So I just got this G&L Legacy in shoreline gold yesterday. I ordered it from Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Woodwind & Brasswind etc., and I had to email and bitch at them because the specs didn't match G&L's website and I thought I was getting something else. They claimed it has a 12" radius and the G&L site says it's 9.5". Well it turns out it is indeed a 12 inch radius (which is what I really wanted).

First of all, this is the best playing guitar I have ever owned. Granted, I haven't owned many, but it's head and shoulders above my Gibson LP classic custom in terms of playability. I could instantly play more accurately and faster. Have I been a strat guy all these years and didn't know it? Or maybe it's just that my Gibson was made in '14 (I've read that was a terrible quality year for Gibson). Anywho...

One complaint I have is the case. The first and second time I took the guitar out of the case I had to pull fuzz off the strings. Not only that, but the pickguard looks like it has tiny pubic hairs all over it. G&L really should do something about that. I suppose I'll have to vacuum it out and possibly shave down the lining.

The second complaint might not be a complaint at all, but I'm not sure. Aren't floating trems supposed to be parallel with the body? I had to adjust the springs to to get it that way. The rear was higher off the body than the front, and while this might give more room for raising the pitch, I don't think the weird angle is a good thing. Lazy setup guy that day? I don't know, but it was easy enough to correct (or maybe it wasn't supposed to be corrected?) so I'm not gonna bitch about it.

Otherwise, the setup, fit and finish appear to be absolutely perfect. I've wanted a strat for a long time now and I heard these were even better than Fenders so I bit, and I couldn't be happier.

Well, actually I could be... I passed up the "graphite frost" version because it just looked black in the pictures, but later on I found better pictures and that graphite frost is pretty badass looking. I'll be getting that color on my next G&L if it's still available. The perils of ordering gear unseen online...

P.S. Sorry for the crappy image quality, my phone camera doesn't focus very well.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Congrats on your new G&L I have wanted to get one for a while now. Sounds like your Gibson needs a set-up!!!
As far as the trems go, and I am by no means an expert, mine is not level to the body. It is slightly raised to pull up and down on the trem. I know that a simple tightening of the screws in the back would remedy this but that is just how I have mine set up.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
nice. a few fuzzies won't kill anyone . as for the trem it probably just needs a setup problem solved. you can't always expect perfect setup when buying new
sweet

EDIT: it depends on the trem. i'm not sure whether the G&L one is meant to be parallel or not.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 29, 2016,
The Les Paul doesn't need a setup (essentially I check this every time I change strings) but I think I figured out what's going on here.

I've been going back and forth between the G&L and the Les Paul, and I think the improved playability (for me mind you) comes down to the string spacing. The G&L is much narrower than the LP.

I thought maybe the longer scale had something to do with it (25 1/2" vs 24 3/4") but I realized that it's my right hand (I'm right handed) that seems to have improved in accuracy and speed.

I really need to get out and try more guitars more often. Cripes, after 26 years of playing I discover something like this? lol
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by Prime2515102
I thought maybe the longer scale had something to do with it (25 1/2" vs 24 3/4") but I realized that it's my right hand (I'm right handed) that seems to have improved in accuracy and speed.
While string spacing certainly does make a difference, scale length could indeed be helping your right hand. A longer scale length means slightly tighter strings, which means they stay in place better when you pick them. For those who, like me, lack a "feather touch", that can make picking substantially easier, as the string doesn't get pulled along with the pick so much when you pick.
G&L trem should be level , adjust the trem springs tension screw in back cavity , one or both screws , what ever it takes ..... depending on string gage 10-46 , 10-52 ,9's or 11's ect , you may have to adjust it accordingly ....., if you switch tuning from Standard to drop D a lot then adjust for a happy meduim .... love my G&L's , congrats , " guitars by Leo .com " has a lot of info

Pickgard has a layer film on it , there should be protecto layer film on the pick gard that needs peeled off , helps if you remove the knobs
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Nov 30, 2016,
Killer guitar! Jump on over to the Strat thread sometime and post about it! And listen to the dude above me, he's the Gandalf of G&L.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6