Hi,

I have got a Fender Mustang I modeling amp, and no pedals. I am still learning, so I haven't invested in pedals. I am interested in buying distortion pedal for playing hard rock/metal.

I have three things in my mind. But I couldn't decide what would be best for me. One of my colleagues, who is a (more) experienced guitar player, has recommended me to go for #2, but I would like to listen more people. My options are:
1. Buy Fender On/Off foot switch
2. Buy a proper distortion pedal (preferably, a used one)
3. Buy a digital multi-effect pedal

I am inclined to choose #1, as it will enable me to switch entire pipeline (including amp and cabinet), and not just a distortion mode. I am not in favor of #3, because I heard that multi-effect pedals aren't great in all the effects they say they can deliver. Because I already have a modeling amp, I don't think I'll need all those effects from a multi-effect pedal (except a wah, but then I can get myself a proper wah pedal).

Looking forward to hear your opinions,
Regards
I would likely go for #1, too. I haven't tried your amp, but digital modellers don't always take distortion pedals all that well, and it's entirely possible that the sounds your amp already can make may be better than most pedals (at least through your amp). it'll probably be a fair bit more versatile than a distortion pedal as well since you can switch between any two presets you like.

it's also likely to be at least a bit cheaper than a distortion pedal, plus you won't have to pay for extra cables, batteries/power supply etc.

all of the above assumes that you actually like the heavier sounds out of your amp, lol. but if you don't, don't assume a distortion pedal will solve your problems, either (for the reasons I said above- how a distortion pedal sounds is very dependent on the amp you're using).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thank you for your reply. I am mostly happy with my amp; it serves the purpose of being a good practice amp. I don't have high expectations from it, but I just want to be able to switch the effect while I am practicing. I usually practice all clean parts of songs, go to Fender Fuse (software) or the amp to choose the crunch/distortion preset, and play all distorted parts. It impossible to fluently play some songs I have learned so far, because I have to switch between clean and distorted. I imitate crunch by switching to my humbucker (I have got a Fender Stratocaster HSS), and increase guitar volume knob just a bit. So far, I liked the sound generated from my amp. It's close enough to the original recordings, and there are many settings I haven't touched yet.
Yeah. If that's the case I'd get the amp footswitch, then.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?