So i recently got me a Thunderhorse Epiphone, and im really suprised at how well it plays. With the holidays coming up, i decided to buy myself a little gift of new pickups for it. The stock Burstbuckers are ok, but i feel like they are a bit on the muddy side and kinda undefined. I do love the coil splitting option. I never had a guitar with a single coil before, and im kinda blown away by the tone of the split pickups on the clean channel.

So basicly im looking at something that will give me nice metal t0nez, but still has nice clarity on the upper strings, and nice defined bottom end, so that the dropC chugging doesnt turn into mush. And they have to be splittable. Because now i wont be able to live without it anymore. I dont care if they are passive or active, as long as i can split both the neck and the bridge. I have a set of EMG 57/66 in my other guitar, and i love those pups to bits, but im not sure if they are splittable, and even if they are, i could really go for something different, so that i dont have basicly the same guitar, just in different shapes. I was looking at BKP Juggernauts and lace Deatbuckers, but im not sure if those are splittable. And i do want a nice mellow neck pickup for leads (i liked the emg 60 and 66, but the 85 was way to harsh for me), with a kickass metal bridge one for riffing.

Soooo, any ideas? Budget is like 400€ i guess, since this things are pretty expensive. I guess its kinda silly to put pickups that expensive into a not very expensive guitar, but im planing on using it to record and gig with, becuase it plays really well, and more importantly, looks amazing

EDIT: aaaaand, i just realized i posted this in the wrong section. Can somebody please move it to GG&A for me?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Nov 30, 2016,
Duncan Distortion/Jazz is always a good recommendation. The Distortion is a very tight sounding pickup. The JB has better cleans, a bit more sag in the low end and they sound decent when split. They're all oldies but goodies.

This does help to illustrate the difference between the SH6 and the JB. Almost pretty much all Duncan humbuckers are splittable unless you're looking at PAF replicas like the Antiquity or Pearly Gates which aren't splittable (without modifications) for historical accuracy.

Gibson Dirtyfingers are also pretty awesome and very appropriate for an Explorer.

If you want to spend more money than that, the BKP Nailbomb is an all round awesome pickup that seems to have faded into relative obscurity in recent years due to other pickups becoming the latest fashion trend. Shame because Nailbombs are wicked..
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Can i get the SD's with covers? I really like the look of covered pickups, especially with brushed metal look.
Quote by gorkyporky
Can i get the SD's with covers? I really like the look of covered pickups, especially with brushed metal look.

If you ask them, yes.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
You can order any pickups with covers from your local dealer.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
You can order any pickups with covers from your local dealer.

Thats a nice idea, but i live in Slovenia, and the website doesnt even list an official dealer for my country. And im not gonna order from the US becuase of customs and whatnot.
^ thomann? maybe they don't have the ones you want with covers, though.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Yeah, i checked out thomann, and they have some with covers, but they dont have the SH-2 jazz for example. Its kinda why im excited about bareknuckles, since they are from the uk and i can just order them from there. I was also looking at Sublime pickups from hungary, but their shitty website is really puting me of.
^ yeah you're kind of limited to what they have in stock. they tend to have pretty good prices (for duncans in europe, lol) on the more common models, though.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

According to Lace, HB-sized Alumitones- including Deathbuckers- are splittable.

I'd also look at Railhammers. Here are demos of their hotter humbuckers, the Chisel & Anvil.

Railhammer demos by Dennis Kayzer

Railhammer demos by Rick Beard

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Well i found this:

They sound great, but as far as i understand they only have two different voicings instead of being splittable. But the distorted tone is pretty great tho.