So I got a new Jackson JS32 Kelly recently, and in the future I plan getting some new pickups and replacing the floyd rose. I was wondering How I would know if the Floyd Rose will fit? It has a Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose already, but I'd rather slowly replace it bit by bit, by getting a locking nut and a new arm and then a bridge, springs, stuff like that. Or would any floyd rose series fit it?

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/kelly/models/js-series-kelly-js32-rosewood-fingerboard-snow-white/

Thanks
Epiphone SG Pro Cherry Red
Jackson JS32 Kelly Snow White
Line 6 Spider IV 30
Behringer Ultra Metal UM300
there should be routing templates on the floyd rose site. also check the schaller and gotoh sites for their floyds as well, again they should have routing templates. it's just a matter of doing a bunch of measuring once you have the templates...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

A German Floyd Rose would indeed fit but why would you ever spend that amount of money on such a cheap and mediocre guitar. And this is coming from someone who is a big, big fan of Jacksons.

A German-made Original Floyd Rose and a new set of pickups (to use a Duncan JB/Jazz set for example) will cost as much as what that guitar itself is worth.

You're looking at almost £600 for the guitar + the mods.

You're not too far off buying a brand new MIM Pro series Jackson Dinky for that much.

Or better still, but a used MIJ Pro Series Jackson and be even better off.

What you're planning makes absolutely zero financial sense.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
^ that's a good point. I missed the bit where he said about swapping the pickups too, but even without doing that it's debatable if it's worth it...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

T00DEEPBLUE To a high school student who sucks at saving money and works part time as a cashier with 1-2 shifts a week, a $470 guitar is a masterpiece lol

I get what you're saying though, and I agree. I am new to this, so I didn't really think it all the way through. I do love the feel of it though, I feel like it is a good guitar for the price, and my skill level. The tremolo and pickups aren't as high quality as the neck and body feel, but I don't really mind since I'm not a very advanced player and don't deserve much more at the time.

I am a very big fan of Jackson guitars though, so chances are high that when I do go all out on a guitar, it will be another Jackson. Maybe a V/Rhoads.

I guess I just got lost in a fantasy without thinking of the actual logic and costs of doing it, so thanks for the tips. I plan on getting a new locking nut, because my stupid ass went and tightened the lock that holds the 5th and 6th string too tight, and stripped the inside threads. Since the screw is so short, it won't screw in anymore because it can't reach past the stripped part. Luckily I found a silver phillips head bolt the same size and slightly longer that works perfectly, but I'll never live down the fact I ruined it in one day lol. (I last locked it on day 1 of having it, but on day 3 when I wanted to put new strings on, it was ruined when I took it out.)

In my defense, I was only trying to make it tight enough to actually serve its locking purpose, as it wasn't staying in tune when I dumped the bar. I later realized they likely did not stretch out the strings at the factory. So when I put on the new strings I stretched them reeeally well and locked the make-do bolt in place about half as tight as I had done before and it works perfectly. It looks kinda cool, but still upsets me since it still has its original "new guitar" shine and is already being patched up. I certainly learned my lesson!

So I think some new springs, locking nut, and maybe a new bar will be good enough for this guitar. I find the bar wiggles in its seat a bit, without moving the tremolo. It makes it feel like someday I'll go to smash dat mf whammy and snap it right off.

I'm just glad I screwed this one up now instead of doing it to a $2000 guitar in the future. Same price to replace, but you get the point.
Line 6 Spider IV 30
Quote by patrick.chappell
T00DEEPBLUE To a high school student who sucks at saving money and works part time as a cashier with 1-2 shifts a week, a $470 guitar is a masterpiece lol

I get what you're saying though, and I agree. I am new to this, so I didn't really think it all the way through. I do love the feel of it though, I feel like it is a good guitar for the price, and my skill level. The tremolo and pickups aren't as high quality as the neck and body feel, but I don't really mind since I'm not a very advanced player and don't deserve much more at the time.

I have never understood this mentality that you're 'not good enough' to deserve a better guitar. Your parents probably said that with the best of their intentions when they bought that guitar for you, and justified it with the logic of not wanting to lose as much money if you decided to give up on guitar shortly after starting it. But when you know that you're committed to the hobby and have your own financial means to buy a better quality guitar, then it only makes sense to get the best you can possibly afford, regardless of your skill level. This whole notion of not being able to justify getting a better guitar to play on because you're 'not good enough' is silly and creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I guess I just got lost in a fantasy without thinking of the actual logic and costs of doing it, so thanks for the tips. I plan on getting a new locking nut, because my stupid ass went and tightened the lock that holds the 5th and 6th string too tight, and stripped the inside threads. Since the screw is so short, it won't screw in anymore because it can't reach past the stripped part. Luckily I found a silver phillips head bolt the same size and slightly longer that works perfectly, but I'll never live down the fact I ruined it in one day lol. (I last locked it on day 1 of having it, but on day 3 when I wanted to put new strings on, it was ruined when I took it out.)

Buy a new nut so that the guitar is functional again, but it's a false economy to spend a whole lot more than that. Another fallacy that beginners make is that they think that any so-called 'upgrades' you make to a cheap guitar will increase its value. It doesn't. Buyers of guitars want their guitars in mint condition, and they want them all stock. The more the guitar deviates from those 2 things, the more resale value it loses.

I know you're probably not thinking about selling the guitar right now, but you may want to sell it in the future for a nicer guitar. And it helps to further illustrates the point of expensive upgrades on a cheap guitar is not cost-effective.
So I think some new springs, locking nut, and maybe a new bar will be good enough for this guitar. I find the bar wiggles in its seat a bit, without moving the tremolo. It makes it feel like someday I'll go to smash dat mf whammy and snap it right off.

Before buying anything, wrap the portion of shaft that goes into the sleeve with teflon plumber's tape and that might fix your particular problem. It prevents you from needing to sink yet more money into the guitar.

New trem springs are not going to keep your guitar in tune any better either.
Quote by Axelfox
T00DEEPBLUE Lol I guess you're one of those experienced players that lost your passion of the art and instead of sharing it to new players, you just act like a pretentious ass because you need to swipe up the chance to feel "superior"? I play guitar because I love it. I've been so much happier in life since I started playing. I have so much passion for it, and have tons of fun every time I pick it up. I don't need an expensive guitar to be happy, and neither should you. I love my bottom shelf Jackson!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Buyers of guitars want their guitars in mint condition, and they want them all stock.

I think if they wanted a mint condition guitar with all the stock features, they'd go to a guitar store...

In retrospect posting such a beginners question in a forum for guitar modders may not have been the best way to go.

Thanks for pointing out I shouldn't spend more on the guitar in new parts than I did to buy it. Have a nice day!
I'll try that trick with the tape too!
Line 6 Spider IV 30
Last edited by patrick.chappell at Nov 28, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE Lol I guess you're one of those experienced players that lost your passion of the art and instead of sharing it to new players, you just act like a pretentious ass because you need to swipe up the chance to feel "superior"? I play guitar because I love it. I've been so much happier in life since I started playing. I have so much passion for it, and have tons of fun every time I pick it up. I don't need an expensive guitar to be happy, and neither should you. I love my bottom shelf Jackson!

I have absolutely no clue where you get the idea that I am not passionate about guitar playing and guitars from. I would've assumed that being an elected moderator on this forum would suggest to people who know nothing about me that I at least have some interest in giving people good advice and have a passion for music, otherwise I would've never been elected as a moderator. Oh yeah and there's all the other years of experience I have with guitars and music that extend outside of this forum too. But of course, because it isn't something you see, you've assumed that it doesn't exist.

With that said, I don't think the word 'pretentious' means what you think it means.

If you enjoy your cheap Jackson, then good for you. But I'm not going to blindly praise someone else's decisions when there's objectively a way that delivers a better quality result overall. This forum is about giving advice, not instant validation or instant good feelings.

Your decisions on what you spend your money on do not affect me whatsoever. But you asked the question about upgrading a cheap guitar, and I've given you my answer.
I think if they wanted a mint condition guitar with all the stock features, they'd go to a guitar store...

Or a potential buyer goes online and gets a guitar in near perfect condition and saves a ton of money in the process just because it's technically used?

Who would've ever thought that people in real life actually do that.
In retrospect posting such a beginners question in a forum for guitar modders may not have been the best way to go

We aim to help people no matter how experienced or inexperienced they are. But if there is a better approach to the problem, then it will be raised. Again, validating your feelings isn't what this forum is for.
Quote by Axelfox
T00DEEPBLUEYou're right. Me saying that to you doesn't make me any better than the person I assumed you were, but I still think it's a little strange to not consider that I can't exactly afford an expensive guitar, but CAN afford inexpensive parts. Sure they add up after a while but they're affordable on their own, and you can make use of them right away. (as opposed to saving $1500 for a new guitar, which I'll put off until some time after college)

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Or a potential buyer goes online and gets a guitar in near perfect condition and saves a ton of money in the process just because it's technically used?

Who would've ever thought that people in real life actually do that.

My bad. People here only ever use mint to literally mean perfectly new condition, like an unopened game, or in this case, a guitar that has never been played, or even taken out of the box. I always forget people usually use it online to say used, but like new.

It doesn't matter how many times either of us reply... We obviously don't see things the same here. I mean, I claim that you don't consider my situation, yet don't even put the thought into your situation. You did help, but clearly I have a lot of mistakes to make before learning what you've learned. I like learning the hard way, because honestly, I'm a stubborn idiot.
Line 6 Spider IV 30
T00DEEPBLUEYou're right. Me saying that to you doesn't make me any better than the person I assumed you were, but I still think it's a little strange to not consider that I can't exactly afford an expensive guitar, but CAN afford inexpensive parts. Sure they add up after a while but they're affordable on their own, and you can make use of them right away. (as opposed to saving $1500 for a new guitar, which I'll put off until some time after college)

I appreciate that what you're devising is cheaper in the short term, but in the long term you're going to be spending the same amount of money you would've spent had you just been more patient, saved up and bought a better quality guitar in the first place. You'll be far happier you did that in the long term and even in the shorter term you'll be happier because you know you're making the correct decision by not succumbing to instant gratification.

You do not need to spend $2000 to get a quality guitar like you might've had to 50 years ago, but when it comes to cheap guitars like JS series Jacksons, Ibanez GIO's, cheap LTD's, cheap Epiphones etc. you still very much do get what you pay for. I understand that saving up money for gear is really hard when you're only a college student; I was in a similar predicament when I was a university student just a couple of years ago. Coming from someone who has been there and done that, I decided to be patient and save, using the prospect of owning the pieces of gear I really wanted to motivate me to work hard. I was okay with it because I knew that in the end I was making the right decision.

If you're willing to go used, you have a ton of great options. Look at the mid-late 2000's Japanese-made Pro Series Jackson Dinkys you see on ebay. You can buy those guitars for $400 used all day and the only thing you'll need to do to them is replace the Floyd with an OFR and you've got a great guitar that'll last forever. Seems a bit silly to suggest spending quite a lot of money on a new Floyd on that guitar when I had just said earlier not to on another guitar. But the quality of the MIJ Jacksons for the price used means they punch far above their weight to the point where it's one of the few situations where spending the money on a new Floyd is actually financially viable. If you want to upgrade the Floyd on any guitar, upgrade it on one of those.

<5 minutes searching on ebay yields a DK2M, a DK2, a DKMG, an RR3 and a KE3. I would've liked the DK2M the most if not for the previous owner replacing the Duncan pickups with generic no-name ones, but you get the point. There's a strong market for these guitars.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JACKSON-DK2-DK2M-DINKY-JAPAN-BLACK-MAPLE-UPGRADED-CUSTOM-WIRED-CASE-/112212873667?hash=item1a206891c3:g:WGkAAOSwiONYNGvw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jackson-dk2-/282272818714?hash=item41b8c5661a:g:~vAAAOSwo4pYMz~s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MADE-IN-JAPAN-Jackson-DKMG-DINKY-Guitar-Lic-By-Floyd-Rose-W-EMG-Humbuckers-/232158217454?hash=item360db544ee:g:X70AAOSwpLNX7Y5w

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-RR3-Randy-Rhoads-Guitar-in-Satin-Black-and-Chrome-/172423733671?hash=item28254161a7:g:EDUAAOSw4GVYOxxj

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-KE3-made-in-Japan-guitar-/272432378542?hash=item3f6e3c32ae:g:eyEAAOSwCGVX3vtb
My bad. People here only ever use mint to literally mean perfectly new condition, like an unopened game, or in this case, a guitar that has never been played, or even taken out of the box. I always forget people usually use it online to say used, but like new.

It doesn't matter how many times either of us reply... We obviously don't see things the same here. I mean, I claim that you don't consider my situation, yet don't even put the thought into your situation. You did help, but clearly I have a lot of mistakes to make before learning what you've learned. I like learning the hard way, because honestly, I'm a stubborn idiot.

I wouldn't call yourself a stubborn idiot, you just weren't aware that there were better alternatives and as a newcomer that's perfectly normal. When I first started I didn't know any more than you did. Everyone has to begin somewhere.
Quote by Axelfox

I think if they wanted a mint condition guitar with all the stock features, they'd go to a guitar store...!

I buy used guitars, but I generally want them to be in great condition with all original parts. I'll usually shy away from modified guitars because 1.) The modifications done are usually not what I would do and 2.) I have no idea what the quality of the work is. I've seen far too many hack jobs. If, for some reason, I really want the guitar and am willing to ignore what's been added on, I'll usually offer far less than what the guitar would be worth if it were stock. That upsets the folks who view their precious modifications as "upgrades," but they've consciously narrowed their potential sales audience when they modify the guitar and that's usually not a good resale decision.
T00DEEPBLUE Lol I guess you're one of those experienced players that lost your passion of the art and instead of sharing it to new players, you just act like a pretentious ass because you need to swipe up the chance to feel "superior"?

OR, he's just as passionate about guitar as you are and is offering you the benefit of that experience. The old adage is, "You have two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you talk."
To a high school student who sucks at saving money...

This may be something you'll want to fix first, before "fixing" stuff on your guitar.
Chill.. everyone has good intentions.. OP asked for advice on upgrading his guitar.. moderator shared his opinion as a veteran guitar player.. that the parts of upgrades alone are more than the guitar.. if you are comfortable with the guitar.. try minor upgrades, the tape is very economical and good tip.. personally I get attached to my guitar.. I may buy the higher end guitar which doesn't need upgrades.. but I find it more fun to customize/ upgrade my guitar to what I envision and feel.. it is not smart idea because if I sell her I will not be able to recoup the parts I put in.. (I'm not selling so it is my choice) same as you.. you asked and someone answered.. if you don't like their answer. You don't immediately snap and say mind your own business.. it ain't right. Play on.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Nov 29, 2016,
psp742 Yeah, definitely not cool of me to react that way so quickly. I guess saying my parents bought me the guitar pissed me off because this is the first thing I really saved up for lol. And I used to go on Omegle on the guitar tag and state that I was a beginner and then the people on the other end far more experienced would pick out everything I was doing wrong and instead of helping, just telling me it sucked, whilst playing Master of Puppets. Like seriously, I met three different people playing the same riff from Master of Puppets. Kinda made me think most good players were just really stuck up and full of themselves, thankfully that's not the case

Also, I don't wanna sell this guitar as of right now, but someday I probably will, because I love the Explorer inspired shape and will most likely just get a better Kelly, and won't really need the cheaper one. The only guitar I'm 100% never selling is my SG, as it already has sentimental value from being what I made a ton of my first progress on.
Line 6 Spider IV 30
Quote by dspellman
I buy used guitars, but I generally want them to be in great condition with all original parts. I'll usually shy away from modified guitars because 1.) The modifications done are usually not what I would do and 2.) I have no idea what the quality of the work is. I've seen far too many hack jobs. If, for some reason, I really want the guitar and am willing to ignore what's been added on, I'll usually offer far less than what the guitar would be worth if it were stock. That upsets the folks who view their precious modifications as "upgrades," but they've consciously narrowed their potential sales audience when they modify the guitar and that's usually not a good resale decision.

Agreed- and the other thing that's worth noting is, even if the prospective buyer *does* like the upgrades, quite a few of those will pretend that they don't to get the thing cheaper- because they know that most people will pay more for a stock instrument.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman