Page 1 of 4

Share your favourite English terms

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
now this is just silly lyle you're being a silly
'Salty Harrumph'
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
Quote by Banjocal
I've had a few salty harrumphs in my time

*ding*

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Blimey! These chips look a tad like a gutted bellend how brilliantly wonky that is. I bet you'd fancy you'd just sod off you bloody wanker of a tosser! OP you dodgy ponce of bollocks, all you are a bunch of fanny's, I'm gonna go put my arse on the loo, so go shag off bugger, get out of my face ya chap
USA
UK

Salary
Welfare Cheque

Car
Can't Afford

Rights and Liberties
Dreams

Debate
Hate Speech

Fun
Crime
It was my privilege
Gotta say, working night shift helps me realize these things.

Like how stupid it is that you call a sandwich a butty lmao.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
I love biscuit.
Like, what is it? Is it a pillsbury soft buttery and flaky biscuit? A cookie? A crisp? Or a ladys' snatch?
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Gotta say, working night shift helps me realize these things.

Like how stupid it is that you call a sandwich a butty lmao.

that's only people in the north and only when it contains chip sausages or bacon i think

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by sam b
chrismendiola
's like comparing cancer with a headache

I guess. A headache is temporary and reversible, whereas Brexitoma is probably permanent.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
that's only people in the north and only when it contains chip sausages or bacon i think

A butty is just a sandwich in general tbh, doesn't matter whats in it.

There's a whole other thread here on North/South divides that I think might be lost somewhat on our transatlantic cousins.
Quote by rich.bendall
A butty is just a sandwich in general tbh, doesn't matter whats in it.

There's a whole other thread here on North/South divides that I think might be lost somewhat on our transatlantic cousins.

ive never heard of a cheese butty tbh

Quote by EndTheRapture51
ive never heard of a cheese butty tbh

never ad dough for a scran never mind kentukkeh
Automobile terms

U.S.A.--UK

Car--Auto or Motor
Hood--Bonnet
Trunk--Boot
Roof--Hood
Transmission--Gear Box
Wrenchs--Spanners
Lift--Ramp
Truck--Lorry
Impact Wrench--Whirly Gun
Muffler--Silencer
Windsheild--Windscreen
Instrument Cluster--Binnacle

This message brought to you in part by Mike Brewer and Edd China

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by RocksAwakening5
I love biscuit.
Like, what is it? Is it a pillsbury soft buttery and flaky biscuit? A cookie? A crisp? Or a ladys' snatch?

Remember if she doesn't shave it's a whisker biscuit!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by sam b
USA
UK

Trump
'nuff said
yeah i love having a PM nobody voted for whose only apparent aim is to see how much shit she can get away with to make literally everything worse while there's no viable opposition party
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I love biscuit.

If a cookie is chewy, a biscuit is crunchy and crumbly

A butty isn't just a northern thing. We have them in Wales too. There's debate over what constitutes a butty. I usually only refer to it as a butty if it contains bacon. If ham/cheese etc it's a roll. Burgers go in a bap or a bun. A sandwich is two or more slices of bread.

Of course in Wales a butty or butt is also your friend "he's my butty" or "oh butt, what's occurring?"

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen
In new zealand you don't just walk up to someone and ask if you can bum a quarter.
Quote by Dr. Seuss
I'll bum your mum some of my cum.
those brit ones are all wrong. Only chavs in council accommodation call postmen postlords. Ruperts fingers? sounds gay.
Quote by harrisheinman
those brit ones are all wrong. Only chavs in council accommodation call postmen postlords. Ruperts fingers? sounds gay.

I love that of all of them, you didn't choose to acknowledge "Her Majesty's Sugar Barnet" or "The Battle of Gridlington."
Quote by Blayney
A butty isn't just a northern thing. We have them in Wales too. There's debate over what constitutes a butty. I usually only refer to it as a butty if it contains bacon. If ham/cheese etc it's a roll. Burgers go in a bap or a bun. A sandwich is two or more slices of bread.

Of course in Wales a butty or butt is also your friend "he's my butty" or "oh butt, what's occurring?"

Fucking chip butty mate
Quote by K33nbl4d3
yeah i love having a PM nobody voted for whose only apparent aim is to see how much shit she can get away with to make literally everything worse while there's no viable opposition party

I stand by Theresa May and you should too. That is our prime minister elected or not just like our Queen. The general masses always want more and more democracy. Due to excessive benefits with the underclass/working class people, too much democracy would be dangerous as these people would have opinions that would be dumb - not good for the middle classes like you and me.
Quote by K'Nuckles
Fucking chip butty mate

Shit. Yeah you're right fella.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen
Quote by harrisheinman
I stand by Theresa May and you should too. That is our prime minister elected or not just like our Queen. The general masses always want more and more democracy. Due to excessive benefits with the underclass/working class people, too much democracy would be dangerous as these people would have opinions that would be dumb - not good for the middle classes like you and me.

you definitely read the daily mail

Quote by Blayney

Woah now, you call a Cheese & Ham butty a roll? I thought a roll was just something really northern people used to refer to a bap/bun?
Quote by Evilnine
Automobile terms

U.S.A.--UK

Car--Auto or Motor
Hood--Bonnet
Trunk--Boot
Roof--Hood
Transmission--Gear Box
Wrenchs--Spanners
Lift--Ramp
Truck--Lorry
Impact Wrench--Whirly Gun
Muffler--Silencer
Windsheild--Windscreen
Instrument Cluster--Binnacle

This message brought to you in part by Mike Brewer and Edd China

a monkey? you're 'avin a giraffe m8, i'm gonna go back and bid 'im, 'old out yer 'and son, you've just bought yourself a cracking little motor

etc.
Page 1 of 4