Hey all, I have a question about my Marshall amp.

I bought this amp new from a store about a year ago... used it a few times here and there, jammed with some friends... nothing crazy. I always let the tubes warm up for 30 seconds or better. One time I went to play and the sound is real quiet and sounds terrible. Almost similar to active pickups needing new batteries. I tried some real basic troubleshooting, tried a different guitar, checked around back of amp for anything glaringly obvious and found nothing. Any idea what the problem might be? I would like to think the tubes would last a lot longer then they did (probably only had 20 hours tops on them) but could it be the power tubes? Anyways, any suggestions or ideas would help! Thanks.
Sounds like a preamp tube. They do usually last longer but like any other part they'll sometimes go on vacation a bit early.
Roc8995 is there anyway to check visually or possibly bypass the preamp to check? I have a line 6 pod that I use for my computer if that could somehow be looped in.
+1Roc8995 that is what I would do.

I would retube the whole thing, the stock tubes are rarely decent. then you will have the old ones for backup.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mxracer591
Roc8995 is there anyway to check visually or possibly bypass the preamp to check? I have a line 6 pod that I use for my computer if that could somehow be looped in.
The amp has an effects loop, right? Try plugging the guitar directly into just the effects return. If that works just fine (all preamp controls will be inactive) then you know your power section is fine. As others have said though, get a spare set of tubes- its smart practice to have on hand. Find the culprit that is currently in your amp, throw it away or put it up as decoration, then re-tube the amp.