. Combine those with an iRig HD interface, and you have a more than decent practice setup. You can even find an inexpsensive powered monitor later on for playing live.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Return the amp, OP.

I don't care if there are high end speakers that reproduce tons of bass at 8". You're never going to find such speakers in a cheap, crappy practice amp. I would not expect those speakers in the Spider to be any different from any of the other crappy speakers that you get in practice amps just like it.

does that definition also come with a participation trophy?

i completely agree. guitar speakers are NOT LF drivers and that makes it irreverent to compare.

in most cases 12"s sound better than smaller speakers, especially at the low budget spectrum.
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 27, 2016,
Quote by stratolini
Hello,

Thanks and looking forward to hangin out here!
As a total beginner, I would say it is not necessarily a mistake but just an option. As you have seen, Spiders are not good amps at all compared to even a tier or two above in the market. But you can get a feel for what sounds you like and don't like, how to get them, effects, etc. with it. Sit with the amp and you will probably find it usable at your stage. I personally would trade it in for a Fender Mustang (just to name a similar but generally better amp) with a 12'' speaker but that is me
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 27, 2016,
I checked the Bias FX page. I didn't see any information about how to use it or what is needed to use it.

Don't know anything about LF drivers or what they are at this point.

I think I need something that is simple to use.
Quote by stratolini
I checked the Bias FX page. I didn't see any information about how to use it or what is needed to use it.

Don't know anything about LF drivers or what they are at this point.

I think I need something that is simple to use.

i would look a little more into positive grid. from what i can tell is that it looks pretty simple. and at your budget it will sound better than most of what you can get in terms of quality tones.

LF drivers are low frequency drivers (think subwoofers). they are irrelevant in this thread, and are generally not used for guitar stuff.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would look a little more into positive grid. from what i can tell is that it looks pretty simple. and at your budget it will sound better than most of what you can get in terms of quality tones.

LF drivers are low frequency drivers (think subwoofers). they are irrelevant in this thread, and are generally not used for guitar stuff.
TS is a straight beginner. I do not know where I draw the line between "you need good tone to be inspiring to play" and "this is just keeping TS from actually practicing". I'd argue that PG Bias and FX are not as beginner friendly as guitar > amp and done. No AI or headphones or computer software to work around (although the new Spiders can get kinda complex).
This Spider V has been a complete PITA. There are no clear instructions for anything. The only manual offered is simple quickguide that lacks any details. No guidance for installing the software updates for the amp.
No instructions for the Spider remote app.
The Line 6 Customtone downloads will not download.
No clear instructions for anything.
I'm taking this POS back.
Quote by stratolini
This Spider V has been a complete PITA. There are no clear instructions for anything. The only manual offered is simple quickguide that lacks any details. No guidance for installing the software updates for the amp.

Okay. However keep in mind that most amps for your level, at the versatility and experimentality that you might want, will have a bit of a learning curve to them. You may have better luck with something like the VOX AV series which is a "what you see is what you get" kind of amp, but still modeling. No complex interfaces.
Quote by stratolini

welcome to the UG consensus on that amp.

actually, we just hate it because it sounds like a tyrannosaur's raging cry while it's nutsack is attacked by ginormous killer beez. but welcome.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 27, 2016,
The Spider is a godawful cheesegrater. GC employees make the biggest commission on it in the beginner range (confirmed with some people I know over there), thus they chuck it out the door to unsuspecting kids walking in there looking for advice.

As far OP is concerned, I'd actually suggest a modelling amp that is extremely easy to operate and sounds great: The Tech21 TM30. It is essentially the award winning Sansamp in an amp variant and sounds amazing for the price. All kinds of tones from clean to metal.
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark30.html

No need to complicate the issue further at this point, unless he wants to stick with his Fender amp.
Well let me first apologize to the forum for the minor rant. I don't mind experimenting or playing around with the amp settings, but it's irritating wasting time trying to find answers to simple questions.
For instance, the only manual they offer is an online "quickstart guide" that is vague and incomplete.
Then there's the new software upgrade for the Spider V but no clear instruction how to load it from a laptop. You would think a flash drive or usb connection but nope, they make you solve a mystery.
There is Spider remote app but, again, no instructions for how to use that either.
So far, Line 6 support appears pretty sloppy. Getting started with a Spider should not require scrounging through internet forums for instructions on basic operation.
Last edited by stratolini at Nov 28, 2016,
Quote by dspellman

Santana is using (mostly) an old snakeskin-covered Mesa Boogie that he's had for years. I've seen it and touched it. I get the same tone from a near-duplicate amp called a Carvin XV112B (it even looks the same, except for the snakeskin). Both are 100W tube amps (single 12" open-back combos) with specific control setups. Save your coin -- you can actually buy a duplicate of his amp, used, on eBay.

Is a Carvin XV-212 essentially the same as the 112B?
Quote by stratolini
Well let me first apologize to the forum for the minor rant. I don't mind experimenting or playing around with the amp settings, but it's irritating wasting time trying to find answers to simple questions.
For instance, the only manual they offer is an online "quickstart guide" that is vague and incomplete.
Then there's the new software upgrade for the Spider V but no clear instruction how to load it from a laptop. You would think a flash drive or usb connection but nope, they make you solve a mystery.
There is Spider remote app but, again, no instructions for how to use that either.
So far, Line 6 support appears pretty sloppy. Getting started with a Spider should not require scrounging through internet forums for instructions on basic operation.

http://line6.com/software/index.html

This is a link to all the software available for the Spider V 30 (for Windows 7). Some of it will be redundant as it lists all previous versions. I agree, Line 6 could make the explanation of what software you need a little easier.

For now, I'd recommend at least downloading the latest drive, flash memory, and updater. I'm not sure if you can edit the Spider V on your PC like you can for the Helix (my only current L6 product), but even if you can't, I would suspect that they will add that feature soon (they did this for the Helix after it was released). That will make editing your sounds much easier.
Quote by dementiacaptain
http://line6.com/software/index.html

This is a link to all the software available for the Spider V 30 (for Windows 7). Some of it will be redundant as it lists all previous versions. I agree, Line 6 could make the explanation of what software you need a little easier.

For now, I'd recommend at least downloading the latest drive, flash memory, and updater. I'm not sure if you can edit the Spider V on your PC like you can for the Helix (my only current L6 product), but even if you can't, I would suspect that they will add that feature soon (they did this for the Helix after it was released). That will make editing your sounds much easier.

Thanks dementiacaptain - love your username!

BTW, re the i-Rig you mentioned earlier, can that be used to play sound through the amp or just headpones?
The way the iRig HD works is that your output comes out of your regular headphone jack, like you were listening to music. There are adapters and cables available that would allow you to connect from the headphone jack to an amp or powered monitor. There are several difference configurations for this, and some are better than others.
Quote by stratolini

That's part of the Japanese experience, since they got acquired by Yamaha. Yamaha and Boss products have always felt that way, lots of cool options but you'll have to be a total geek to discover them.
My advice FWIW:

Take the Spider back cause it is just awful (sorry dspellman). If you get an irig or other interface that works with your ipad it opens up a whole world of great guitar tones. Just in ipad Garageband there are some pretty excellent amp sims that will have you onstage with Jimi or Carlos at Woodstock in 1969. Yep, I am a fan of Santana early guitar tone and I use Garageband often.

I am not much of a Frontman fan unless it is squeaky clean you are after. For a low cost practice amp with good vintage tones I prefer Roland Cube, Fender Vibro Champ XD, or Vox Valvetronix. Good luck and good hunting!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 28, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
My advice FWIW:

Take the Spider back cause it is just awful (sorry dspellman). If you get an irig or other interface that works with your ipad it opens up a whole world of great guitar tones. Just in ipad Garageband there are some pretty excellent amp sims that will have you onstage with Jimi or Carlos at Woodstock in 1969. Yep, I am a fan of Santana early guitar tone and I use Garageband often.

I am not much of a Frontman fan unless it is squeaky clean you are after. For a low cost practice amp with good vintage tones I prefer Roland Cube, Fender Vibro Champ XD, or Vox Valvetronix. Good luck and good hunting!

Thank you all for the replies. And Cajundaddy thanks for the alternative options to consider .
If you like Santana you might enjoy his book "Universal Tone". Got a copy from the library and it's surprisingly a good read so far.
By Santana you mean the guy that used all kinds of mind altering substances to find his 3rd eye and the key to the Universe through music but can't be bothered to learn a 2nd scale all his life?

Yeah, he's got some interesting *far out* ideas. If only he'd learn E phrygian minor or something.
Page 1 of 2