As the title says, I'm looking at purchasing the aforementioned head and cab, but I've still two quick questions outstanding.

First off, just wondering if that amp combo is likely to be loud enough to gig un-mic'ed? Not that I've anything against mic'd guitar amps, but I'd like to be able to get the volume I want without needing to go to micing.

Secondly, is there likely to be any problem with pairing the head and cab? Although the cab is a 150 watt, it's 2x12, so in the end, it's a 90 watt one side combined with a 60 watt the other side.

Just looking to check these things before I go and spend all the hard earned dough.

Cheers
Quote by jesser2
As the title says, I'm looking at purchasing the aforementioned head and cab, but I've still two quick questions outstanding.

First off, just wondering if that amp combo is likely to be loud enough to gig un-mic'ed? Not that I've anything against mic'd guitar amps, but I'd like to be able to get the volume I want without needing to go to micing.

Secondly, is there likely to be any problem with pairing the head and cab? Although the cab is a 150 watt, it's 2x12, so in the end, it's a 90 watt one side combined with a 60 watt the other side.

Just looking to check these things before I go and spend all the hard earned dough.

Cheers
From what I understand, cab rating is done by taking the speaker of the lowest rating and multiplying it by how many speakers there are on the cab. So it is a 120w cab. Someone could correct me on that though.

Also, a Mesa through a 2x12 at 120w- yeah you'll have enough volume for reasonably sized gigs un-mic'd. I would not try to fill an entire stadium though. The only issue I would be worried about is the cab rating compared to the head- both at 120w. If the amp rating was a little conservative (pushing a bit more than 120w) or the speaker ratings were too liberal (can't handle 120w full-tilt) then you could have problems. Make sure your cab has an impedance rating that matches what the head outputs.
Pretty sure the Mark V is only a 90W amp. The Road King is loaded with V30s, correct? That will give you a 120W cab, and V30s are rated fairly conservatively so I would say you are good to go. I doubt you'll ever need to get close to pushing the full output of the Mark V, anyways. I remember my Mark IV was unbearably loud past 3 on the master volume, as was the Mark III I had, so I imagine that the V is similar in that regard.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
And the sound guy will love not being able to adjust you in the mix. Bet the crowd will love having their heads taken off! Then again, that's why you always bring earplugs to a concert :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
And the sound guy will love not being able to adjust you in the mix. Bet the crowd will love having their heads taken off! Then again, that's why you always bring earplugs to a concert :P
Normally this is me but some venues do not have proper PA support so having the volume available from the amp is better than not having it.

jesser2 If the venue DOES have PA support and a sound guy, mic your amp at a lower volume.
Thanks for all the replies.

The Road King is loaded with a C90 in the right hand side and a V30 in the left hand side.

That was my bad with the amp. It's a 90 watt, but runs on 120 volts. So the seller has recommended a stepdown transformer.

Just to clarify all, I've no problem with being micced. Just don't want to be caught out in a situation where that's not an option, for whatever freak reason.
Quote by jesser2
Thanks for all the replies.

The Road King is loaded with a C90 in the right hand side and a V30 in the left hand side.

That was my bad with the amp. It's a 90 watt, but runs on 120 volts. So the seller has recommended a stepdown transformer.

Just to clarify all, I've no problem with being micced. Just don't want to be caught out in a situation where that's not an option, for whatever freak reason.
So you do not live in the US correct?
Aaaah C90 and V30. Still, you're fine on handling.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.