Hello everyone! I recently started thinking about how Fender amps have an american voiced tone to them, but Vox and Marshall amps have a british voiced tone. Do you think it would be possible for me to get a cheap solid state Fender clean sound without actually getting a solid state Fender amp? I have a Vox AC30, which has a british tone, so I don't even know if it would be possible.

The reason I want a cheap Fender clean tone is because Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead used a Fender Eighty Five with a Marshall Shredmaster (I'm using a Pro Co Rat with a Boss GE-7 to simulate the Shredmaster) and the Fender Eighty Five is a cheap solid state amp. I am also using a Fender USA Tele Pro, which has a humbucker in the bridge (like Jonny). Yes, Jonny used lace sensor dually's, but I don't really see much of a difference between the lace sensor dually's and my humbucker bridge pickup on my American Tele Pro.

I was thinking of using a Boss FDR-1 or FBM-1 to simulate the warm, valve american tones of a Fender amp and use that to counter the bright british tones of the AC30. Would that work? The overall tone I'm trying to get is the lead distortion tone of the song "Just" by Radiohead, and that cheap solid state clean tone along with the Rat II and an EQ pedal (to take out the fizz and boost the mids) would be accurate, wouldn't it?

If you don't think it's possible, what other things could I do to get that Jonny Greenwood "The Bends" overdrive sound? And will the Pro Co Rat II and the Boss GE-7 simulate the Shredmaster well?

And lastly, I am new to the site, so if this post belongs in another thread, then please tell me.

Thanks for helping me if you do!
Last edited by kaiburns1 at Nov 27, 2016,
i have had better luck getting fenders to sound marshally than marshalls to fendery. YMMV.

there aren't a whole lot of decent cheap fender SS amps.

i would encourage you to look into music man. i have a HD130 and a 100RD, can be found under $300-$400 used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

Right now I can't really get a new amp, and if I were to, I would get a combo amp. But, I'll still do research and take a look at those amps.

But, do you think the idea of "using a Boss FDR-1 or FBM-1 to simulate the warm, valve american tones of a Fender amp and use that to counter the bright british tones of the AC30" would work well?
Quote by kaiburns1
trashedlostfdup

Right now I can't really get a new amp, and if I were to, I would get a combo amp. But, I'll still do research and take a look at those amps.

But, do you think the idea of "using a Boss FDR-1 or FBM-1 to simulate the warm, valve american tones of a Fender amp and use that to counter the bright british tones of the AC30" would work well?

I have no experience with the FDR-1 or the FBM-1,but I think (can't think of the right words) its not that simple.

the one thing I would be curious to look into if your vox has an effects loop, would be to get a sansamp pedal and using it as a preamp,and the vox will take care of the rest.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup

Well my AC30 does have an effects loop. What sansamp pedal should it be and how should I use it? Also, I haven't got the Rat II and the GE-7 yet, so I don't know if I will be able to afford (I'm only in 8th grade so I don't have much money) all these pedals right now. And how would putting the pedal behind the amp make it a preamp?
something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tech-21-sansamp-character-series-blonde-v2-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal?cntry=us&source=3WWMWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQiAperBBRDfuMf72sr56fIBEiQAPFXszYVG6WbnGe3VJSYFAo6DbkR7BqWiCsGiYn1tkZfGJRgaAvG38P8HAQ&kwid=productads-adid^156727059247-device^m-plaid^143209120602-sku^H73101000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

an amp has a preamp a a poweramp, the preamp does most o f the tone shaping, the poweramp makes it loud. the FX loop is (to a degree) in the middle, and if you plug into the return, the preamp is bypassed.

I am going to stop here, because i have not attempted this, nor am i a vox buff.

good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup

So, the send of my amp goes into the input of the SansAmp and the output of the SansAmp goes into the return? I think I get it. But I'm a little skeptical. I'll wait for other responses, and see what I can do.
guitar > sansamp > return of FX loop on the vox.

do some more research, as i am not up on vox stuff.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup

Well, if your amp has the effects loop after the master volume, then plugging straight into the effects return will be effectively running the amp at full volume. I've done that before with my amp, and it almost made me deaf, lol. Any other suggestions on stuff I could do?
trashedlostfdup

I guess what I could do is wait until I've got my Rat and GE-7, and then save up for an ABY and one of those music man amps (I heard them on YouTube and they have a great american clean sound which I absolutely love), but I would get a 1x12 cab with it. Or, I could get a Music Man 1x12 combo, because they have a very similar sound.