Page 1 of 2
I want to by my first electric guitar this summer. I am a bedroom player and I like metal/rock music. I did some research and the guitar that I found is Jackson JS32 series. I really liked the look of them too. The amp I found is Blackstar HT Series HT-5R. I am a total noob so do you guys recommend another combination? My budget is around 1200USD
Last edited by mumar1512 at Nov 29, 2016,
1200 us?

if I was just starting out I would not buy guitar with tremelo/floydrose. Stick with a fixed bridge or thru body guitar. It'll make your life much easier when putting new strings on.

Here's what I would buy, assuming you have pc and know a little about software
-Bias fx (under 100$)
-Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface (100$) comes with ProTools
-15' cable (25$)

then spend 900$+ on a guitar. I'd get whatever guitar speaks to you, something that makes you want to play it every day!!!
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
You're just starting out and have a $1200 budget?! That's incredible lol

I'd recommend the blackstar or another small tube combo. 15 watts should be the maximum you'd need.
As for a guitar, a strat should do ya good!
Why would you even consider getting a JS Jackson when you have $1200 to spend?

What sort of dollars are we talking about? US? Canadian?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUE

Why would you want to spend it just because you have it if the one in question will suffice? "More" shouldn't be confused with "better", especially for an (electric) beginner.
mumar1512
Ya know, Sweetwater has a sale right now on the Blackstart HT Studio 20. $350. Hell, I bought my HT-1R for $330. That's a damn great deal. All tube amp, I know it can handle aggressive metal music. Same brand you were looking at initially.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HTSTUD20C
Few Fenders, few Gibsons, few amps & other stuff.
Quote by NewDayHappy
mumar1512
Ya know, Sweetwater has a sale right now on the Blackstart HT Studio 20. $350. Hell, I bought my HT-1R for $330. That's a damn great deal. All tube amp, I know it can handle aggressive metal music. Same brand you were looking at initially.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HTSTUD20C

The HT series isn't all tube. Most (if not all of them) have a bunch of gimmickry going on in the preamp section.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

Whoops. Forget I said anything.
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

Whoops. Forget I said anything.

I mean they are still okay amps( I owned one at a certain point) , just not all tube so I thought I would clarify.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

Thank you for clarifying that.

In that case, I would go with a Blackstar HT-1R - $330.

Then for the guitar I would go with a Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute for $900.

Only $30 over budget.
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

Thank you for clarifying that.

In that case, I would go with a Blackstar HT-1R - $330.

Then for the guitar I would go with a Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute for $900.

Only $30 over budget.

If you went for an Epiphone LP tribute you could save 200 bucks and also get a hard case (which the Gibson doesn't have).
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

I've owned 3 Epiphones in the past & they are just not up to snuff. I own a 60s Tribute & it gives my Standard Les Paul a run for it's money.

P-90 pickups are legit dude.

The gigbag that comes with it is good quality as well. But I bought a case for mine.
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

I've owned 3 Epiphones in the past & they are just not up to snuff. I own a 60s Tribute & it gives my Standard Les Paul a run for it's money.

P-90 pickups are legit dude.

The gigbag that comes with it is good quality as well. But I bought a case for mine.

I don't agree at all. The tributes are nice guitars and they offer features that most people would agree are pretty solid.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
With your budget, if you like the Jacksons, you could get yourself into a SLATTXMG3-6 or something up the chain which have better pickups (EMG 85/81) with a TOM bridge. Still plenty of room for a decent amp and/or software route, or save for later. Also, the Floyds on any JS32, when available, are lower-quality ones which may experience issues with tuning. Nothing wrong with a good Floyd, but it's an unnecessary complexity for a first guitar.

But, it's your money, so besides the JS32's what other guitars caught your eye? What stores are open to you?
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
H4T3BR33D3R

What don't you agree with?
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

What don't you agree with?

Epiphone tributes are great guitars and are perfectly fine. You get upgraded hardware, Gibson pickups and other features like a long neck tenon, locking tuners, and a nice case. You also get a solid maple top at that pricepoint as well as a nicer look IMO.

Lower end Gibsons tend to be pretty shotty. Poorly cut nuts, sharp fret ends etc... and youre paying mostly for a name at that pricepoint.

I own a few Epiphones and currently own a Gibby USA as well as a CS R8 and I dont agree with your Epiphone assesment.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

That's fine, I don't agree with your Gibson Tributes assessment. I own one & it's an amazing guitar.

The frets are like butter, the P-90 pickups are classics.

Nothing against Epiphone, I've owned three of them in the past, neither of them were in my plans long term.
Did you own a tribute?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

Yes, I own a 2016 & it sparked a 5k spending binge.
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

Yes, I own a 2016 & it sparked a 5k spending binge.

Epiphone
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

No, I don't own an Epiphone Tribute. I own a Gibson Tribute.
Have you played an Epiphone tribute?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Don't want to cut into your guys' debate, but (imo) the Epiphone Tributes are great instruments. Hell, I have an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro that I bought on a sale for like $240 that is great in it's own right.
H4T3BR33D3R

Do you own a Gibson Tribute?

Have you played one?
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

Do you own a Gibson Tribute?

Have you played one?

No and yes I have many times. Ive also played a few SG-X and some older LP Futuras since I live by a Gibson dealer.

Ive also played an Epiphone tribute.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

I've heard the Epiphone Tribute, never played one.

I just think P-90s absolutely kill almost any Gibson pickups out there, including the stock pickups on my '17 Standard les paul.

With that said, there doesn't have to be an ultimatum. One guitar doesn't have to be good & the other is trash, that's not how this works. I just think from a price standpoint, I'd pay the extra $150 on a true Gibson over the Epiphone.
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

I've heard the Epiphone Tribute, never played one.

I just think P-90s absolutely kill almost any Gibson pickups out there, including the stock pickups on my '17 Standard les paul.

With that said, there doesn't have to be an ultimatum. One guitar doesn't have to be good & the other is trash, that's not how this works. I just think from a price standpoint, I'd pay the extra $150 on a true Gibson over the Epiphone.

Sure but you said Epiphone Tributes werent up to snuff and you havent even tried one. Isnt that a bit hypocritical if thats your stance?

Im just pointing out the Epiphone LP tribute is a good option and they are great guitars that shoot above their pricepoint. It would keep him under budget too.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

I've heard them though, never felt one, but I know how they sound.

Just think for $150, you are better off going with the real thing.

You could certainly do worst than an Epi Tribute, but are you seriously saying they are better than Gibson Tribute? Really?
Quote by NewDayHappy
H4T3BR33D3R

I've heard them though, never felt one, but I know how they sound.

Just think for $150, you are better off going with the real thing.

You could certainly do worst than an Epi Tribute, but are you seriously saying they are better than Gibson Tribute? Really?

They are both the real thing. Both are made by Gibson.

If you want to say that youre more comfy with a Gibson made in USA thats fine. Yes I do think the Tribute guitars can keep up with lower end Gibsons and Im not the only one that thinks so.

I dont look at the name on the headstock. I look at the specs and compare what I get for my money.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
A JS series Jackson and a Blackstar HT-5 are a great starter setup, especially if you are wanting rock/metal tones. I would suspect that you are well under your budget with those options which is fine, not need to spend it just because you have it. If you are looking to spend a bit more of your money I would focus it toward an amp. JS guitars are quite suitable and an amp will affect your sound a lot more, I also agree with the comments above that I would avoid a flloyd rose type bridge and go for a fixed bridge or hard tail.

If you wanted to up the amp from teh HT-5 I would suggest the HT-40club (over the HT-20 that is), a 6505 combo, a Carvin V3M, or a used JSX combo
Quote by guitarsngear
A JS series Jackson and a Blackstar HT-5 are a great starter setup, especially if you are wanting rock/metal tones. I would suspect that you are well under your budget with those options which is fine, not need to spend it just because you have it. If you are looking to spend a bit more of your money I would focus it toward an amp. JS guitars are quite suitable and an amp will affect your sound a lot more, I also agree with the comments above that I would avoid a flloyd rose type bridge and go for a fixed bridge or hard tail.

If you wanted to up the amp from teh HT-5 I would suggest the HT-40club (over the HT-20 that is), a 6505 combo, a Carvin V3M, or a used JSX combo

Yeah a JSX/XXX can be had for relatively cheap and are pretty solid heads for heavier tones. I nabbed a Triple XXX and cab for around 350 a few years ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The XXX combo I hear is a little different though compared to the head so that might be something to consider.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

Right, but I am drawing on experience myself. Have I played a Epi Tribute? No. BUT I have owned 3 other Epiphones in the past & I can say that they felt like toys.
bjgrifterI liked the telecasters and Ibanez rx450 yes evryvone says that les pauls are great but I care about looks and I dont like the look of them so..
guitarsngear Yea I dont want to spend all of it. I am a bedroom player and I researched some amps and The best one for bedroom use turned out to be blackstar ht-1 or 5. So Ill probably have my chance to crank up the volume time to time so I want to get the ht5r. And looks is too important in guitar picking in my opinion. And I really like the js32 kelly and dinky models. I think Ill go with them. Thanks
Quote by Tony Done
T00DEEPBLUE

Why would you want to spend it just because you have it if the one in question will suffice? "More" shouldn't be confused with "better", especially for an (electric) beginner.

Blue can't help but be blunt and at times dismissive.

Anyhow with a budget like that you should be able to get a killer rig if you do a bit of research and buy used.

Starting out with a great playing guitar and a great sounding amp can go along way toward keeping up your interest in playing. Plus if you go used you will have a better chance of making back your money if you decide that playing guitar is not your thing.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine

Hmm, "blunt and dismissive", for the sake of harmony I'll refrain from commenting further.

Yes, I agree that used is a good idea in terms of both value and investment recovery, and it is true that a bigger investment might lead to both trying harder and more satisfaction. However, I have been caught by the "more is better" thing too many times myself in our consumer-oriented society to let it pass without comment. I've mentioned many more times than once than once that my favourite electric cost Oz$65 from the local hock shop, but I have to admit that I know how to choose such things, and there was some luck involved.
Quote by Tony Done
Evilnine

Hmm, "blunt and dismissive", for the sake of harmony I'll refrain from commenting further.

Yes, I agree that used is a good idea in terms of both value and investment recovery, and it is true that a bigger investment might lead to both trying harder and more satisfaction. However, I have been caught by the "more is better" thing too many times myself in our consumer-oriented society to let it pass without comment. I've mentioned many more times than once than once that my favourite electric cost Oz$65 from the local hock shop, but I have to admit that I know how to choose such things, and there was some luck involved.

LOL I discussed this with Blue during his campaign for MOD

And I agree I knowing how to recognize a great guitar either new or used is an asset, being able to tell a guitar with serious issues from one that just needs a good set up takes some experience.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

mumar1512

I can tell you did your homework on the Blackstar. GREAT amp. Excellent decision, you won't regret it.
I would suggest you get a Tube Screamer type pedal to boost it, I enjoyed my HT-5 much more with a boost pedal on the dirt channel, I also tended to run the ISF knob to the US side to tighten up the low end a bit.
Page 1 of 2