I have a Berhinger guitar amp, (don't laugh yet). It's a 60 watt 1 x 12" solid state. OK, I only use the clean channel, (believe it or not, said clean channel is beautiful sounding), basically for amplifying acoustic electric guitars of 6 & 12 string varieties in the house. Generally the volume isn't advanced past 9 o'clock. There's no pregain control on the clean channel, so it isn't being pushed hard. The amp has a dirty channel, but it doesn't get used.

So, we're not running the amp anywhere near full output. Here's my question; the amp has a cooling fan, which is fairly annoying, especially in light of the fact the amp isn't being played loud enough to drown it out. Do you think I could get away with disconnecting it, or installing a switch to turn if off while playing at my normal low volumes, without doing any damage?

I've considered putting a larger, lower RPM fan in the amp, as you would with a computer case. But that would entail chopping big holes into the amp chassis, which I'm hoping to avoid.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 28, 2016,
They wouldn't put a fan in such a cheap little amp if there wasn't a good reason for it to be there.

Without knowing what the fan is actually cooling that's probably the best answer you're going to get.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
^ Yeah pretty much. Not sure what the reliability is like on them compared to, say, Bugera, but you'd have to wonder that they'd put one in if it wasn't absolutely definitely needed.

Can I make that crappy joke again about not realising that Behringers had fans?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Not the answer I was hoping to hear you two. But since I suppose not much has changed about the adage, "discretion is the better part of valor", I'll concede to your assessment(s).

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They wouldn't put a fan in such a cheap little amp if there wasn't a good reason for it to be there....[ ]....
Well, you only score 1 out of 2 on that. It was cheap, not only by virtue of being "made by Berhinger", but by being a closeout model as well. But, it isn't a "little amp.". In fact, at 20" x 20" x 10", it's about the same size as your average 1 x 12" solid state amp.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah pretty much. Not sure what the reliability is like on them compared to, say, Bugera, but you'd have to wonder that they'd put one in if it wasn't absolutely definitely needed.
Well the amp has a "grunge channel" (which I of course, don't use), and their products are aimed at budget buyers. So, defense against some teenage wahoo with a BC Rich, "Warlock", pegging the controls at "11" is most likely why it's needed in the grand scheme of things. So as to prevent the charred remains of the output transistors having to be replaced under warranty, is my best guess..

Quote by Dave_Mc
Dave, I a big boy, I can take it. You can make any crappy joke you feel is appropriate about Berhinger amplifiers.

I just wish English "English", had more than a 25 letter alphabet, so I wouldn't get the squiggly red lines under, anything you you type with an "S", where a "Z" actually belongs. "Realize" Dave, not realise". And keep in mind I do very often type such words as "color", spelled, "colour", undaunted by said red lines under them, to honour (*) my British heritage.

(*) Do you see what I did there?

Anyway guys, believe it or, this Berhinger electric guitar amp, is worlds away superior to my Peavey, "eCoustic 208". Which is a monumental piece of crap with an overall 40db S/N ratio, a stinking noisy analog chorus, a lousy spring reverb, and 2 8" speakers with whizzer cones, which sound like somebody talking with a clothespin on their nose, every time you plug a 12 string into the PoS.

PS you two, thanks for your input!
Quote by Dave_Mc

I think I need one just to cool down that burn.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, you only score 1 out of 2 on that. It was cheap, not only by virtue of being "made by Berhinger", but by being a closeout model as well. But, it isn't a "little amp.". In fact, at 20" x 20" x 10", it's about the same size as your average 1 x 12" solid state amp.

1x12 combos are not exactly 'big' amps but ok.

I just wish English "English", had more than a 25 letter alphabet,

It does; It has 26.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
1x12 combos are not exactly 'big' amps but ok.
Well, granted it's not a 4 x 12" 100 watt head and cab setup, but I do live in a row house. So 60 watts of anything at 3:00AM tends to sound humongous...

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It does; It has 26.
I know, but the poor "Z" gets treated worse than a red headed step child...
Most of the fans I've seen in amps have been standard size computer fans. Usually you can get a part number off of them and order a "silent" drop-in replacement online for a few bucks. Even a nice super-quiet computer fan isn't generally more than $10. Turn the voltage down a bit and you'll probably never even hear it.
Quote by Captaincranky

Well the amp has a "grunge channel" (which I of course, don't use), and their products are aimed at budget buyers. So, defense against some teenage wahoo with a BC Rich, "Warlock", pegging the controls at "11" is most likely why it's needed in the grand scheme of things. So as to prevent the charred remains of the output transistors having to be replaced under warranty, is my best guess..

Dave, I a big boy, I can take it. You can make any crappy joke you feel is appropriate about Berhinger amplifiers.

I just wish English "English", had more than a 25 letter alphabet, so I wouldn't get the squiggly red lines under, anything you you type with an "S", where a "Z" actually belongs. "Realize" Dave, not realise". And keep in mind I do very often type such words as "color", spelled, "colour", undaunted by said red lines under them, to honour (*) my British heritage.

(*) Do you see what I did there?

Anyway guys, believe it or, this Berhinger electric guitar amp, is worlds away superior to my Peavey, "eCoustic 208". Which is a monumental piece of crap with an overall 40db S/N ratio, a stinking noisy analog chorus, a lousy spring reverb, and 2 8" speakers with whizzer cones, which sound like somebody talking with a clothespin on their nose, every time you plug a 12 string into the PoS.

PS you two, thanks for your input!

It may well be great, I haven't tried it. I was just trying to get double the mileage of the crappy fan joke which I used before in another thread about replacing or removing the fan in a Behringer amp

You should probably listen to Roc8995, he knows more about this stuff than I do. If drop-in silent replacements are easily available, that's likely the way to go (assuming you're already out of warranty etc. and you know how not to kill yourself when you have the chassis open).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?