Orange Micro Dark Terror
2x12 cab

Running Bias FX into the FX loop of my micro dark terror.
This seems to be how most do it; to avoid the pre-amp of the micro dark laying it's color on top of the bias effects.

The amp is 20 watts.

With going into the FX loop and not providing an pre-amp signal, is the amp just pushing 20 watts all the time?

I control the volume by adjusting my ipad and it can get quite loud. Just feels a bit bizzare.

I had the ipad and bias FX was only $10.
Seemed like a cheap test instead of buying the couple of pedals I was missing....

Haven't decided if I like it for live use.....

===========================

Separate question...
Orage is so simple, Im use to volume, gain, master volume, but this orange just has gain and volume.

Is gain pre-amp distrortion or is volume pre-amp distortion?
This is a hybrid amp with a tube for the pre-amp and solid state for power amp....

Wondering about getting the best tone...sounds a little muddy trying to distort via the amp. Cleans are pretty good and an overdrive pedal seems to push nicely. But not getting the metal tone I thought I would?
With going into the FX loop and not providing an pre-amp signal, is the amp just pushing 20 watts all the time?

No.
The preamp (whether the Bias FX or the preamp on the Orange itself) determines how much the power amp is pushed.