Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I have a question. I currently am the owner of a Taylor GS Mini mahogany. For $500 it's solid top mahogany with rose wood sides. I love the guitar and it sounds really great and sounded better than some of the more expensive guitars in it's range so I chose it. I want to eventually purchase a guitar in the $3,000 range.

My question is, what exactly is the difference between guitars in the $500 range, and $3,000 range.

If my guitar is solid wood, and a more expensive guitar is also solid wood....

What exactly is making another guitar worth $2,500 more dollars ?

Now I've only been playing guitar for around two months, but in the two months I would say I've fallen quite hard for playing ! It's amazing.
My goals for playing is to eventually play my own original material at open mics & possibly more, a sing-song writer is what I see myself as in the future.

And for that purpose, I am wondering how you all feel about guitars in that price range, will having a $3,000 ish guitar make a big difference in quality of performance and sound for my audience and listeners ??? Or is it more of, a pleasure for me, knowing that I am playing this banging expensive guitar ?

As at the guitar shop I fooled around with a few guitars in the $1,000-$1,500 range... and to be honest they sounded slightly different...but still similar in quality to the Taylor that I have now.

What do you all think ? Thank you .
I'm one of those that doesn't believe there is much relationship, if any, between price and performance over a wide range in factory guitars. At best, returns diminish very rapidly as the price goes up. You can pay more for high labour costs in the US and Europe (the GS Mini is made in mexico), more expensive materials, better finishes, mojo etc but I don't think that it is until you get into boutique and luthier guitars that you really see performance differences, and even then it varies by maker and depends on personal preferences. You have to trust your ears. My favourite for fingerpicking is mid-priced, but it is all-laminate, even the top. OTOH, the three I play slide on were expensive, one being boutique, another luthier, and another being a Gibson prototype - but I wouldn't choose any of them for any other style.
Quote by tarotreadingsbyjohn
Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I have a question. I currently am the owner of a Taylor GS Mini mahogany. For $500 it's solid top mahogany with rose wood sides. I love the guitar and it sounds really great and sounded better than some of the more expensive guitars in it's range so I chose it. I want to eventually purchase a guitar in the $3,000 range. . . .

I think your own experience has answered your question.

I would never ever consider spending $3000 on a guitar when you can buy something just as good for $500.

PS. Welcome to the forum.
Last edited by Garthman at Nov 30, 2016,
I went and tried several guitars ranging from 1,000 to 2,000. I wasn't really impressed. For such a large price difference, I barely noticed any kind of difference. Slight differences depending on the wood type, but definitely not enough to justify spending more than 1.5k. My favorite of the group that I tried was the taylor 114ce priced at around $1,000... but even then the difference isn't that much. Not what I expected at all. My new opinion is that it's best to try out different guitars in all different price ranges and pick the ones that sound best by ear.
Like I said, trust your ears, not the name on the headstock or the price tag.

FWIW, I've generally liked the lower-priced Mexi Taylors (100 and 200 series) better than their more expensive ones.
Yes, you should trust your ears.
FYI, the GS Mini does have a solid top, but laminate back/sides, the $3,000 models will be all solid woods.
Eventually you should be able to hear a difference between a $500 GS Mini and a $3,000 818e.
FrogstarWorldA

Sure you will learn to hear the diference, but which will you prefer?

To be fair, my music store-owning mate thinks I've got eccentric tastes in guitar tones.
Quote by Tony Done
FrogstarWorldA

Sure you will learn to hear the diference, but which will you prefer?

To be fair, my music store-owning mate thinks I've got eccentric tastes in guitar tones.

Which you prefer depends on you and the specific guitar
Speaking for myself, I can play my Korean Breedlove which was $500 brand new, it sounds good and plays well, and then pick up one of my more expensive guitars and go oooooh yeah, that's right, that's why I own this.
I could possibly afford something better but I like the thinner body of grand auditorium style.. so I immediately gravitate towards Washburn Comfort Series WCG18CE.. price was just right and I liked the sound.. since I already have Bigrock Power Pins.. I installed it on my AE, to compensate for body thickness I use Planet wave O-Port.. it sounds better now plugged or unplugged.

If you have $10000 laying around and money is no option.. you can buy the more expensive boutique or master built acoustic.. but it don't mean much if you can't play well enough to bring out the tones.

Definitely get something you feel comfortable playing.. no sense buying a closet queen guitar.. unless that is your intended purpose.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 1, 2016,
. . I went and tried several guitars ranging from 1,000 to 2,000. I wasn't really impressed. For such a large price difference, I barely noticed any kind of difference. . .

Yep. That pretty much matches my experiences.

. .My new opinion is that it's best to try out different guitars in all different price ranges and pick the ones that sound best by ear.

Good opinion.