- Parkway Drive
- Silent Civilian
- Sentenced
- In Flames
- Trivium
- Five finger death punch
- DevilDriver
- System of a down

Uses- Mostly home(my only neighbours are actually deaf so I can turn it up), would prefer something giggagle tho.

Current amp: Fender Mustang I

Main Country: Portugal

REASON: I live on an island with no music shops, can't get a new tube or get an amp repaired.

Currently looking at an RG1003 head and don't know about cab yet.
Last edited by DavidHox at Nov 29, 2016,
Why cant you get a new tube amp, but you can get a new solid state?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky

Because when the tube dies I can't replace it, there's no one who will repair it here. It's a 50km across Island.

And just to ship one thing I have to pay 19.99$ tax so 1 fuse would have 20$ on top. I wanted a new pick that is 0,39$ plus shipping it's 20.38$ for 1 pick.
Nothing really stellar to recommend, might look at the Yamaha THR line, the metal version:

or maybe the THR100 head which could possibly work for band stuff later on if you need it.

Maybe one of the DV Mark amps with some kind of 2x12 or 1x12 cab.

or an Orange Crush, maybe the 35RT.
Changing tubes is about as simple as tying your shoes -- just saying. The bands you listed scream "6505/5150 combo" which are extremely reliable amps, and within your budget if you'd go used. All you'd need is to order a spare set of tubes and you'd be set for a long time. You wouldn't even need a full set of preamp tubes, just one or two spares (they are about $13 each on average in the U.S.). But I understand if you don't want to go used. I just can't think of anything new and solid state in your price range that could come close to matching a 5150 for those sounds. After all, most of those bands actually used/use 6505s/5150s.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Giggable solid state 5150/6505 clone? One of the higher wattage peavey vypyrs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DavidHox
gorkyporky

Because when the tube dies I can't replace it, there's no one who will repair it here. It's a 50km across Island.

And just to ship one thing I have to pay 19.99$ tax so 1 fuse would have 20$ on top. I wanted a new pick that is 0,39$ plus shipping it's 20.38$ for 1 pick.

You say you are from Portugal. Now i dunno how it is those autonomus regions that Portugese islands fall under, but surely, seeing as how you are a member of the EU, there would be no tax if you order from europe. Im guessing shipping rates are still kinda high, but at least you dont need to pay aditional tax, like if you are ordering from the US.

Another question comes to mind, why do you need a gigable amp on a 50km island? Surely you cant expect a really high number of gigs there?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky

1- We don't have a free charter, u want something from the mainland u have to pay.

2- I said it doesn't need to be giggable but I would prefer it to be so, there are no big concerts here but there's plenty of gigs.
I might not be that good yet but unless I get my arm bitten off or rip something they can't stitch back, you bet ima get there.
What about a clean pedal platform amp and a good 5150/6505 clone distortion pedal?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Try and find old Ampeg SS-140C. It's 140 watts stereo or 70 watts mono. Roland Jazz Chorus-clone on the clean channel and a death metal hellbeast on the dirt channel. I managed to find mine with a broken knob here in the US for $100. Complete steal, but they regularly go for $400-500.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Asks for no tubes, 1st hand under 500$

gets tubes and 5150 suggestions.

Cmon guys, you can't be serious. I just want a better quality metal amp than a mustang I for practicing and maybe jamming with some friends when I go camping(they have a generator) and all I get is questions and suggestions on the thing I foresaw and tried to avoid on the OP.
Quote by LaidBack
Try and find old Ampeg SS-140C. It's 140 watts stereo or 70 watts mono. Roland Jazz Chorus-clone on the clean channel and a death metal hellbeast on the dirt channel. I managed to find mine with a broken knob here in the US for $100. Complete steal, but they regularly go for $400-500.

I can't. I live on an island and no way am I gona spend 500$ on a guy I don't know, on an amp I can't try.
Okay let's try this again.

First, you're not going to get a "quality" solid-state metal amp for under $500 new. Especially if you live on an island that has no shops and you're going to have to have it shipped to you. After shipping and VAT/taxes, you're looking at a good chunk of your budget gone. That leaves you with maybe $400 for the amp? Now if you're just jamming at home or with buddies, you don't necessarily need a head/cab. Look into combos. It'll be more cost-efficient.

Going by this list: https://www.thomann.de/pt/combos_de_transistor_para_guitarras.html?filter=true&oa=prd&price-first=300&price-last=450 there isn't much in the way of a "quality metal amp" in that price range. So, where does that leave us? You can either change your budget, keep your amp and save money, or you can go used.

So, yes, I can be serious. I've helped out in my fair share of "What Amp?" threads. I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. I gave you the perfect amp. You shit on it. Save some more money, buy a cab, and get this. Patience is a virtue.
https://reverb.com/item/101537-ampeg-ss-140c-140-watt-stereo-solid-state-guitar-head
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Another question: What amps, gear, and/or equipment do your friends that you plan on jamming with have? The last thing you want is to be drowned out by your friends. Or worse: you're the guy drowning everyone else out...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I think the randall rg1003 would be great considering what you're asking. But I think any 2x12" cab will put you well over 500$ shipped for both the amp and cab. maybe save up and spend a bit more?

Do you have an IOS devise? Maybe look into Bias FX app and buying a powered speaker?
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
LaidBack

1st I have around 480 euros aka 510$
2nd Free shipping from thomann on orders above 200Euro

that leaves me with around 510$
Which is the actual budget, and for solid state 510$ is a lot in my opinion, of course it's not the best of the best. I actually was thinking of a combo(Randall RG1503-212) but they no longer have them.

Anyways a combo would be better because it's 1 item and it's quite cheaper.

I just want to get rid of this Mustang, honestly. Move up the ladder. Get something more designed towards metal.

DirtFarmer nice pic

I dont have IOS and the 1503head(they took down the 1003) is 380. That leaves around 120$ for a cab, I could save a bit more for the cab but I have no idead how much is one.

https://www.thomann.de/pt/randall_rg_1503_head.htm?ref=search_rslt_randall_299770_2

P.S- I'll hit the gym now, will be reading again in 5/6 hours from this post.
Last edited by DavidHox at Nov 29, 2016,
If you just want a better amp for the sake of a better amp, do yourself a favor and save. I've been in your shoes before. Instead of saving my money, I blew $250 on a Behringer that sits and collects dust now. But I got smart. I did my research. I've probably saved myself nearly $5,000 total by buying used as opposed to new.

But hey dude, it's your money. I was just trying to be the pragmatic voice of reason.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Working within your parameters
The Randall RG 1503 would work but then you have to get a cab. The cheapest option is the Harley Benton G212 for 139, but if you could save a bit more you could get the Harley Benton G212 Vintage which comes with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers for 222 (a huge upgrade for not a lot more money). Or you could also get the Harley Benton G112 Vintage which is a 1x12 cab with a vintage 30 speaker for 118, that actually fits in your budget. If you really wanted a cab that would fit the Randall head nicely you could build your own 212 sized 112 cab and use the hardware and speaker from the HB cab.

cab links
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm
https://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_g212.htm
https://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Other option is to go for a solid state combo. There are not a whole lot of great options but there are some workable - the main thing is that you want an amp with a 12" speaker to get the bass for metal. For this reason I would rule out the Yamaha THR series - they can sound good for recording but you are always going to find them lacking/small sounding when you are just listening to them in the room. Here are what I found that I think will get you by, be an upgrade on the mustang and be in your budget.

Randall RG80 - 80 Watt 1x12 combo with two channels - 353 (at this price you could also buy the HB 1x12 cab if you wanted bigger sound and run the amp and the cab together)
https://www.thomann.de/pt/randall_rg80.htm

Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 - 40 watt 1x12 modeling combo - 298 (I am not a huge modelling amp fan but it will be better than the mustang for metal)
https://www.thomann.de/pt/peavey_vypyr_vip_2.htm

Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 - 100 watt 1x12 modeling combo - 394 (same as above but more wattage if you wanted to gig/jam with others)
https://www.thomann.de/pt/peavey_vypyr_vip_3.htm

Blackstar ID60 TVP - 60 watt 1x12 combo sort of modeling amp - 449 (same comments as the peaveys)
https://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_id60_tvp.htm

The other option as mentioned above would be to get an amp with a good clean channel and a good metal pedal like one of these

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mxr_evh_5150_overdrive.htm?ref=search_prv_4
https://www.thomann.de/gb/khdk_dark_blood_distortion.htm?ref=search_prv_4

If you choose any of these I think you will find it an improvement over the mustang. Good luck.
Quote by DavidHox

Cmon guys, you can't be serious. I just want a better quality metal amp than a mustang I for practicing and maybe jamming with some friends when I go camping(they have a generator) and all I get is questions and suggestions on the thing I foresaw and tried to avoid on the OP.
How I see it is, at your budget and genres, you would be more likely paying $500 or whatever on something that is moreso a sidestep compared to the Mustang, rather than getting a proper tube amp that would be much more worthwhile and professional. If I was putting money down like that, I would not want a sidestep. There are solid SS units but a tube amp like the 6505/5150 is safer.

Yes, tube amps definitely have more maintenance calls than a SS amp does- but generally you will not have to do anything more than replacing a tube (which is as easy as changing a lightbulb) and adjusting the bias on the power tubes. There are some technical actions you need to know that come with professionalism, but the sound from a proper tube amp (compared to many SS units, especially when comparing metal tones) is worth it. However I would not want to take my expensive tube amp camping, running on generator power. Leave that to the Mustang.

If you really still do not want to consider tubes, then cool: what diabolical posted in reply #4 is your next best bet.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 29, 2016,
Randall RG1503 series.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Can't you go to the mainland to buy an amp and for tubes and maintenance in the future? It's not like it will need new tubes every month, if you are using it mostly at home tubes would need to be replaced maybe once a year.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

DavidHoxCheck out the Derringer Products Guitar Bullet PMA-10. It's all analog and sounds like a tube amp. Its a preamp w/ effects that you can play through anything. Most people put it in front of an amp to majorly improve the tone.
Another vote for the Randall 1503 + cheap cab. Per your specifications, it's probably the best option at Thomann.
Guitarsngear you the mvp. Thanks everyone, ill try selling the mustang and get the 1503h with the 2x12 vintage.

To the tube guys, in 21 years I left this island once. If i could go to town and buy tubes ofc I would, but have something with 6 valves...
Where I live its playing russian rolete everyday I turn it on to play for a while. Even if I had 3000$ I dont think I would go valve here.
DavidHox I have a 5 year old Orange Tiny Terror with lots of work hours on it, mostly home recording with occasional crazy full blast practice here and there. It is my main home amp and go to recording amp, not main live or rehearsal amp. No issue with tubes whatsoever.
Marshall JCM900 3 years of full on gigging, bought used, still original tubes, no issue at all...and the list goes on.
Honestly, it is not a big deal. You buy a spare 2x12ax7 and 2xEL34s and you'll be fine for years.

If you're not so averse to tubes, I'd say look up H&K Tubemeister, etc, they have 18 watt one that will be probably killer with the Harley Benton 2x12 someone suggested above.

The reason we're all trying to stir you away from the ss amp is because that cheesegrating quality of the distortion gets old fast. Maybe that Randall can be a good pedal platform for something like Warmpler Triplewreck down the road.

This demo by a Polish-Jamaican dude sounds okay for aggressive metal stuff, the cleans make me want to slit my wrists

There were powered cabs but they've fallen out of popularity recently, I remember this one:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/powerengine/powerengine60.html

That's a good pedal platform so you can experiment with different distortion pedals or an occasional multifx and might be better suited...or even something like the Atomic Amplifire:
Or a processor like the Line6 POD HD500X and a powered wedge speaker. You can just hook it directly into the PA if you gig.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
diabolical I know, I know but my old RG100SC was blah city. There's not much budget to work with here!!!! My buddy got by with the HD500X when he was between amps gigging in a thrash/death metal band.

Thread starter have you tried using the Fender Fuse software to see what types of high gain tones you can coax out of that Mustang? Maybe it will suffice until you can increase your budget.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
You're worried about a non issue.. You don't need to rebias a 6505+. To swap a tube is as simple as changing a light globe.
So buy a friggin 4505+ combo and call it a day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I might backtrack a bit but didn't Brendon Small (Metalocalypse/Dethklok) used POD 2 for the first 2 seasons? I tried to find some info but can only find this:
http://houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Amplitube_Fender/IK_Amplitube_Fender.htm
Quote by DavidHox

If you're dead-set on being uneducated on the subject, then that is one thing. But you're ignoring some pretty great advice if you continue to think running a tube amp will be a problem. Frankly, there are very, very few solid state amps under $500 that I would touch while expecting to get a good metal tone. The best you can probably do (barring you pick up an Ampeg SS 140C, as was recommended above) is a modeling amp. And the best one in that price range that I've played is a Peavey Vypyr (for metal, that is).

I had a Vypyr 30 head for a while, and also owned (still own) a 6505+ combo which I converted into a head and I ran them both through a 4 X 12 cabinet. The Vypyr sounded good for what it was -- the 6505 model sounded pretty close, as well as the Rectifier model. The cleans were admirable as well. However, running it through the same cab, here's what I noticed: It didn't sound any better than the real thing at low volumes -- which is a claim made by a lot of people about modelers. In fact, it still sounded inferior to the real 6505. There was just something missing in the harmonic detail. Moving on, let's talk about higher volume playing. The Vypyr did sound okay when cranked and could indeed crank out some "thump" on palm mutes and had pretty sizzling, juicy highs and lead tones. But so did my 6505, only the "thump" was a little more aggressive, the leads more musical, and the mids more "grindy." Now, let's talk about gig volumes. This is where the Vypyr just ran out of juice. As I turned the volume up, the low-end would no longer increase, but the mids and especially the highs kept increasing, which hurt my ears. As I turned the 6505 up to gig volumes, it started sounding more and more pissed off (in a good way), had chest-crushing thump on palm mutes, and the leads just got sweeter and sweeter.

The Vypyr was the best solid state amp I'd ever owned or tried, for that matter. And my 6505 made it its bitch and then did a little dance afterward. Without even being turned up past "3." Through the SAME cab.

And one final thought -- I have fixed every problem my 6505 has ever had, 95% of which were tubes. If your modeling/solid state amp goes down, good luck fixing it.

I'm not trying to insult you here -- I just think you have some huge misconceptions about the reliability of tube amps. They're worth it, man. Just want you to get the tone you'll be happy with.:thumbsup
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
6505 isn't even in the budget, why do you guys keep pushing it, I'm not gona buy something second hand I can't try before hand. AND I CANT.

Multi FX unit like a boss gt100, don't think it would be better than the randall. But I've never tried a pedal even.
The new Randall RG serie is a good high gain solid state amp (i have RG1503), but i would recommend using an overdrive pedal with it. It has enough gain for anything but its a bit loose and fuzzy kind. Good for doom as it is but OD pedal will tighten it up nicely for everything else. Any cheap tubescreamer clone will do.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus

Zeus can you give me the a pros and cons review of the amp?
And what cab do you have?

Do you recommend it, or something else?
Last edited by DavidHox at Nov 30, 2016,
Harley benton 2x12 cab with Celestion v30 and g12t75 speakers. I cant really say anything bad about it other than the EQ is a bitch to work with. Its really sensitive.

The base tone is also quite dark so if you want a bright thrashy tone you have to turn the presence up quite a bit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 30, 2016,
Page 1 of 2