So I have this band for a while and sometimes, as it happens, I can't make it to rehearsal. We got singer (me), guitarist, bassist and a drummer. As it happens, guitarist is busy with collage for a while, so he won't be coming to rehearsals for 2/3 weeks. I suggested that the rest of the band should actually have rehearsals without him or occasionally me.

So that means only drummer and bassist. And drummer said it makes no sense and he won't have it. I've had bends before where occasionally I would have a rehearsal or jam (playing bass) with just drummer and it worked fine. And it makes sense to me to have synced drummer and bassist, as they keep the groove and rhythm.

What do you guys think? Is my drummer just lazy or does it really not benefit them to rehearse together without other members?
Drum and bass can jam together - of course! It's actually a great way for them to lock in better. Sometimes you can come up with cool parts when you're just two members, like drum and bass, because it gives you a chance to focus on those elements without the clutter.
If half the band is missing, I would say it's time to call off practice, unless the players are getting some kind of enjoyment out of it. Sometimes the vocalists will need to get together more often than the rest of the band, but in most rock genres bass and drums are probably the guys who need the least amount of attention. Think about it: When you're singing you have to remember all the words to all the verses. The bass and drums are just repeating the same thing over and over. Those guys know the song better than anyone!
I'd agree with reverb66 in principle, but that depends on the drummer actually wanting to rehearse with the bass. Yours doesn't, and he may have good reasons, which we can only guess at. If he thought he and the bassist needed additional rehearsal, he ought to jump at the chance - but he obviously doesn't. No point in trying to persuade him.
If you really think the two of them need to rehearse some stuff on their own (they're a weak link in the band), then that can only be addressed in a full rehearsal anyway. You're not the teacher telling two lazy kids to go off and do more homework. (Good luck with the band if you have that attitude! )
Quote by Declan87
If half the band is missing, I would say it's time to call off practice, unless the players are getting some kind of enjoyment out of it. Sometimes the vocalists will need to get together more often than the rest of the band, but in most rock genres bass and drums are probably the guys who need the least amount of attention. Think about it: When you're singing you have to remember all the words to all the verses. The bass and drums are just repeating the same thing over and over. Those guys know the song better than anyone!

This is my experience as well. Rehearsing songs without important band members is kind of pointless for two reasons: 1) everyone's supposed to have the parts and song structure memorized already, and 2) you'll just have to rehearse the song again the next time other members are present. It's best to have everyone present so that everyone can hear/critique the others' parts, and everyone can correct mistakes at once. Rehearsing songs more than necessary is a very poor use of a band's time.

"Section" rehearsals are useful for jamming and writing music, or learning exceptionally complex parts, but otherwise it's sort of a waste. The only time it's actually necessary is when you have a whole section who are doing the same thing, such as singers and string/horn sections. The rhythm section should be able to lock a groove without much practice, but when horns/vocals/strings are involved, even the slightest inaccuracy is extremely obvious.
Quote by Declan87
If half the band is missing, I would say it's time to call off practice,

2/3 people and one of them is a guitarist, i'd say only about 2% of the band is missing

whip your drummer into line, you have more votes than him because you have 2 roles

e: oh my b, i thought you were the bassist. it shouldn't really matter then, no real reason for them to meet up if the drummer doesn't care. let him have his break
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Last edited by Hail at Yesterday
It's not so much a matter of learning the songs as it is setting up a situation where the drummer and bass player in your band start to think that you feel they are less important or thought of in a different manner than you and your guitarist. In my case there, are bands I have been in where myself and the other guitarist would get together on our own to work out parts so we don't get in each others way or we rehearse a dual lead in harmony so as not to waste time during normal band rehearsal. We do this on our own and not in place of a scheduled rehearsal. Also since most of the bands I have been in were very vocal oriented (multiple harmonies), we often have a separate vocal rehearsal with just acoustic guitar or keyboard.

If the drummer and bass player start rehearsing without vocals or other instruments you may be setting up a situation where they start over-playing the songs to kind of fill up the bare sound. Don't be surprised if your bass player starts playing "lead" bass and your drummer starts doing fills at the end of every measure. Hell they thought it worked better when they were playing on their own.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Yesterday