Hey guys, so ever since I listened to Oblivion, I have been kinda obsessed with recreating these long sustained bends that brent does in the solo. I know his rig and that they do play loud as hell which obviously helps to create that sustain. I run an Iba TS into a 6505MH and can sorta get a long sustain but falls a bit short in the end. I am wondering if there is a pedal I could get to just ring out the note an extra second or two. Would a digital delay help with that? Or is trying to replicate this just a wild goose chase? If anyone can suggest something else besides a pedal feel free to do so. Thanks to all who help and sorry if this post doesnt belong here wasnt sure exactly where to put it.
are you vibratoing them?

not sure delay is what you want. compression, maybe, but a ts should already be compressing things a lot with your 6505MH.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc I figured the compression on top of pretty high gain would be too much. Yeah I use vibrato on it.
yeah that's possible.

mids will help too. again, your amp and ts should already be pretty middy, though.

it may well just be the volume thing, as you said. i get plenty of sustain with high gain/ts as a boost at low volumes, though, so
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc Yeah i get a shit ton of sustain as well, the problem is very situational for me. I get lots of sustain as well but its the full bends that tend to fade more quickly. So im trying to up the sustain for them. Would you be able to suggest a pedal to increase mids?
Last edited by dosamwolfso at Nov 27, 2016,
I have Sustainers on a few of my guitars. They do this without being plugged into an amp at all. Runs off a 9V battery and will sustain a note as long as the battery lasts.
Quote by dosamwolfso
Dave_Mc Yeah i get a shit ton of sustain as well, the problem is very situational for me. I get lots of sustain as well but its the full bends that tend to fade more quickly. So im trying to up the sustain for them. Would you be able to suggest a pedal to increase mids?

a tubescreamer should increase mids already. failing that, an eq should help.

but i'm not sure that's the problem. are you sure it's not a setup issue on your guitar? what guitar are you using- it doesn't have a small radius or something like that?
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
a tubescreamer should increase mids already. failing that, an eq should help.

but i'm not sure that's the problem. are you sure it's not a setup issue on your guitar? what guitar are you using- it doesn't have a small radius or something like that?

thinking that to cuz if the amp is already got tons of sustain then it's a technique issue or a setup problem that is choking off the notes to soon
Make sure your strings are clean and your frets are in good shape. Once you start to bend and your strings/frets aren't in good shape, the roughness will cause them to hit some friction and ruin the sustain of the note.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
What kind of guitar do you have? Maybe it's a myth or placebo effect, but in my experience, something like a bolt on/Floyd guitar will have less sustain than a neck thru/string thru guitar.

I noticed a significant loss in sustain when I sold my epiphone LP and bought an Ibanez with a trem.