Hi people, I used to have a band, but then School happened and we dissolved the band. I played from my 13's to my 20's and I was fairly decent, not your sweep picking machine, but I played fairly nice. Im 24 now, and I love watching guitar videos, I love guitar building (though I dont have a place to work on guitars currently) but I just lack the motivation to actually grab the guitar and play and practice. Ive lost a good amount of practice, though I can grab my guitar and play almost all of what I used to, but I play for 30 minutes or so and I get bored. I try to learn things and then maybe, I dont play for a week and I forget everything.

I used to play almost 6 hours a day on my nerdy teen days.

help? tips? I want it to interest me again.

TL DR, i used to play a lot, now I cant focus for more than an hour and I just lack motivation on picking up the guitar and playing.
The most common advice in such situation - try something new. New techniques, new styles of music, may be even new instruments (for me it was uke). But there is no one good advice for everyone. Also you can check similar forum threads, may be you'll find smth here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704289 , https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704108 , https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1697202
Join a band. Give yourself a reason to play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hey.

Because I'm one hell of a professional moderator, I accidentally pressed the "edit" button instead of the "quote" button on your post, and didn't notice it until it was too late...

I'll see if I can fix it before Jet fires me, you have my apologies. I had some good advice in store for this thread, but I'll get back to it in just a moment. Sorry about this.

EDIT: Ehh, there really is no way I can think of to view post edit history and a page this new doesn't have any cached versions either... really sorry for murdering your beautiful post. I'll check in with Jet and Neo if they know how to reverse this.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Unless you have musical obligations or professional aspirations, why feel bad about not playing? I played non-stop when I was high school and college, and now that I'm in my thirties, it can be hard to find motivation some days, even though guitar is a significant part of my life and income. It's just a natural part of growing up and realizing that you have a lot of things competing for your time and energy.

Music doesn't have to be non-stop excitement for you to get great joy out of it. Take the opportunity to see how music fits into the life you have. Set longer term goals that are attainable without hours and hours of practice. Start enjoying the stuff that can do with music, instead of lamenting what you can't.
divinorum69 Have you tried recording and composing? It can be much more motivating to write music and work on it. Get a DAW, like a Reaper, and a cheap audio interface and look into composing. Another sure fir way to get more motivated is to find people to jam with.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hey.

Because I'm one hell of a professional moderator, I accidentally pressed the "edit" button instead of the "quote" button on your post, and didn't notice it until it was too late...

I'll see if I can fix it before Jet fires me, you have my apologies. I had some good advice in store for this thread, but I'll get back to it in just a moment. Sorry about this.

EDIT: Ehh, there really is no way I can think of to view post edit history and a page this new doesn't have any cached versions either... really sorry for murdering your beautiful post. I'll check in with Jet and Neo if they know how to reverse this.

Well no problem man, I said something along the lines that the first post I was suggested said to literally quit If I didnt have motivation.

Quote by cdgraves
Unless you have musical obligations or professional aspirations, why feel bad about not playing? I played non-stop when I was high school and college, and now that I'm in my thirties, it can be hard to find motivation some days, even though guitar is a significant part of my life and income. It's just a natural part of growing up and realizing that you have a lot of things competing for your time and energy.

Music doesn't have to be non-stop excitement for you to get great joy out of it. Take the opportunity to see how music fits into the life you have. Set longer term goals that are attainable without hours and hours of practice. Start enjoying the stuff that can do with music, instead of lamenting what you can't.

Well, I dont have any obligations, neither musical nor professional, neither aspirations. I never aspired to be a great guitarist or whatever, just got better enjoying what I did, though I wont lie I dreamt of playing like larry carlton, or any great fusion player, of course, I had other goals, went into college etc.

I Just want to be able to be motivated to play guitar, on my free time. Currently im on vacation, but on a daily basis I would be burnt out from school and work that I would only want to lie down and watch tv or play games on my free time, now, one would say its okay, you work, study dont beat yourself, but last year I did all this and I also managed to mantain a relationship with my girlfriend and aswell I got to buy an old car with a friend and we tore it all apart and put it back together. Now this year, the car is gone, so I should be able to focus my mind on other things, but I cant find the motivation to get the guitar.

But, your lamenting what you can't point seems good, I mean, I think I get what you say. Ill try to go from there. I actually enjoy improvising over backing tracks, I dont see any point in improvement without actually studying, and that was always something big for me, improving, but Ill just forget about it and just enjoy playing.

Quote by reverb66
divinorum69 Have you tried recording and composing? It can be much more motivating to write music and work on it. Get a DAW, like a Reaper, and a cheap audio interface and look into composing. Another sure fir way to get more motivated is to find people to jam with.

I do have the things necessary for recording, I did a while of recording back on the day, but it took such a long time, and I had the time, I dont see myself setting everything up for just an hour or so. But maybe I should, you know, get a notebook, write some chords, compose some licks, record. Ill give it another shot. Problem with finding people to jam with is my music tastes, none of my friends like exactly what I play, and since im moving in 6 months Ill most likely shouldnt invest in people around here.

But thanks for your advice, ill try and see if I can start recording to motivate me again.

BTW, I just fucked my fingers up yesterday, I was playing another brick in the wall solo, which I completly remember and the two tone bends made some huge blisters on my fingers, I started to feel that my fingers were damping the sound and when I took them off the strings I had huge blisters. I lost my calluses of course. Now I cant play because it hurts quite a lot.
Quote by divinorum69

BTW, I just fucked my fingers up yesterday, I was playing another brick in the wall solo, which I completly remember and the two tone bends made some huge blisters on my fingers, I started to feel that my fingers were damping the sound and when I took them off the strings I had huge blisters. I lost my calluses of course. Now I cant play because it hurts quite a lot.

Wow, that sucks. Did you play just after taking a shower or something?

What I was supposed to say earlier, is that when I started losing interest in playing guitar, I realized that it was due to my musical taste veering away from guitar oriented music. After I realized this, I switched to bass full time, problem solved.

What I mean here is, that your taste in music will develop, and your own style should probably follow. If you start losing interest in guitar oriented music (which I recall you mentioned in that post I killed), maybe you need to approach music from a different perspective. I know that feeling, when you're no longer motivated by your favorite bands and you kind of feel bad since it feels like you're abandoning old friends, but trust me, trying to fight it and clinging to that nostalgia might not be what your musical hobby needs. I think you should embrace new styles and new favorite bands and focus on things that motivate you. If you gain interest in piano music, maybe you need to play piano. If you don't feel like playing guitar, you probably shouldn't force yourself.

Just because you started as a guitarist and a fan of guitar music, doesn't mean that you have to force yourself to be a guitarist for the rest of your life. Maybe you need to try something new.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Wow, that sucks. Did you play just after taking a shower or something?

What I was supposed to say earlier, is that when I started losing interest in playing guitar, I realized that it was due to my musical taste veering away from guitar oriented music. After I realized this, I switched to bass full time, problem solved.

What I mean here is, that your taste in music will develop, and your own style should probably follow. If you start losing interest in guitar oriented music (which I recall you mentioned in that post I killed), maybe you need to approach music from a different perspective. I know that feeling, when you're no longer motivated by your favorite bands and you kind of feel bad since it feels like you're abandoning old friends, but trust me, trying to fight it and clinging to that nostalgia might not be what your musical hobby needs. I think you should embrace new styles and new favorite bands and focus on things that motivate you. If you gain interest in piano music, maybe you need to play piano. If you don't feel like playing guitar, you probably shouldn't force yourself.

Just because you started as a guitarist and a fan of guitar music, doesn't mean that you have to force yourself to be a guitarist for the rest of your life. Maybe you need to try something new.

Hey thanks for this! No, I didnt take a shower, maybe I just pressed to hard on those bends.

It might be proabably this, the music im hearing right now, its not guitar oriented at all, in fact most of them dont even have guitar, at some point Im hating my music taste,, but I cant fight it, im listening a lot of electronically generated music, lot of pop, before I used to hear what everybody that plays guitar usually hears, Acdc, deep purple, led zeppelin etc. I still like them, but I dont hear them....

I might grab the bass that I have here, though what you said about approaching music from a diferent perspective seems like what I need to do... maybe I should just start hearing what I used to hear before, Its not like I dont like that music anymore.

But at some point Im dissapointed by myself. For example, 2009/2011 ACDC was most of what I heard, then up until 2013 I remember I only heard the eagles, I just fell in love with that band, frickin awesome. 2015 Avicii ! what a sharp turn!

Thanks for your reply man.
Quote by divinorum69

It might be proabably this, the music im hearing right now, its not guitar oriented at all, in fact most of them dont even have guitar, at some point Im hating my music taste,, but I cant fight it, im listening a lot of electronically generated music, lot of pop, before I used to hear what everybody that plays guitar usually hears, Acdc, deep purple, led zeppelin etc. I still like them, but I dont hear them....

This is actually a pretty common situation. I play pop music for weddings and a lot of it is written with little or no guitar. And that's where you get to be creative. Just figure out or look up the chords, no need for a specific guitar part.

if you're hearing groove based music, don't be afraid to pick up the bass or hit the keyboards. If you listen to the newest track on my link right there, you'll hear it's only got a little bit of stuff that sounds like "guitar music", and the rest is just groove that could be any instruments.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 7, 2016,
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hey.

Nope, you can't :/ 20T still exists tho

(Just be careful)

OP, as above, you can always try different instruments. Can't always fit a circle into a square hole or something like that
At the same time, music is music, and Avicii tracks do use (acoustic) guitar at times (Wake Me Up, Hey Brother come to mind), and it's not like you can't play the breakdown melodies on other instruments
divinorum69Do you have motivation for other things? If not, you may be depressed or have health issues. Most of the time I'd say it's just motivation and lack of time that affects decision to play, but my son has serious problems with depression. When he's feeling OK, he's a playing machine, when he's depressed, he has a hard time doing anything. This seems to vary over time. Just a thought. Good luck with the playing!

JM
Quote by NeoMvsEu
20T still exists tho

Who the hell is 20T?

jk he's great.

Quote by divinorum69
But at some point Im dissapointed by myself. For example, 2009/2011 ACDC was most of what I heard, then up until 2013 I remember I only heard the eagles, I just fell in love with that band, frickin awesome. 2015 Avicii ! what a sharp turn!

Sometimes this just happens. A few years ago I only listened to metal, now I listen to jazz, hiphop, electronic music and classical. No need to feel disappointed, it's all good music even if the classic rock fans tell you otherwise
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail