Hi there. I hope that some of you can help me with an irritating issue with my current Gibson humbucker configuration in my Gibson SG Standard Limited. It has the the 498t/490r combo. My issue that I can't get a good sound from pickups with the same eq setting. If I eq my Blackstar ht club 50 so that the bridge pickup sounds great then the neck sounds boomy, overwhelming and moody. I tried lowering the neck pickup and rising the bridge pickup which helped a little bit, but I still think these pickups do not match each other. If I eq the neck pickup so that it sounds good then the bridge pickup sounds thin and lifeless.
Does anyone have a good suggestion to which neck pickup that would complement the 498t better than the 490r?
The funny thing is that I have the same humbucker combo in my Gibson Les Paul studio and I don't have the same issue with this guitar. In my LP they actually rocks.
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Do both guitars have the same value pots? That would be worth checking, just in case they're different (they might not be, but if they are it might be worth putting the same value pots into the SG as your LP has as that'd be a lot cheaper than new pickups. Especially since you like them in your LP.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc
They are 300k pots in both the LP and SG. Maybe the maple cap and thicker body of the LP makes a difference since they sound so different . Do you think a 500k pot in the SG would make a noticeable difference?
no idea, i've never tried swapping them. I just figured that if they were different that might be an obvious place to look before forking out for new pickups.

do you have the pickups adjusted the same way- same heights etc.?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc
I heard some YouTube clips 250k vs 500k pot and difference seemed very little on humbuckers. On the other hand there to be a larger effect on single coils.
Regarding my height on my humbuckers the I lowered the neck and rised the bridge. It helped a little bit but not much. I guess that a A5 with low output might do the trick, but which neck humbucker would be a great match for the 498t in the bridge and is not boomy. Though about either the SD Jazz or Dimarzio 36th paf?
not sure, again i've only tried those pickups combined in the same guitar and haven't swapped them either (i have an sg as well).

did you try the polepieces?
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc
No I haven't tried adjusting the poles. Maybe I should give it a try.
Which pickups do you have in your SG?
same as you

i'm not super-happy with how they sound either

needless to say i haven't got as far as adjusting anything
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc
Everything takes times 😉 I guess it also depends a lot on the amp. I play a lot of Rolling Stones on the vintage setting on my Blackstar amp and it is in general a dark sounding amp.
I also have a LP Classic with 57classic humbuckers and these sounds so sweet on most amps.