Hi guys, after not playing guitar for a few years I've decided to pick it back up and I'm not to sure what to get. I am thinking of getting an electric guitar as i already own a Fender CD-60. I however don't own a amp and I'm unsure whether it would be best to get a moderately good electric and save for an amp at a later date or get it all at once and settle for lower quality.

Budget - $350USD ($500NZD)

Favorite Artists - Two guitarists I'd love to replicate are John Mayer and Mark Knopfler. I guess that leaves me looking at a Strat , however open to other suggestions as I do not know a lot about electric guitars

I'm also not fussed whether the guitar is new or used, as I would be interested in doing the guitar up with new pick ups etc.

I am located in New Zealand, however can could buy from USA or Europe as have family in both of these areas

Thank you so much for your advice
1) the amp is the foundation of your tone, and that should be your core purchase. Guys like Mayer & Knopfler value great cleans above all else, and dirty it up as they see fit. Fender, Vox, & Carvin are my usual suspects, but something like a Peavey Delta Blues 115 would also work.

However, if you're not going to be playing with/for others for a while, a portable digital modeler like a Line 6 POD, Korg Pandora, Boss Micro BR series, etc., or a decent Multieffects pedal would be just fine with headphones.

2) a Strat of some kind probably would work best for your purposes. On your budget, I'd look at Mexican-made Fenders, G&L Tributes, Yamaha Pacificas, Godin Progressions, Sessions, or even their discontinued SD (which is a hybrid between a Strat and a Les Paul).

3) I wouldn't even dream of swapping out pickups until you've gotten to try out the guitar and amp in your hands for a while. Months of not years. Not only might the guitar's stock pickups be perfectly fine, it takes some time to train your ear to discern pickup quality. Not only that, the pickups are the least of your worries! Like I said above, the amp forms the core of your tone- what you may perceive as a problem with pickups (assuming you don't like what you hear) may be an issue with your amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz

While I very much agree with all that, higher prices in NZ, or importation costs, as in Oz, might limit the choices a bit. Based on our prices, I'm guessing that a Standard Squier, for example, would use the whole of Billy T's budget.
I'm aware, but Billy_T did say that purchasing through relatives in the USA or EU was an option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz

Maybe even a used one. Freight adds a fair bit, and there might be taxes. For example, Reverb is quoting Oz$273 plus Oz$206 for freight for a used 2000 Squier Standard Strat. That comes to just over NZ$500. I'm sure it can be done cheaper than that, but it gives an indication.
Again, I get it. I suspect that Billy_T will be asking relatives to do a favor. Whether that's eating the shipping costs or bringing it when they visit, who knows.

alhaq369
Used Made in Mexico strat, all day.
Few Fenders, few Gibsons, few amps & other stuff.