--------------------------THREAD CLOSED-------------------------------

Hai, so let's get straight to the thing, shall we? I've been playing few years on electric guitar already and I felt now is the time to get some effects. My question is, can I buy just a phaser or do I need some distortion box or something like that first? (got peavel vip 1 amp) Also since MXR EVH 90 is too expensive for first effect (but sounds amazing) I'm considerating EVH Small Sone Nano and MXR 90. Any thoughts on that? + yea, I thought of phaser as first effect. I like Zakk Wylde style tones, Slashes. Would appreciate all help
Last edited by lszbigg66 at Dec 2, 2016,
love phasers. dude you can get whatever fx you want there aren't any rules. your amp has built in distortion so no need for that really. either phaser you mentioned would work just fine. I have an EH Small Stone Nano and like it (my fav is a deltalab which can be found cheap used). the MXR Phase 90 has been a phaser staple since the 70s so again you can't go wrong.
Another one, is buying used ones a problem? I could afford some used MXR EVH 90 which is I desire, but not sure if that's good idea...
Last edited by lszbigg66 at Nov 29, 2016,
lszbigg66

I buy used stuff all the time and pedals tend to be the easiest in terms of no issues. as long as you buy from a place with a retur policy then thee should be no issue. of course if you can test a pedal before buying that is the best way to go.
All of my pedals are used - I'm too tight to pay for new ones!!!

Question: Is it just a phaser you want, or is this just the first step on the way to building a collection of pedals to see what you do & don't want? If the latter, it could be worth getting a multi-fx pedal like a Zoom G3 or Line 6 so you have everything to experiment with.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for help so far everyone

I'd like to get phaser first but I'm planning on getting more effects frankly. I certainly considered wah effects and some stuff. The thing is, I prefer to create my own sounds, so I'm not sure if multi fx pedal is better than some effects I choose myself. Which leads to another question, is it worth to buy a cheaper fine phaser or one I desire with price around of 1 and ¼ of cheaper one?
Quote by lszbigg66
Thanks for help so far everyone

I'd like to get phaser first but I'm planning on getting more effects frankly. I certainly considered wah effects and some stuff. The thing is, I prefer to create my own sounds, so I'm not sure if multi fx pedal is better than some effects I choose myself.

Better? More often than not, no. There are always exceptions, but if you want the best version of an effect, you won't find it on a multi effects unit. They're good for experimentation & stuff you don't use a lot of, but the best quality is more often than not found in something dedicated to the job,
Quote by lszbigg66
Which leads to another question, is it worth to buy a cheaper fine phaser or one I desire with price around of 1 and ¼ of cheaper one?

If you get the cheaper one, part of you will always resent it for not being the one you wanted. It will never seem truly satisfying.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
that new phase 95 might be worth considering, it's a bit cheaper than the EVH and looks to be more or less the same thing (but with an extra phase 45 setting too). I haven't tried it, though, so I dunno what it's like.

the regular (block) phase 90 is like the EVH without the script setting engaged. The script phase 90 with LED is like the EVH with the script switch engaged.

The vintage/custom shop script phase 90 is like the actual correct circuit for the script phase 90. (The others aren't, the script setting is the block circuit with the feedback disconnected.) But it has no DC power inlet, no LED etc.

the small stone nano sounds good too but doesn't sound exactly the same as the phase 90. it just depends on which you prefer.

does your amp not have phaser built-in?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I recommend the Derringer Products Guitar Bullet PMA-10. Its everything you need. Although it is not a toy, its high-end pro gear.
Quote by GaryBillington
Better? More often than not, no. There are always exceptions, but if you want the best version of an effect, you won't find it on a multi effects unit. They're good for experimentation & stuff you don't use a lot of, but the best quality is more often than not found in something dedicated to the job,

If you get the cheaper one, part of you will always resent it for not being the one you wanted. It will never seem truly satisfying.

That's what I was afraid of unfortunately, I suppose I need to get EVH or find one that will satisfy me. I'll stick with getting single effects over the time

Quote by Dave_Mc
that new phase 95 might be worth considering, it's a bit cheaper than the EVH and looks to be more or less the same thing (but with an extra phase 45 setting too). I haven't tried it, though, so I dunno what it's like.

the regular (block) phase 90 is like the EVH without the script setting engaged. The script phase 90 with LED is like the EVH with the script switch engaged.

The vintage/custom shop script phase 90 is like the actual correct circuit for the script phase 90. (The others aren't, the script setting is the block circuit with the feedback disconnected.) But it has no DC power inlet, no LED etc.

the small stone nano sounds good too but doesn't sound exactly the same as the phase 90. it just depends on which you prefer.

does your amp not have phaser built-in?

I does not apparently. I bought be because it was for a fair price and I found it's sound satysfing both for clean and overdrive setups. Back then I didn't even think about any other effects. Hmm. I have to admit that 95 seems interesting. I'll jump to store to try it out together with 90 on friday (EVH is not there :/)

Quote by acmphil2
I recommend the Derringer Products Guitar Bullet PMA-10. Its everything you need. Although it is not a toy, its high-end pro gear.

Thanks, I'm gonna stay with small "toys" as you described for now, I just feel I should start with easier AND cheaper things

I really appreciate whole support, thanks guys ^^
Quote by lszbigg66

(a) I does not apparently. I bought be because it was for a fair price and I found it's sound satysfing both for clean and overdrive setups. Back then I didn't even think about any other effects. Hmm. I have to admit that 95 seems interesting. I'll jump to store to try it out together with 90 on friday (EVH is not there :/)

(b) Thanks, I'm gonna stay with small "toys" as you described for now, I just feel I should start with easier AND cheaper things

I really appreciate whole support, thanks guys ^^

(a) yeah sometimes modellers just skip certain effects. I guess to keep the price down.

(b) Ignore him, he's just spamming/advertising I think (note he's banned).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

phasers are actually one of the cheaper fx out there. I wouldn't buy total junk but you don't have to spend a fortune either. as I mentioned my favorite Phaser is a Deltalab. cost me $65 new. the EH Small Stone nano was about the same price. the Small Stone does have a different sound than the MXR and also has a switch that changes the sound so it's a bit more versatile. I suggest checking out demos on youtube to get an idea of what they sound like.

acmphil got banned for spamming advertising
Oh, didn't realise he was advertising. I've seen lot of demos on YouTube for all phasers mentioned in this thread. So far I think EVH gets me but I'll check 95 in shop. I wish EVH was there but I suppose that I'll get that EVH if 9x don't satisfy me. I think it's better to get that one good effect for not much more money
^^ yeah there are some nice phasers (at least if you like the more basic-style ones and just care that it sounds good) for not too much. I haven't tried it but the mooer one seems to get a lot of love (it appears to be a cheaper clone of the EVH phaser). Or the 95 (as i said above) which seems to be an EVH plus a phase 45 in one box (but for more money than the Mooer) which seems to be an attempt to beat mooer at its own game- though I'd want to know exactly what's going on under the hood because I don't trust that it's genuinely a 90 and a 45 in there. Based on those other phasers of theirs that I mentioned.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

i wouldn't sweat over buying used pedals for sure. i have at least 30-40 pedals and i think all but three were purchased used.

reverb.com is a great place to find used gear.

i have yet to have a problem.

for some reason i am a little leery about some of EHX's cheaper offerings. i would go MXR for a phaser on a budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've never heard of reverb but it seems fair enough indeed, I hate my shippment problems ehh :P
Anyways, I decided to get used EVH. Thanks everybody

THREAD EDIT
Now we're done with phaser, I require an advice about pedals. What I need is good pedal to change from amp distortion to acoustic, or reverse. Anyone could recommend anything?
Quote by lszbigg66
I've never heard of reverb but it seems fair enough indeed, I hate my shippment problems ehh :P
Anyways, I decided to get used EVH. Thanks everybody

THREAD EDIT
Now we're done with phaser, I require an advice about pedals. What I need is good pedal to change from amp distortion to acoustic, or reverse. Anyone could recommend anything?

start a new thread