So we currently use an 80 watt keyboard/vocal amp for vocals (we don't have a pa system and this amp has 2 inputs - 1 for mic 1 for the keyboard). Unfortunately every time I try and turn the treble or volume up to a volume that can be heard decently above the drums I get really bad feedback (I more or less had the bass and treble at 0 last practice just to avoid the feedback) . Any tips to avoid this? Will running the mic through a mixer first and then to the amp help?
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by Twofly
So we currently use an 80 watt keyboard/vocal amp for vocals (we don't have a pa system and this amp has 2 inputs - 1 for mic 1 for the keyboard). Unfortunately every time I try and turn the treble or volume up to a volume that can be heard decently above the drums I get really bad feedback (I more or less had the bass and treble at 0 last practice just to avoid the feedback) . Any tips to avoid this? Will running the mic through a mixer first and then to the amp help?
Where is the amp relative to the vocals? What mic are you using?

Cutting bass is smart on really any vocal microphone. You may also want to get some sort of outboard graphic or parameteric EQ (preferably the latter) so you can find exactly where the problem frequencies are and cut them.
Quote by Will Lane
Where is the amp relative to the vocals? What mic are you using?

Cutting bass is smart on really any vocal microphone. You may also want to get some sort of outboard graphic or parameteric EQ (preferably the latter) so you can find exactly where the problem frequencies are and cut them.

It's about 3 feet away (really small practice space), however it is not facing the amp (I know that can create even more feedback). I'm using a Shure SM58, pretty decent live microphone, so not sure what could be causing it?
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by Twofly
It's about 3 feet away (really small practice space), however it is not facing the amp (I know that can create even more feedback). I'm using a Shure SM58, pretty decent live microphone, so not sure what could be causing it?
I guess it is just the small space causing the issue. Generally PA mains are quite a bit away from the microphone, 3 feet is not much. However, problem frequencies are around with any sound system. See if you can find a parametric EQ (or a graphic EQ with a lot of sliders) and cut away at problem frequencies.