Hey all,

Well, after selling almost every piece of gear I've had for sale recently (to fund new stuff, of course!), it feels good to finally buy something! . This was a good local find I had to jump on!

Ooooh! A Maxon box!

Why don't we take a peek inside? You think you already know what it is! don't you?

Thought it was gonna be an OD-808, didn't you!? Ha!

Yep - the classic OD-9! I've always kind of had a thing for the Maxon/Ibanez 9-series pedals. I used to own a TS-9 a number of years back, but for whatever reason, I thought it was a good idea to let it go. I used an MXR GT-OD for a while, which is a really cool pedal in it's own right, but ultimately, I found it a bit too noisy for what I mainly use an OD for (lead boosts, or tightening up amps other than my ENGL w/high gain tones). So, I ended up selling that, and I'm now back in Tube Screamer land!

If I'm being completely honest, it's a bit tricky to write another review that will have much new to say about one of the most common pedals out there, but I shall do my best!

Build Quality - Make no doubt about it, Maxon builds quality stuff. It's my understanding that the OD-9 is the real version of a TS-9 made today, in the vein of the originals from the 80's. The main difference, to my knowledge, is that the OD-9, unlike the original TS-9, is true bypass. This feels like a very well put together pedal, with no issues such as scratchy pots, or cheap feeling knobs/stomp switches. If anything, the stomp switch feels a bit over-engineered on this thing - It takes some more effort to press it down than my 80's era FL-9. Part of me is curious if this has anything to do w/the true-bypass design? Either way, I have no concerns about it falling apart on me!

Tone/ease of use - With a large stomp switch, and just 3 knobs (drive, tone, level), the beauty of this pedal is also in it's simplicity. With that, combined with smooth, creamy overdrive, it's no wonder that this pedal (and it's close relatives) have graced so many pedal boards for nearly 4 decades (if you're counting the TS-808, anyway). While the OD-9/TS-9 is thought of as being a bit more aggressive than 808-based pedals, it's actually quite a bit more tame than the GT-OD I had, with quite a bit less gain on tap. This pedal is great for a smooth, natural sounding overdrive on it's own, but really shines with an already dirty amp. It's an ideal candidate for adding a bit more dirt/sustain, or tightening up an amp, without adding too much noise or tone coloration. Make no mistake, you lose some lows, and gain some mids with the pedal on, but that's part of the signature TS-sound! (I find that it makes the bass knob on the amp more usable).

Overall - At this point, it's no secret what the TS-based family of pedals does. All I will really say here, is that if you're craving a TS9 tube screamer, but are wanting one that has a little more to offer (such as the true bypass), this Maxon version is worth hunting down instead - especially since it can be had used for cheaper than a brand new TS9 (And FAR cheaper than an original 80's TS9). Maxon did build the originals after all - It's great that they not only continue to build them today, but that they've made improvements to the original design (as well as a whole plethora of other TS-based pedals they offer today). I say everyone can benefit from one of these, but to each their own, as well!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Nice score

Quote by FlightofIcarus

(a) Thought it was gonna be an OD-808, didn't you!? Ha!
(b) If anything, the stomp switch feels a bit over-engineered on this thing - It takes some more effort to press it down than my 80's era FL-9. Part of me is curious if this has anything to do w/the true-bypass design?

(a) nope because the od-808 is actually a ts10

(b) I haven't tried it but I would suspect that might be the case. I suspect it's just a regular 3pdt switch under the vintage-accurate switch cover, which makes it a bit awkward to switch (the danelectro cool cats were like that).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice score

(b) I haven't tried it but I would suspect that might be the case. I suspect it's just a regular 3pdt switch under the vintage-accurate switch cover, which makes it a bit awkward to switch (the danelectro cool cats were like that).

Yeah there is a 4pdt under there and I think the OD-9 is true bypass as well.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ yeah i think so. i think the od808 is half-assed bypass but i could be wrong about that.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah i think so. i think the od808 is half-assed bypass but i could be wrong about that.

It's definitely not true bypass if that's what you mean.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Dave_Mc

a) - I just recently learned that fact myself - I guess the TS10 sounds pretty awesome too then!

b) It is indeed slightly awkward switching the pedal on and off, but certainly not to a degree that I'd consider it a problem. According to Maxon, the OD-9 is indeed true bypass, but not the OD-808.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
nice score. yeah writing an original review of a TS is next to impossible but hey you tried
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's definitely not true bypass if that's what you mean.

yeah, where the output only is switched.

though i think analogman's site said they don't suck much tone anyway (guess the input impedance is high enough relative to the output impedance?).
Quote by FlightofIcarus
a) - I just recently learned that fact myself - I guess the TS10 sounds pretty awesome too then!

b) It is indeed slightly awkward switching the pedal on and off, but certainly not to a degree that I'd consider it a problem. According to Maxon, the OD-9 is indeed true bypass, but not the OD-808.

(a) Yeah. I tried them head to head years ago, before I knew the 808 was actually a scam and a con TS10, and I thought the 808 sounded better.

(b) Yeah. It's not the end of the world with the dano but it is a bit more awkward all the same. you have to hit it just right to activate it (or at least more "just right" than a regular switch).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman