I am looking to buy either a peavey vip 2 or a katana boss amp and I mostly play avenged sevenfold and three days grace. Bands like that. People suggested that I go to a guitar center and try each out but the thing is I'm an okay guitar player. But not great and every time I go to one there are people that are freaking soloing and doing crazy shit. I am just a little self-concious about my guitar skills and wouldn't want to play in front of people. What should I do?
Quote by gu1tarn00b
I am looking to buy either a peavey vip 2 or a katana boss amp and I mostly play avenged sevenfold and three days grace. Bands like that. People suggested that I go to a guitar center and try each out but the thing is I'm an okay guitar player. But not great and every time I go to one there are people that are freaking soloing and doing crazy shit. I am just a little self-concious about my guitar skills and wouldn't want to play in front of people. What should I do?
Don't worry about it. Most of the kids there are not doing serious critical analysis of the amps but just trying to show off (and usually doing a pretty bad job of it). Just go there, play stuff that helps demonstrate the equipment to you- be simple. You don't have to make the GC employees worship you to buy gear. If an employee tries to force an item on you, just decline.

Your choices in amps (not necessarily bad but not necessarily good) do show the kind of amp market you are looking into, for better or for worse. If you answer these questions we might could help you out in choosing something more worthwhile and inspiring for you.

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 28, 2016,
Do you have any tips of what would help demonstrate them. Should I just Play stuff that I normally play? Like a a7x song I already know?
Well unfortunately, if you want to demo amps there's really not a much better way than going to the store. I'd recommend just playing the stuff you are comfortable playing, don't worry about showing off. The folks that go and hang out all day at Guitar Center to show off their sweet licks aren't making it as professionals anyway, so it's not like they have a leg to stand on in judging you.

If I'm demoing amps, I'll typically pluck out a few simple riffs to see how the amp handles that sort of thing, then I'll hold a few notes out to see how it does with sustain and such, try all the channels this way, and that's that. Don't worry about all the "rockstars," most of them are there to inflate their own egos.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
suck it up buttercup. Seriously who cares, are you going to see these people again? You aren't there to perform for people so don't feel like you have to, guitar center doesn't care, they just want your money. Everybody is at different levels of playing ability, even shred master mcshredderson - who spends all day at GC to show off once sucked at guitar and still needed to try out gear.
Just remember, every single guitarist in that store has been at your skill level, or will be, at one point during their guitarist life. Nothing to be ashamed about.
Quote by gu1tarn00b
Do you have any tips of what would help demonstrate them. Should I just Play stuff that I normally play? Like a a7x song I already know?

Play what you need to play so that you can get a good idea of the amp you want to buy and if it can do the things you want it to do. You play A7X and metal stuff so try that. Like people say, you're not there to impress so don't worry about what other people are playing. Just keep it simple and get a good idea of the sound because that's why you're trying out the amp in the first place.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
you won't get used to playing in front of others until you start doing it. as has been said don't sweat it. sure there will always be "that guy" you know the one the blazes perfectly then plays some sweet blues riff but keep in mind that the rest are just that the rest and probably no better than you.

as for testing an amp yes play what you know but be sure to check out features as well. clean channel, dirt channel fx in the case of a modeler. be sure you like what you hear (but be reasonable with your expectations) .
okay, thank you guys I'll just go ahead and try some out. But seriously, thanks. I expected nothing but comments saying rude' stuff but really didn't get any. I'm going to go try them out but I'm also curious in if you guys have an opinion to which amp you would prefer.
haven't even seen the new Boss Katana so can't comment on that. the Peavey seems like it would be ideal for what you want though. oh and we're nice folks here. we've all been a new player and cringed at the thought of playing in front of others especially at a place like GC.
I'll take it one farther than monwobobbo , when I first joined a band I was so nervous during the audition I actually went to GC afterwards just to calm down and get used to playing in front of people (band mates ) , who gives a F*#K about who's in GC after all ?? lol ... and yes I'm still in the Band
gu1tarn00b

1) check if you can rent the amp for a day, if not
2) check if you can buy it and return it - sometimes they will only charge a small re-stocking fee.

Testing an amp in the store doesn't cut it - you need to spend time in your own listening environment to really judge and amp properly
reverb66

normally I'd agree but he's a new player so this may not apply. I can usually get an idea of whether I like an amp or not at the store. if it doesn't cut it there the not likely to change my mind at home. at store can be good as it isn't much different from a crappy venue that you may end up playing.
Quote by gu1tarn00b

That's only because whipping your dick out and jerking off on everyone is illegal.

I was the same way dude, now, I don't give a shit. You're not playing guitar for them. You're playing for you. Get in there and go try out your soon-to-be-next-amp!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Man, don't worry about what other people think. You're learning. You're going to be sub par at first. The workers will be more than happy to help you out. They even have a lessons department that offer free lessons on special weekends. Most of the time the people testing don't know what they are doing either and only play what they know to get a head turn or 2.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Always try to keep in mind- "I'm here to test the gear, not to impress anyone." It's true, and sometimes it helps, though it is easier said than done, too.

I know I was trying out some acoustics recently (i'm much more an electric player) and I was pretty shy and nervous. Also it depends on how nice the shop staff is as well, some nice ones will put you totally at east, but some can be dicks. A lot of it is just luck unfortunately.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?