Poll: Which do I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do I get?
Ibanez RG8 ($499.99)
0 0%
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX RG Koa Brown
7 100%
Voters: 7.
So, since it's nearing Christmas time, I wanted to treat myself. There's this nice guitar made of wood from a tree only found in Hawaii. I played it for a bit, and it was amazing. It looks beautiful and it sounds beautiful. The rosewood fretboard even has this nice little streak of lighter rosewood going down the side of it, and it looks great! The only problem is, it's 1000 dollars. And, It's not the price that bothers me, I just really want an 8 string guitar.The 8 string guitar is cheaper (500 dollars) but I haven't tried an 8 before. And if I get the former, I won't be able to afford anything else. So, what do I get? I mostly just need a second opinion, because I don't know if I want to stay in my comfort zone or get out of my comfort zone. What do you guys think? I won't be on until tomorrow, so I won't be replying tonight.
Depends on what you have already and what you'd use most, in my opinion. If you already have a nice 6 string and want to have an 8-string, I'd go with the RG8. However, there might be better options for you if you're willing to spend more. I'm not that well versed in 8 string guitars, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Now, if you don't already have a nice 6 string or feel like you'd play the Prestige more than anything you currently have, I'd get the Prestige.

Maybe an RG8 and a Prestige are possible if you look used, should you want to do that.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
looking at the Epiphone Korina guitars are we . personally I'd get that but that's just me. I've tried a couple of 8 strings and don't see the appeal. but as already mentioned go with what you are most likely to use the most.

oops didn't look at poll choices my bad. still say the korina but perhaps look at the epi Explorer or V as they are more affordable. maybe you can get both
Quote by monwobobbo
looking at the Epiphone Korina guitars are we . personally I'd get that but that's just me. I've tried a couple of 8 strings and don't see the appeal. but as already mentioned go with what you are most likely to use the most.

oops didn't look at poll choices my bad. still say the korina but perhaps look at the epi Explorer or V as they are more affordable. maybe you can get both

Neither of his options is a korina guitar though.

Apparently, the Prestige isn't koa either, it's basswood with a blackwood top.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Quote by mllrjerome52
I K0nijn I It actually is Koa wood. Not the black basswood.

spec sheet states that it has a basswood body with a blackwood (koa) top so the guitar isn't made of koa really. looks pretty but is just a fancy veneer.
Quote by mllrjerome52
I K0nijn I It actually is Koa wood. Not the black basswood.

Unless we're talking about different guitars here, it's basswood with a blackwood top, the finish is just named Koa Brown. Aside from the Ibanez website listing it like that, the Amazon, Musician's Friend and Sweetwater sites also list it like that, as well as my local Ibanez dealer.

Actual koa would make the guitar way more expensive.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Quote by monwobobbo
spec sheet states that it has a basswood body with a blackwood (koa) top so the guitar isn't made of koa really. looks pretty but is just a fancy veneer.

Not even a veneer, that's what blackwood looks like. :P

EDIT: sorry for the double post, I'm used to a forum where posts auto-merge.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Yes, it's very misleading. I don't get it either. It's smart from a marketing standpoint since koa is in pretty high demand, but it's pretty scummy.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
I K0nijn I

looked it up and I guess that Australian Blackwood is used as a Koa substitute with very similar coloring and grain patterns. I guess they never say they used koa in the specs so theres that. color implies which is a bit deceptive but they don't blatantly lie. marketing, makes you wonder how some of those guys sleep at night.
Forget about price, go with what you feel is the better option. If it costs more? Go for it anyways. You're worth it.
Few Fenders, few Gibsons, few amps & other stuff.
Prestige no question unless you really want an 8 string.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i hate 8 strings (personal preference).

i would play one before you buy one. if you want to go lower, i recommend a baritone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I K0nijn I

As an Australian, I am offended that they would try to pass freakin' koa off as blackwood.

I also wouldn go bari rather than 8-string unless I had a very specific reason. - I was given a nice 8-string lap steel, but it has two strings too many.
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 1, 2016,
im sorry but ibanez kinda have a reputation for being a chav guitar (you know, sofas and mattresses on the front garden and riding on a bus to sign on while us middle classes work hard sweating by pushing those pens). are you sure that there isn't any other guitar you're into?
Quote by Tony Done
I K0nijn I

As an Australian, I am offended that they would try to pass freakin' koa off as blackwood.

I also wouldn go bari rather than 8-string unless I had a very specific reason. - I was given a nice 8-string lap steel, but it has two strings too many.

I wouldn't get an 8-string that's under 27" scale, so there you have your baritone.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
As an owner of an RG8 (that I got for like 200 bucks used), it may sound contradictory, but I would suggest you to get a high quality guitar, regardless if it's an 8 string or a 6 string. So according to this you should get the Prestige. That being said, I was curious to try an 8 string and that's why I bought a 'cheap' one like the RG8. I really like it and I don't plan to sell it, it's a nice guitar to explore the 8 string world I guess.
Have you tried both? I mean, if you think there's a high chance that you'll end up playing more the Prestige than the RG8 I'd say the decision is pretty obvious isn't it? Just think which one would you play the most if you had both...
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ibanez RG8
Charvel Desolation DX-1 FR
Epiphone G400 PRO
-Yamaha C40M