Poll Options
View poll results: What should I do?
Keep guitar and put a wrap on it
3 60%
Get the Xplorer Studio
0 0%
Get the 2016 Explorer
0 0%
Other (don't tell me to buy another guitar)
2 40%
Voters: 5.
I am having a major dilemma here. I recently bought my first nice guitar, a Gibson Explorer. I found a 2012 that had been sitting in a nearby store, brand new, for $950 with a hard case and a strap. I have never played a guitar that felt or sounded better, and despite not owning one, I have played nice guitars before. The only problem: It's cream colored with a white pickguard. Not my taste. However, there are plus sides to this guitar over a different color or variation. Because it is white, it has an ebony fretboard, which I really like. I can't get that in any other color.

If I do decide to return it, I'm considering two models. A cherry 2016 Explorer, and I will put a black pickguard on it, and a red Xplorer Studio. It is not easy to find much information on these, but they have a smaller basswood body and mini humbuckers. They seem to be pretty rare, but I found one for a good price. Both guitars are about $800. I have to decide by Wednesday, as that is when my return period ends.

If I do keep the Explorer, I think that I would put a wrap on it, so that I would like the current look, and could remove it if I desire down the road. However, this would be a more expensive solution to a different guitar.

Should I wrap my current guitar or buy one of the other two? If I get a different one, which one should I get?
if it's the best playing and sounding guitar you've ever had then I'd just live with it. not like it's shocking pink or something. change the pickguard that's cheap.
I'd keep it and see if over time, it still is the best guitar you've ever played. If it is, you can always get it refinished should you so desire. It's an investment that's usually not worth it since it devalues your guitar, but if you know you're keeping it, you could go for it and get it in any colour you like.

Should you want to part with it later on, I think enough people would want to take it off your hands.

EDIT: didn't read the wrapping part. That's a nice option too.
Last edited by I K0nijn I at Nov 28, 2016,
The reason that I am considering the other two, is because the 2016 is identical to my current one, except for the fretboard material (it's rosewood) and the color. The other one that I am considering is an identical neck. So they should in theory feel very similar, if not the same.
Quote by hajoedenbaum
The reason that I am considering the other two, is because the 2016 is identical to my current one, except for the fretboard material (it's rosewood) and the color. The other one that I am considering is an identical neck. So they should in theory feel very similar, if not the same.

on paper yes but guitars tend to be an individual thing and no 2 are exactly alike. color is the last thing to worry about. giving up a great feeling (and don't underestimate the ebony fretboard) and sounding guitar over color is silly. I play strats which in theory should all be basically the same but believe me they're not. I play dozens of strats every year but have only found a couple that I really love in terms of sound and feel.
Dude I have guitars I think are uglier than a sack of assholes, Don't keep me from liking and playing them, Hell just like guitars I like all women, even the ugly ones, Heck 18 to 80 blind , crippled, crazy or just plain butt ugly, if you cant walk or crawl I'll drag you,
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 28, 2016,
Quote by monwobobbo
on paper yes but guitars tend to be an individual thing and no 2 are exactly alike. color is the last thing to worry about. giving up a great feeling (and don't underestimate the ebony fretboard) and sounding guitar over color is silly. I play strats which in theory should all be basically the same but believe me they're not. I play dozens of strats every year but have only found a couple that I really love in terms of sound and feel.
Especially with Gibson.

The 2 I still have are not the ones with the finish that caught my eye; they're the ones that felt totally effortless to play.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Keep the guitar you currently have if you really enjoy playing it and love how it feels.

The ebony fretboard is a big selling point in terms of feel and people would be clamor at the opportunity to own an Explorer that has one. They're not nearly as common as they used to be.

Buyers remorse is a bigger risk with Gibsons than most other brands as they do often vary.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Wrap or plasti dip don't look the same as paint. If color is that big a deal for you, you could have it painted. The value will likely diminish with this option.

If your wallet is fat enough order the color you want. Keep whichever you like best, return the one you don't.
Keep it and make some minor cosmetic changes such as pick plate, knobs etc. or buy the 2016 and hope you like the way it plays as much as you like the way it looks, no two guitars play the same even if they are technically identical.

I used to own two identical MIJ Jackson King V Standard professional series guitars, one I purchased new with OHSC for $750 the other I bought from a pawn shop used for $350 w/OHSC I still own the pawn shop guitar the new one was a Friday guitar the used one was defiinately a Wednesday guitar

Sounds like the guitar you have is a Wedsnesday guitar built in the middle of the week when the crafstmen was the most focused if you get the other it may be a Friday guitar built on Friday when the crafstman was thinking only about getting out of work for the weekend.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 29, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Keep it and make some minor cosmetic changes such as pick plate, knobs etc. or buy the 2016 and hope you like the way it plays as much as you like the way it looks, no two guitars play the same even if they are technically identical.

I used to own two identical MIJ Jackson King V Standard professional series guitars, one I purchased new with OHSC for $750 the other I bought from a pawn shop used for $350 w/OHSC I still own the pawn shop guitar the new one was a Friday guitar the used one was defiinately a Wednesday guitar

Sounds like the guitar you have is a Wedsnesday guitar built in the middle of the week when the crafstmen was the most focused if you get the other it may be a Friday guitar built on Friday when the crafstman was thinking only about getting out of work for the weekend.

What if you are like me and Mon-Thurs you are thinking about the weekend and on Friday you just don't care about anything because it is almost the weekend??? Luckily I don't build anything though
Quote by Dinglebuttz
What if you are like me and Mon-Thurs you are thinking about the weekend and on Friday you just don't care about anything because it is almost the weekend??? Luckily I don't build anything though
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
i would probably feel more comfortable with a 2009 gibson than a 2012. just sayin'

mine are all pre 2010.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would probably feel more comfortable with a 2009 gibson than a 2012. just sayin'

mine are all pre 2010.

Why?
I fail to see the major dilemma here, I also fail to see a pic of the guitar in question.
Just buy and wear a cream colored suit when you play it. As long as you play good, nobody will care what color your guitar is.
(This image may not link well, sorry)
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/466122064-british-musician-guitarist-singer-songwriter-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QTx7dDQjuDBSwZ6t6KekQqHQMiPF7Z8WOwOzr%2FuGPs7J6s%2BPxA5G7cFQWmtU8KirWw%3D%3D