Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone, I'm planning to update my gear soon, but to be honest, I'm totally dumb talking about good guitars and amps.

I started playing two years ago. I have Washburn RX10 and Fender 10G amp. I'm not satisfied at the quality of the sound and etc. But on the other hand I am not that experienced. I can play few Metallica songs, now trying to learn my first solo part.

What I want to ask, is that I can spend about 500 USD for this right now. And I am wondering what should I buy first, guitar or the amp? I was thinking about buying a new amp first, but not sure about that. What models should I look for talking about this price? Mostly I play metal like metallica, pantera songs.
Made in Mexico stratocaster used. Take the extra $300, put it on a Blackstar HT-1R.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
'17 Gibson Les Paul Standard
60s Gibson Les Paul Tribute
'16 Fender MIA Stratocaster
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Oh yeah, if you go used MIM Fender for $250-$300, later on you can pimp that shit out in 2-3 months by updating the pickups & the electronics. I had a 96 MIM Fender strat, I put a JB Jr mini humbucker in the bridge, Texas Special in the middle & a Lil 59 mini humbucker in the neck. Sound wise that guitar could do anything from Sabbath to clean Eric Clapton tones. I gave it to my Dad as a gift only because I have a 2016 American Standard strat. Sound wise the MIM may have even sounded better than the American, but I kept the American because it felt like butter. That Mexico strat could take you into the land of milk & honey though.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Quote by dudeperfect13
Hey, thank you for a reply. Are you talking about this amp?
http://www.midiaudio.com/product/blackstar-ht--1r-combo

The problem about pickups is that I do not know a single thing about them and nearby there is no guitar master that can do some configurations.

Yes & I own one. It was my practice amp before I had enough money to afford my Marshall DSL5C. I still play it. I usually play my Les Pauls through my Marshall & my Strats through my Blackstar so I don't have to mess with any settings or make tone adjustments, just plug n play.

As far as shopping for pickups, grab a piece of paper & a pen, start watching YouTube videos on American Specials, Standards, Custom Shop & other guitars that you like the sound of. Let me highly recommend it one more time, JB Jr. in the bridge, Texas Special in the middle & Lil 59 in the neck. You cannot go wrong.

Hope that helps. With $500, you can make that money go a long way & yes you can get intermediate gear with that kind of money.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Ok, but you are talking about variety of sounds. The problem is that I do not like all kind of music to play. i would like to get best possible results playing metal, than to be able to play all kind of stuff.

Is your offer still suits my needs?
dudeperfect13
Quote by dudeperfect13
Ok, but you are talking about variety of sounds. The problem is that I do not like all kind of music to play. i would like to get best possible results playing metal, than to be able to play all kind of stuff.

Is your offer still suits my needs?

Yes, the JB/59 is a classic combo. It is used in the ESP LTD EC-1000FM, so maybe you should type that into YouTube & do your own review. Anybody that tells you that you can't playing metal on a Stratocaster is an idiot. Iron Maiden uses strats. It's not like deathcore or anything, but I know for a fact that you can play Sabbath & Metallica on it. The only thing is, you can play other stuff on it too. Like Blues, Classic Rock, Country, whatever the hell you want to play. JB/Texas/59 is one of the best pickup configurations for strats.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Nov 27, 2016,
Forgot to mention the ESP LTD EC-1000FM.

Not the Black one, the orangish red one.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Okey, but I can't find in a catalog 96 MIM Fender guitar. Maybe you have some alternatives to that?
It is really tough to get rare guitars in the place where I live.

yeah I just looked up ESP LTD EC-1000, sounds great on metal too. The problem is that I can't buy it anywhere in here. I guess shipping from USA through Atlantic would cost me twice as much as a guitar?
Last edited by dudeperfect13 at Nov 27, 2016,
dudeperfect13

Doesn't have to be a '96, get a Mexico '95-Present. Focus on how the neck feels, sound matters nothing if you are going to gut the electronics later.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Thank you man. You helped me a lot. I wonder if changing pickups by myself would be a good idea if I havent done that before? Cause as I said before, I have no idea where could I find a professional to do the job.
dudeperfect13

Do you have an eBay where you live? I'd check for an EC-1000 or a MIM strat. The EC-1000 would likely eat up your entire budget, but if you don't want a project, I'm thinking maybe you should just go with that & get the amp later. I have seen tons of used EC-1000s used for $400-$450.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
I think I could order from ebay.co.uk, but is it a good idea to buy a guitar, especially used one, when you never heard how it sounds?
dudeperfect13

That's probably your best bet. Sometimes you have to make an educated decision. The key to ordering online is to find a place with a good return policy in case you don't like it.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
One question came to my mind. If I can buy those pickups, and change them. Maybe get some other strings, then what is left unique about a guitar brand? Doesn't pickups and strings are keys to how guitar sounds?
dudeperfect13

Pretty much. Strings, pickups & new pots (I recommend 250k) will make your $300 mexi sound like a $1,200 guitar, I shit you not.

I may catch flak for this, but I think Ernie Ball regular slinkies are the best strings I ever tried.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Nov 27, 2016,
I guess I will try to do those modifications. Thank you again. In last few hours I learned more about guitars than in last two years
Personally, I'D upgrade the amp first. Find something voiced for metal. Then save up for a new axe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Personally, I'D upgrade the amp first. Find something voiced for metal. Then save up for a new axe.

What amp would you suggest for metal under 3-4 hundred USD?
dudeperfect13 I'm assuming from your desire to buy from ebay.co.uk, you're in the U.K. And I really don't know what genre-appropriate amps are in your price range over there.

That said, my first instincts would be Jet City. Laney or Blackstar should have reasonable options available in that price range, too. You also might be able to find a decent small and/or used Orange as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Im not from the UK, but I live in Europe, so I guess shipping won't be that expensive as shipping from United States.
A strat is not what I would suggest for metal.

I'm also in the get a new amp first amp if your guitar is suitable/functional for now.

It helps if we know where you are from a used market perspective. For $350 in the USA I'd say look for a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo but those seem to be way more expensive in Europe.

In Europe for metal I'd look at a Laney IronHeart or an Engl. The higher gain Jet City get a lot of love too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I keep forgetting Engl.

alhaq369
I just ordered Blackstar HT-1R
What guitar would you suggest then for metal? As I said before, I don't think it would be a problem to replace pickups and strings.

I have one question: am I right that when you play, you choose what pickup to use and only that pickup effects the sound at one time? So for example if I am short on money, can I buy only one pickup that best suits for metal and play on that? Or things are more tricky?
Last edited by dudeperfect13 at Nov 27, 2016,
Jackson, Ibanez, ESP/LTD are the basics but there are really too many to list.

How about waiting until you get your new amp in and see what your sound is missing?

Can you go play any guitars to get a feel for what you like or are you going to purchase blindly based off of the Internet?
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by dudeperfect13
I just ordered Blackstar HT-1R
What guitar would you suggest then for metal? As I said before, I don't think it would be a problem to replace pickups and strings.

I have one question: am I right that when you play, you choose what pickup to use and only that pickup effects the sound at one time? So for example if I am short on money, can I buy only one pickup that best suits for metal and play on that? Or things are more tricky?

Sweet dude! Not a bad choice. I was just playing my Standard LP through it & it sounded great distorted, I have an original song that kind of sounds like Seek & Destroy. If you like Metallica, you will like this amp.

Once again, if you buy some $200 guitar, you're not really going to improve your situation. I think you have three options:

1.) Buy a cheap beginner guitar. (which is pretty much what you already have.)

2.) Buy a Mexican Strat for $250-$300. (That can be upgraded with custom pickups to your exact preferences.)

3.) Save up cash & get something amazing.

If you decide to save up for something amazing, I already threw the MIM Strat out there, but what do you think about a Gibson Les Paul Tribute? Or a Gibson SG Faded. I have yet to hear anybody say anything bad about those guitars. I own a 60s Tribute with P90s & I love it.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Any idea how thick of a neck you like?

For thickness:
ESP/LTD Thin U > Jackson Compound radius > Ibanez Wizard.

There are long list of metal players for each brand/neck profile.

I'm assuming you will buy new so get the highest model number/series you can afford.

For Jackson I'd look at the X series, ESP/LTD the 400 series.

If you go used you get more bang for your buck.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by NewDayHappy
Sweet dude! Not a bad choice. I was just playing my Standard LP through it & it sounded great distorted, I have an original song that kind of sounds like Seek & Destroy. If you like Metallica, you will like this amp.

Once again, if you buy some $200 guitar, you're not really going to improve your situation. I think you have three options:

1.) Buy a cheap beginner guitar. (which is pretty much what you already have.)

2.) Buy a Mexican Strat for $250-$300. (That can be upgraded with custom pickups to your exact preferences.)

3.) Save up cash & get something amazing.

If you decide to save up for something amazing, I already threw the MIM Strat out there, but what do you think about a Gibson Les Paul Tribute? Or a Gibson SG Faded. I have yet to hear anybody say anything bad about those guitars. I own a 60s Tribute with P90s & I love it.

No on the Strat. Frankly nothing you've said tells me that you have any idea about "metal" setups.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
No on the Strat. Frankly nothing you've said tells me that you have any idea about "metal" setups.

Ever heard of Dave Murray of Iron Maiden? He uses hot rails in his strat.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
NewDayHappy
Ever read or listened to his interview? He even says that it as an odd setup and he really has to work at getting the strat to sound how he wants it. Besides Iron Maiden isnt very heavy sounding on the guitars by today's generic "metal" label and yes I've listened to Maiden for 25+ years.

I have a MIM strat and its the LAST electric I pickup to play metal - granted it has the stock SSS pickups.

My Jackson or LTD with EMG 81s or Jackson with a SD Distortion into the Vintage or Modern mode on my Dual Rec Roadster is metal.

The short of this is there are better tools for the job.

If the thread starter wanted a jack of all trades guitar then sure get a HSS strat with a JB in the bridge but that's specifically not what they are asking for.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Jimmy Page used a Telecaster for much of Led Zeppelins stuff.

Jim Root of Slipknot has used a Telecaster as well.

Eddie Van Halen used an HSS Strat.

Please think before you post.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
NewDayHappy

Ditto.

Paige doesn't equal metal.

Jim Root has active EMG Humbuckers In his extremely custom telecaster.

Van Halen doesn't equal metal.

Are we taking classic rock here?

I'm done. Good night man. Just don't think we're going to agree here!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
NewDayHappy
Ever read or listened to his interview? He even says that it as an odd setup and he really has to work at getting the strat to sound how he wants it. Besides Iron Maiden isnt very heavy sounding on the guitars by today's generic "metal" label and yes I've listened to Maiden for 25+ years.

I have a MIM strat and its the LAST electric I pickup to play metal - granted it has the stock SSS pickups.

My Jackson or LTD with EMG 81s or Jackson with a SD Distortion into the Vintage or Modern mode on my Dual Rec Roadster is metal.

The short of this is there are better tools for the job.

If the thread starter wanted a jack of all trades guitar then sure get a HSS strat with a JB in the bridge but that's specifically not what they are asking for.

+1. a strat is a bad choice for metal. Maiden is great but (as MM said), is from a tone perspective not modern metal, not even metallica (maybe the black album a bit and beyond).

NewDayHappy i think you are the one who needs to think before they post.

so yeah, jim root plays a tele, with EMG's. the only thing in common is the shape.

paige is not metal. good tones though.

EVH - not really metal either (as MM said), his later models are different than the strat (yes i own a peavey wolfgang). Plus the strat is flat out butchered not like a used MIM.

MIM's aren't bad guitars (i have owned a dozen and have one at the moment) i just don't think it is the best option for the OP.

there are better tools for the job.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

"Trashed's Shop is OPEN!!! Come on in and Check it out! (FRIDAY 2017-01-18)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Shop Tour!
---> https://youtu.be/KQVlpYaulhA
trashedlostfdup

Could easily put EMGs or Hot Rails in a MIM strat and it's the same damn thing. Wood, body shape has no bearing on a guitars tone. Don't think a Stratocaster can play metal? I'll melt your fucking face off with mine. An HSS strat could easily be metal af. With the double cutaway its perfect for upper fret access as well. Once again, a pointy guitar does not equate to a more metal guitar. Pickups & strings matter most.

Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Nov 28, 2016,
NewDayHappy

I think the point that is being made is that- while you can play certain genres of metal on stock Teles & Strats, and that they can be modified to use pickups more suited to high-gain styles- there are comperably priced guitars out there that are better suited to playing those genres right out of the box. IOW, without additional expenditure of time & money.

So unless there is another reason- such as loving telecaster visual aesthetics or that only Strats feel comfy in your your hands- it makes sense to explore those options.

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz

I'm not going to carry this conversation on anymore, I proved a strat can indeed play metal. I think we both agree that there are other dynamics that play into it. I am however glad he went with the Blackstar, that is one hell of an amp. I think I like my HT-1R better than my DSL5c. Badass little amp.
Martin D-16GT
Takamine EG523SC
Blackstar HT-1R
Marshall DSL5c

alhaq369
Guys. If you are saying that I need to look for some other guitar, not Strat. Then I want to ask, whether it is possible to modify for example cheap Ibanez guitar to sound better as NewDayHappy told about modifying stratocaster? Or If I choose to buy Ibanez or Jackson, I have to look for a better guitar?
There are used Ibanez/Jackson/LTD guitars that you wouldn't have to modify, as they already have "metal-oriented" pickups. LTDs 400 series guitars come to mind. Most come equipped stock with EMGs.

That's my personal recommendation, in my experience 400 series LTDS are solid guitars that sound great out the box. See if you can find a used EC400/401, they are Les Paul-shaped but a bit better setup for metal. If you want a more Strat-like shape, there is the H and MH series.

Jackson and Ibanez also have options in your price range (used), but I'll admit I'm not as familiar with those.

Any guitar you get can be upgraded if you choose too, but there are some that might not need it, and I would wait to hear them first before you make that decision.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Page 1 of 2