OK so for starters I have read quite a bit of the ultimate valve king thread and also looked through the wiki quite a bit.
I have questions as buying a new amp is out of the question.
I'm still very much a novice player but this valve king was recommended by the folks here at UG about 4 years ago. It's a 50w 112 combo and tbh it hasn't been used much until lately as I have a lot more time to actually play guitar these days. It's probably got 20 hours in the last 4 days compared to 60 hours over the previous 4 years.

So I've done the fx loop cable mod as I don't have an EQ but I'm interested in getting one.
Any suggestions for a good budget one?
I can also confirm that the fx loop cable indeed makes the sound nicer.

Dummy jack in slot one and guitar is in slot 2.
Again I can confirm the sound is slightly better.

Outside of that the amp is bone stock.

I'm using a Jackson Kelly with a SD JB pickup in the bridge that I got some time before I bought the valve king. I also have an Ibanez EX3700 but it only comes out when the gain is off.

I'm looking to get as close to a Lamb of God tone as I can from this thing and I'm wondering speaker and tube wise which will get me closer without breaking the bank? Or which is most likely to give the best tonal difference?

I'm using a noise gate (NS-2) and a really old ibanez TS-7 haha. Just using the tube screamer for a boost in the lead channel to get that really hard metal sound but it's muddy and it bothers me.

Is there something I can replace the ts-7 with that would do a better job?

Basically best speaker/tubes for that LOG tone if anyone can vouch.

And recommendations to replace my ts-7 with and a good cost effective EQ for in the loop.

Thanks for any help guys.
Included a pic.
Quote by heavymetal2k
-post-
The VK stock speaker is the weakest link. The general recommendation there is a Vintage 30. Your tubes should have plenty of life in them but it would not hurt to get the stock ones out of there. Just get a set of JJ's for it, power tubes matched. MXR makes solid EQ's, you can find them used for pretty cheap.
Best tubes for a nice crunchy sound that isn't muddy?
I want tight and articulate without being tinny or thin.

Vintage 30 way out of budget for me, it's a 200$ speaker here in Ontario.

I paid 250$ for the VK.

I was talking to a buddy tonight who mentioned he had a 12" Eminence speaker he had swapped into his marshal combo. The combo is dead but speaker is still good so I'm gonna try it out and if I like the sound I'll take it off him for a few bucks.
Not sure on which model the speaker is but I'll report back once I get eyes on it.

He's gonna let me try out his mxr Zakk wylde OD pedal too and I may be able to buy it used also and save some cash if I like what it does.

Biggest thing now is what tubes to use?
Also I'm in a pretty crowded area so I play a lot at slightly higher then bedroom level early morning or late night.
In that case is it worthwhile using the EQ or a volume pedal to drive the pre amp more and get that sound so I can avoid the gain boost button and such?
I find it gives a really muddy sound. Not a big fan.
I used to have the same amp, I put JJs in the preamp, I put a V30 speaker in it, I used an OD in front to boost the gain channel - the bad news - I was never happy with it for metal tones. Hard rock it could do, but it never had the bite I wanted in my metal tone, and the built in gain boost is garbage. However doing those things did improve the sound of the amp so all may not be lost.

A couple of things when you are playing with the amp to get better metal tone, have the texture knob to the A/B setting, use the tight/loose response button on the back to see which you like better, don't put in too much bass and don't scoop your mids. I never did try and EQ pedal but knowing the difference an EQ makes when using a plugin for recordings it may be what you need to get the amp where you want it.

Aside from the V30 there are various Emminence speakers and WGS speakers that would be an improvement over the stock and not hurt the wallet so much. If you can get your hands on a Swamp Thang I would give it a try. Try to think of a good speaker as an investment. If you ever sell the VK you can put the stock speaker back in and keep the upgraded speaker for your next amp or cab down the road.
WGS has some nicer budget option if you want a V30 style speaker. I would probably say the Retro 30 is probably the closest with the Veteran having some of the v30 spike rolled off.

That being said are you okay with local classifieds? You might be able to find a used V30 for around 80-100 bucks on kijiji or something.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by heavymetal2k

I paid 250$ for the VK.

I was talking to a buddy tonight who mentioned he had a 12" Eminence speaker he had swapped into his marshal combo. The combo is dead but speaker is still good so I'm gonna try it out and if I like the sound I'll take it off him for a few bucks.
Not sure on which model the speaker is but I'll report back once I get eyes on it.

He's gonna let me try out his mxr Zakk wylde OD pedal too and I may be able to buy it used also and save some cash if I like what it does.

Also I'm in a pretty crowded area so I play a lot at slightly higher then bedroom level early morning or late night.
In that case is it worthwhile using the EQ or a volume pedal to drive the pre amp more and get that sound so I can avoid the gain boost button and such?
Look for a used Vintage 30, then. Do a bit of research just so you know how to distinguish a real vs. fake V30, they are out there. You could also get something like the Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers, a V30 "clone" but a lot cheaper.

As far as your friend's speaker goes, make sure you match ohms (I think the VK 112 output is 16 ohms), so the speaker has to be 16 ohms as well. Also make sure the speaker can handle the 50w power of the VK. Mess up either of those and you can end up blowing the speaker, amp, or both.

Tubes have much less a difference over the sound compared to the speaker. If you are going for new production tubes, just get a set of JJ's in there. I would not pay premium for most new-production tubes. You may want to try a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1, which may add some clarity to the amp, and the rest JJ. Maybe put in the few extra $ for Tube Amp Doctor 6L6's, I have no experience with them though, just from what I hear they are good new-production units. If you want NOS, which will give you more a difference but still more on the subtle side, then that is a different story.

Typically you would boost the front input of the amp from a crunchy gain setting to a higher gain setting with a pedal like a Tubescreamer. You have a TS7 so I would think you can get similar results. Keep the gain down low, and volume/level high. That will tighten up your tone and push the input of the amp a bit.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 29, 2016,
Quote by heavymetal2k

I paid 250$ for the VK.

which eminence is it?

if you have very little money wait until you've tried the speaker. speaker will make the biggest difference, by far, as will rightly said.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Will Lane
Look for a used Vintage 30, then. Do a bit of research just so you know how to distinguish a real vs. fake V30, they are out there. You could also get something like the Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers, a V30 "clone" but a lot cheaper.

As far as your friend's speaker goes, make sure you match ohms (I think the VK 112 output is 16 ohms), so the speaker has to be 16 ohms as well. Also make sure the speaker can handle the 50w power of the VK. Mess up either of those and you can end up blowing the speaker, amp, or both.

Tubes have much less a difference over the sound compared to the speaker. If you are going for new production tubes, just get a set of JJ's in there. I would not pay premium for most new-production tubes. You may want to try a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1, which may add some clarity to the amp, and the rest JJ. Maybe put in the few extra $ for Tube Amp Doctor 6L6's, I have no experience with them though, just from what I hear they are good new-production units. If you want NOS, which will give you more a difference but still more on the subtle side, then that is a different story.

Typically you would boost the front input of the amp from a crunchy gain setting to a higher gain setting with a pedal like a Tubescreamer. You have a TS7 so I would think you can get similar results. Keep the gain down low, and volume/level high. That will tighten up your tone and push the input of the amp a bit.

One thing to note about the Veteran is it's not a straight V30 copy. It definitely isn't as bright and is more scooped compared to a genuine Celestion. That isn't to say it sounds bad though, just not a 1:1 copy.

FWIW I have a Veteran 30 on the way.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
OK so I the guy I was talking about brought me the Zakk wylde OD but not the speaker unfortunately.
I'll have to go get it myself after work sometime as it's still sitting in a marshal 40w combo.
I'll check as recommended to make sure it's capable of the 16ohm/50w of the VK.

I can't see the OD pedal making much difference vs the ts-7 but I'll give it a shot anyways in the morning after work.

As for sound, I don't really like that mid scoop style much.

My settings on the lead channel are roughly
Gain boost off
Gain 3/10
Bass 5/10
Mid 5-6/10
Treble 6-7/10
Ts-7 volume is 10/10 Tobe and gained are 0
Noise gate is set to open easy and semi aggressive to close. Like 7/10

Part of my issues may be related to me completely forgetting about the loose/tight and texture settings in the back.
I honestly haven't looked at them since I took the amp back out so I'll have a look tmrw too.

I'll check the kijiji classifieds for sure. I'm not afraid of used stuff, at this point I'd like to improve sound quality as much as I can whilst staying budget minded.

Does the V30 do modern metal better than most or all others? Is that why it's so highly recommended?
best thing to keep in mind is that the VK really isn't a modern metal amp. yes there are things you can do to improve it's sound but in the end it's kind of a jack of all trades amp. (I have one and am a big fan but also very realistic about it.). a new overdrive may help more than you think provided it does more thaan your current unit. I use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive. the main advantage is that it has separate bass and treble controls which give you more control over the sound. the V30 works really well for modern metal and is usually not hard to come by which is why it gets recommended often. LOG uses totally different gear and as hard as you may try the VK isn't a Mesa (they still use those right?) and never will be. kinda close is all you can expect.
bring up the tone on the ts7, not sure setting it to 0 is the best idea.

and yeah setting the amp to tight may well help
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
bring up the tone on the ts7, not sure setting it to 0 is the best idea.

and yeah setting the amp to tight may well help

missed that and yes a really good idea to set tone knob in a useful position no reason to have that on 0
2 o'clock or so is where i'd normally set it on a ts being used as a boost.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Hopefully the other OD pedal does help, but it does only have the same options as the ts-7 volume tone and gain.
I always left the tone/gain at 0 figuring the best thing was to just use the extra drive from the volume on the pedal and sculpt with the amp instead.
I'll try tweaking the tone up some and see what happens.

I can pick up a metal muff for 60$ in the classifieds.
It has additional Treble mid and bass along with volume gain and tone.
They any good for an od pedal?

And yeh they still use Mesa and until I'm at least a solid player I couldn't justify buying something like that right now. Kinda just looking to improve the sound as much as I can with the VK.
Biggest thing is getting a nicer lead channel tone minus the mud. It might sound silly but I find it hard to want to play when the sound I'm getting isn't appealing to my ears.

Only other option would be an amp swap for something geared more towards modern metal.
Like a 5150 or 6505 combo? But odds are I won't find one to swap close to even trade.
Also slightly off topic but I'll mention it.
My ibanez ex3700 on the exact same pedal and lead channel settings sounds so horrible you'd wonder if the guitar was completely busted.

But then I throw it on the clean channel with the ts-7 with boost at 10 and a touch of gain and tone and it sounds amazing!

Confused.. would that be primarily pickup related?
This is using the bridge pickup on both.
OK so update:

Plugged in the Zakk wylde OD pedal this morning after work.
Output 10/10
Tone at 3 o'clock
Gain 0

AMP
Bass 5
Mids 5.5
Treble 6
Full a/B texture and resonance set to tight.

Pretty damn wicked sound coming out of this thing.
It's definitely much more articulate when I'm picking accurately, less mud, and the artificial harmonics scream like a banshee.
Pretty sure I HAVE to have this OD pedal.

Still considering a speaker and tube upgrade but no lie just those few changes with the dummy jack and the loop patch make this more then playable.

Thanks for all the info!
have you turned the tone up yet on the tubescreamer?

the zakk wylde is (far as i'm aware) more or less a boss sd1.

Quote by heavymetal2k
Hopefully the other OD pedal does help, but it does only have the same options as the ts-7 volume tone and gain.
I always left the tone/gain at 0 figuring the best thing was to just use the extra drive from the volume on the pedal and sculpt with the amp instead.
I'll try tweaking the tone up some and see what happens.

yeah that's not really the right way to look at it, i'd strongly suspect you're cutting a bunch of highs with the tone back so far as that. if you lose stuff earlier in the chain you can't really add it back later. well, you can with active pedals like an eq for example, but it's still not quite the same (and the eq on your amp is likely passive).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I'll try it today on the ts-7 also to see if they compare in sound.
And that's good to know. Since I don't have an EQ for now I'll keep that in mind.
Having the tone dialed up made quite a bit of difference.
you don't necessarily need an EQ, just turn the tone knob up on your tubescreamer

but yeah having the tone knob rolled back that far could well make all the difference- don't discount the tubescreamer until you've tried it with the tone up too, until you do that it's not a fair test.

just to clarify, though- you may well prefer the zakk wylde od (or the boss sd1). I know I prefer the sd1 for certain things over the tubescreamer. But just you won't know if you genuinely prefer the ZW/SD1 or whether it was just dialled in better until you try similar settings on the TS.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Yeh I hear ya for sure.
Would the Zakk wylde one be a little more passive by chance? Or a better pedal seeing as it's an mxr pedal?
I did try the Ts-7 again and I was able to somewhat replicate the ZW-OD tone but the ts-7 sounded thinner.
I tried to compensate with more bass on the amp but then it started to lose quality.
With the tone on the ts-7 closer to the 12 o'clock spot it was better but less aggressive, I put it back at 3 and turned the guitar output down which was less erratic but not artifical harmonise are tougher and don't ring out as well.

Also, I forgot I had this laying in my basement haha. I don't do old rock or Hendricks stuff and I never liked the boost from it but would it work as an EQ in the loop since it has seperate bass and Treble controls? Also could I use it for a master volume switch in the loop too to drive the tubes harder at lower volumes?
Last edited by heavymetal2k at Nov 30, 2016,
I wouldn't use that in the loop. if you liked the Zakk OD then perhaps go for it. I'll again stress to not have to high of an expectation as a pedal won't turn the VK into something it's not. I would suggest looking into ODs with more than 1 tone control as that will help or just get an EQ pedal cheap. I have a 6 band Joyo that I use for that purpose. it doesn't have a volume slider so it won't boost like a 10-band MXR does but it will help tighten the eq.
Out of curiosity for the sake of saving money.
I noticed beringer makes a 7 band EQ that has a master level on it for 40$
Would that serve it's purpose? I had a beringer pedal before and it never gave me any issues.
Anyone ever use that one?
Awesome. The only local shop in my area exclusively carries mxr and boss pedals and there all around the 130+ $
I'll order one from amazon or something.

Thanks again for the help guys I'll post back with some more once I really play with it.
Quote by heavymetal2k
Yeh I hear ya for sure.
Would the Zakk wylde one be a little more passive by chance? Or a better pedal seeing as it's an mxr pedal?
I did try the Ts-7 again and I was able to somewhat replicate the ZW-OD tone but the ts-7 sounded thinner.
I tried to compensate with more bass on the amp but then it started to lose quality.
With the tone on the ts-7 closer to the 12 o'clock spot it was better but less aggressive, I put it back at 3 and turned the guitar output down which was less erratic but not artifical harmonise are tougher and don't ring out as well.

probably not since, as i said, it's basically a glorified boss sd1, as i said. but you may well prefer how it sounds- from what you've said that's kind of how i'd describe the difference between the sd1 and a tubescreamer (except i wouldn't really say a tubescreamer sounds thinner).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I should try the ts-7 again and maybe cut a little Treble then?
Maybe it's not so much thin as it is higher Treble.
My ears aren't guitar smart haha. They know what they like but the terminology escapes me.
If I could make the tube screamer work it saves me money but ultimately if the OD pedal still sounds better to me I'll look into to getting one.
i'm not sure with the ts- it may well be higher mids rather than treble that the tone knob works on, the very top end is cut off a bit on a ts and it's not cut off so much on an sd1 (and i assume the ZW is similar).

and yep pretty much- it's worth trying to see if what you have can be made to work because there's no point in spending money for the sake of it. at the same time, if you've given it a decent shot and can't make it work, there's no shame in admitting defeat and getting something more suitable.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

OK so I have made my choice! With no mods except the dummy jack and the effects loop patch I was able to pull a seriously fantastic to my ears sound simply using the boss sd-1 and my noise gate.

Honestly I couldn't believe how much chunk this thing has. When I get ahold of that D string on Palm mutes it's so crisp and heavy!

Maybe since I've never played a boutique amp or a true high gain amp these would be exaggerations to some but I have sustain for days, artificial harmonics that take no effort and a crisp and solid clear sound that easily pulls off that laid to rest tone.

Better yet the harder I attack this thing better it sounds.

This is using my Jackson Kelly with a SD JB pickup in the bridge.
Tone and output on the SD-1 around the 3 o'clock mark gain at 0

Mids and Treble on amp around 1 o'clock
Bass at 12 o'clock and gain around the 10 o'clock mark.
No gain boost on either.

I'm still fidgeting with the settings but so far I like what I'm getting.
Last edited by heavymetal2k at Dec 7, 2016,
heavymetal2k

cool. always good to find something that works and doesn't cost a fortune.
Definitely. I'm just borrowing the sd-1 but I tracked a used one down for 40$ so I'm gonna grab it.
This'll keep me happy and omw to learning more guitar!

Thanks for all the help guys.
Glad to hear things are working out for you.

I don't have much to add then what is already here.

I got a Bad Monkey OD ($50) and it is a TS clone with a low and high tone control instead of just one tone control. Sounds like you've settled on the SD-1. That's cool too. I have the Zakk OD as well.

I was going to tell you that the speaker is going to make the most difference but man that OD pedal is almost a must with this amp so your tracking. I got an Eminence Man O War but honestly just about any speaker is going to be better. Anything Eminence Red Coat series and the WGS Vet30 is great I hear - as noted. Next step is an EQ pedal in the loop. The Danelectro Fish n Chips 6 band EQ is great for the money. $35. I've compared it head to head with the MXR 10band. The Fish n Chips was equal if not quieter (minus a few extra bands).

I wouldn't worry about the tubes just yet, but if you have extra cash after these other upgrades then look at maybe getting one JJ 12AX7 and then maybe a Tung Sol or Penta Labs (Shuguang Gen 7) and mess around with a tube or two swapping stuff around. The main rec on these is in that Wiki so you've got everything you need there and the VK thread.

Good luck!
Tung sol sounded best in V1 and JJ's through in the VK50 prior to modding it. its torn apart and butchered at the moment though.

but the speaker really chokes it out.

also, unfortunately i highly doubt you will get LOG out of a VK. at least not without some messing around on the innards.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25) NEW**
2017-03-18 - 2017-03-18 Time to Get De-laid... (Saturday 2017-03-18)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just located an sd-1 for myself as the one I'm using is a loaner from a buddy. Gonna settle with it as it's the sound I enjoyed the most.
Think it was like 40$ or something shipped to me.

I also got my hands on a joyo ultimate drive and boss equalizer pedal for 60$ they should arrive next week.

If I can somehow get super close to the sound I want with the stock speaker and EQ + OD I may just opt to stop there and put money aside for a total amp upgrade once I feel more confident in my playing ability and can justify it.
I'd absolutely love to get my hands on a smaller mesa combo. Used of course.

So far though even without the EQ pedal it's not bad. Still have fidgeting to do but I'm liking it.

I've been all over the wiki as you mentioned also and saw the mesa mod portion which intrigued me.

Right now a speaker upgrade unless I can locate a used one is gonna be 120ish or more.
Which isn't horrible but the pedals I'll keep and use from here forward. The amp itself most likely not so even keeping it stock and selling or trading it might be my best option for the future.

I'll definitely post back once I get a chance to try out the new pedals. I was considering trying some sort of stacking with the joyo and sd-1 to see results.
Then play with the EQ.

As far as log tone. I know I prolly won't get it bang on with this set up but I'm gonna work my ass off to try and get close haha.
I want to add a couple of things that may help.

1. Point that speaker at your head. It makes a huge difference- put it up on the desk or get a tilted amp stand. Moving your head a few feet can dramatically change the tone you hear.
2. For speakers, WGS just opened their B-Stock/demo speakers store on Reverb.com. They have some V30 like speakers for really dirt cheap.
3. Clip those string ends!!!!! It takes away from the lines of that Kelly!!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I cab definitely put the amp up higher. On my desk or end table. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I'll check out the store you mentioned too. I'm not opposed to changing the speaker at all.
It's just gotta make sense for me price wise.

And yeh I probably should, I string the guitar backwards to avoid cutting the bulbs due to the Floyd style. That's why the strings are always left floppy like that. The Ibanez is the same atm.
Quote by heavymetal2k
OK so I have made my choice! With no mods except the dummy jack and the effects loop patch I was able to pull a seriously fantastic to my ears sound simply using the boss sd-1 and my noise gate.

Honestly I couldn't believe how much chunk this thing has. When I get ahold of that D string on Palm mutes it's so crisp and heavy!

Maybe since I've never played a boutique amp or a true high gain amp these would be exaggerations to some but I have sustain for days, artificial harmonics that take no effort and a crisp and solid clear sound that easily pulls off that laid to rest tone.

Better yet the harder I attack this thing better it sounds.

This is using my Jackson Kelly with a SD JB pickup in the bridge.
Tone and output on the SD-1 around the 3 o'clock mark gain at 0

Mids and Treble on amp around 1 o'clock
Bass at 12 o'clock and gain around the 10 o'clock mark.
No gain boost on either.

I'm still fidgeting with the settings but so far I like what I'm getting.

nice

most amps, even the boutique ones, benefit from an od up front (if that's the type of tone you're going for)

a speaker swap would likely help loads too, but if you're thinking of upgrading the amp fairly soon anyway then that's more of a judgment call- the sd1 will likely still be useful even with the new amp, but the speaker not so much (assuming the new amp already comes with a good speaker or speakers).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

The upgrade would likely be similar in size with same or less wattage.

I'd prefer smaller as I mostly just play at home and jam with a buddy or two but no drums.

I'm seriously hooked on getting a mesa combo but damn, don't think I've seen one for less then 1000$ unless it's beat up or broke somehow.

If I were looking to get a mesa combo that is preferable =< 50 watts and a single 12" speaker that offers a great lead channel right out of the gate what would suggestions be?

It would likely be used, and I'm more open to smaller combos. Doesn't need to be new or current model either. I'm good with an older one as long as it'll rip that modern metal tone.
I've seen a couple f50 models and a studio 22 or some such thing. All around the 1000$ Cnd
Quote by heavymetal2k
The upgrade would likely be similar in size with same or less wattage.

I'd prefer smaller as I mostly just play at home and jam with a buddy or two but no drums.

I'm seriously hooked on getting a mesa combo but damn, don't think I've seen one for less then 1000$ unless it's beat up or broke somehow.

If I were looking to get a mesa combo that is preferable =< 50 watts and a single 12" speaker that offers a great lead channel right out of the gate what would suggestions be?

It would likely be used, and I'm more open to smaller combos. Doesn't need to be new or current model either. I'm good with an older one as long as it'll rip that modern metal tone.
I've seen a couple f50 models and a studio 22 or some such thing. All around the 1000$ Cnd

start a new thread on this