So I currently own a Fender frontman 25r and I love it, it's great for the music I play, usually thrash metal like Metallica and Kreator and other music like heavy metal. Then on the clean channel I play other music and it sounds good and I occasionally plug in my acoustic guitar. The question I have is that I found a Fender Princeton 65 DSW online for $125 USD and I was wondering if it would be better or worse than my amp at home. (I paid $40 for mine)
Quote by theawesomecactus
So I currently own a Fender frontman 25r and I love it, it's great for the music I play, usually thrash metal like Metallica and Kreator and other music like heavy metal. Then on the clean channel I play other music and it sounds good and I occasionally plug in my acoustic guitar. The question I have is that I found a Fender Princeton 65 DSW online for $125 USD and I was wondering if it would be better or worse than my amp at home. (I paid $40 for mine)
Neither of those amps I would want to use for Thrash metal. Save up some more money and you might could find a Peavey Vypyr (Tube 60) used, tones will be much more worthwhile and inspiring.
If you want a cheap amp that can do a lot of great metal sounds, look at an older Princeton 112 Plus. I have one from around 1996 that I got for $150 as a backup. It'll do Ozzy, Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, etc close enough. It's amazing for a cheap SS amp, & it gets plenty loud & retains tone decently enough for most gigs at small clubs. I found out about the 112 Plus from Terry Lauderdale (one of the guitar players for the VH cover band Hot For Teacher). I haven't played a Frontman in years, so I don't know "how much better" the 112 Plus would sound by comparison, but I imagine it'd be a serious step up. I used to have different clips in my profile using the 112 Plus, my SLO 100, an EVH 5150 III, & a Mojave Scorpion re-amp rig, & no one could tell the 112 Plus from the others. But- like diabolical stated above, you may be better off just saving up some more cash for a "big boy" amp, because it will sound much better than most SS amps as you play at louder volumes.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
diabolical Okay, so what could be some "big boy" amps? I would like something that sounds good at bedroom level and for just jamming. (I don't gig and probably won't for a few years.) Also when I solo using my frontman there is always lots of extra noise and I'm not sure if it's just my playing or my guitar or the amp, but if its the amp I would want an amp to get rid of that.
The more distortion (gain) you use the more you also amplify the noise. There are noise gates to clamp on some of that.

As far as "big boy" amps, look at the Marshall DSL series, Orange Dark/Dual Terror, Laney IRT series, check some Youtube videos of these and see what you like. Generally I am referring to good tube amps that you won't mind owning for a longer period of time.

Off the bat, the Marshall DSL40C, Peavey 6505 combo and Valveking combo are among probably the more popular choices on this forum. For thrash the 6505 will probably be a better option out of the 3 or the DSL with a boost in front can get you that Metallica/Slayer tone of their mid career.
diabolical Thanks, I'll check them out and check out some noise gates too. I've heard a bit about the 6505 but I've never heard one so I'll definitely check them out.