Hey all,

Longtime user who is looking to upgrade my recording tones. Yes, I know it sounds better to mic a real amp but I don't have the money or equipment for the amount of gear and pedals I'd need to get a diverse library. For that reason I was curious what you all thought the best Guitar Plugin software was.

I've used Amplitube 3 for years but always thought it sounded a little more fake than I'd prefer. Anyone have any thoughts? The names I hear most often are Ampltube 4, Guitar Rig 5, and S-Gear. For what it's worth, I play a Fender Strat and am looking for good clean and crunch tones.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.
I'd start out with the plugins in Logic Pro and go from there. I find the built-in sounds to be pretty reasonable, although I only use them for demo-purposes.

If those don't do it, you could check out BIAS or Guitar Rig, maybe. I haven't tried Amplitube 4, but the Amplitube 3 Custom Shop Fender models are pretty nice in my opinion if you pair them with third party IR's.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Bias is by far the best sounding IMO and most versatile, but it's lacks effects. Unless you get Bias FX, but I find it really lacking. Guitar Rig has the best effects I've come across.

Revalver is pretty good too, and has similar "deep editing" options like Bias. It's by Peavey and has models for all their amps, plus models of other companies.

What kind of tone are you looking for? If you're going for a clean or low gain sound, Guitar Rig is great, but I feel it suffers a bit in the high gain territory. Bias is all around great, but like i said, no effects.
Not having effects shouldn't be too much of an issue, as Logic has plenty.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by Jazzmandtk

I've used Amplitube 3 for years but always thought it sounded a little more fake than I'd prefer.

First, check your speakers/headphones. If you're going to evaluate ANY sound quality, make sure that you're using sound gear that's up to snuff. Beg, buy, borrow a set of AKG 240's, Sennheiser 280's, Sony 7506's, Beyerdynamic 770's, etc. -- these are all studio standard headphones, and most are $100-200.

Second, see what Logic has already in it.
Ignite

Hey thanks for the feedback. In terms of tones, clean and crunch are the most general way of putting it, but I'd say the emphasis is on more rock-based tones rather than metal based (although having some good ones for that would be a nice plus).

Do you like Bias better than Amplitube 4? I'd heard a lot of good things about 4 but idk how it stacks up. I'm not familiar with Bias
Positive Grid Bias Amp Pro is the best guitar purchase you can make for less than $500 in my personal opinion. Though I do recommend also getting some cab impulses from RedWirez.
Quote by Jazzmandtk
Ignite

Hey thanks for the feedback. In terms of tones, clean and crunch are the most general way of putting it, but I'd say the emphasis is on more rock-based tones rather than metal based (although having some good ones for that would be a nice plus).

Do you like Bias better than Amplitube 4? I'd heard a lot of good things about 4 but idk how it stacks up. I'm not familiar with Bias

Ive had very little experience with Amplitube, but the Mesa models sound pretty spot on from sound clips on YouTube

The thing with Bias Amp is I find it pretty inaccurate as far as modeling actual amps. But with the amount of flexibility, you can get pretty much any tone out of it. The standard preamp model has so much tone shaping options. Then you also have different preamps to choose from.

Cab emulation is also very important. I think Bias has some pretty decent stock cabs, probably better than any other VST I've tried. But it wouldn't hurt to get some Ownhammers IRs or Redwires like someone above said.