I find myself watching videos on YouTube from all sorts of different teachers then wondering if that is what I should be doing as they seem to go at lightning speed ? I set aside an hour a day and attempt scales that is pretty much it. Only a week in and I understand it won't happen over night my objective is to install a practice routine and go from there. Thanks in advance for any replies!
At first spend time just fingering chords, the major scale and learn a few simple riffs. Try to practice more than one hour per day if possible at the start. there is an initial difficulty hump that you should be able to clear within a few months, then playing and practicing becomes much funner.

You should aim to learn some songs you like - start with something relatively slow. It's important to play things you like to stay motivated .

Don't obsess too much over what to learn in what order, just put in a ton of time. Don't be afraid to screw around and invent things - have fun with it. Even noodling the same three notes for an hour is going to make you a better player.

Learn to practice repetitive things while watching shows and movies - it helps you get more hours.
Whatever you learn, try to apply it in the context of songs. For me personally I didn't learn any scales for the first year or so, just chords and their names. I also learnt solos and riffs from tabs.

After getting comfortable with these I started learning scales because I wanted to write my own solos. I don't think I would have learnt them otherwise.

Not saying my way is the best, but that's how I did it. Basically learning by necessity, and applying everything I learnt along the way.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah I wouldn't worry about scales this early on, spend some time working with chords until your hands get a bit more of a feel for the guitar.

In the early stages of learning just holding down a single note and getting it to ring clearly can be a battle in itself, so even a relatively slow lead part can feel downright impossible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And finger exercises too and get use to using all 4 fingers of your left hand going up and down the frets till you can do it rather fast, this is done not just for speed but to strengthen your fingers, and yea don,t bother with scales, that will put you off learning the guitar, stick with learning the basic chords and find songs that have basic chords that you can learn, the more you learn basic at the beginning if you stick to it, you will defiantly learn quick and pick up things as you go, just don,t give up and keep learning. just look for easy songs to learn and in no time you will start playing great. Good Luck.
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Techniques
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Learn to play to a metronome. It will help you a lot to develop proper timing. Also, learn the 5 minor pentatonic scales. They're easy to learn and will give you a boost on your solo playing.
ayreon77Thanks both Steve Seagul and ayreon77! I downloaded the app and am going up and down the neck and attempting the chords. I can see what you mean as just the chords and transitioning from one to another for example is a work in progress as I have a solid delay as I switch. I watched some videos on music theory which is interesting but it is making me develop additional questions. Thank you guys for your time in responding. I am exited about the forum here and the what seems like endless tabs. I will make that make that my practice routine for now until I progress to being able to do it with speed and accuracy. I am trying to approach it as a regiment doing it daily, thanks again!
And learn songs!!

If there is a technique you want to learn, say smooth hammer-ons and pull-offs, you find a song with that technique, say something by Buckley, and lear that. IMHO that's the best way to keep inspired, learn techniques, increase your repertoire and grow as a player.
Quote by emmettn19
ayreon77Thanks both Steve Seagul and ayreon77! I downloaded the app and am going up and down the neck and attempting the chords. I can see what you mean as just the chords and transitioning from one to another for example is a work in progress as I have a solid delay as I switch. I watched some videos on music theory which is interesting but it is making me develop additional questions. Thank you guys for your time in responding. I am exited about the forum here and the what seems like endless tabs. I will make that make that my practice routine for now until I progress to being able to do it with speed and accuracy. I am trying to approach it as a regiment doing it daily, thanks again!

All the theory stuff will start making more sense once your ear develops and you have more practical knowledge of music. As people have said, focusing on chords and just learning to play songs is what I think you should do right now. Get some practical knowledge of music by playing music.

If you have any theory related questions, just ask us. But it will start making more sense when you have a better ear and you've got some of the basics down.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 2, 2016,