So I'm trying to find a good amp as an alternative for the Fender Eighty-Five. I will just be using the clean channel and I will be using a Rat II with a Boss GE-7 for distortion (I'm aiming for Jonny Greenwoods distortion tone from "the bends"). Are there any amps that simulate the clean channel of the Fender 85? Preferably a 1x12.

An example (the humbucker clean tones is what I'm looking for):

Thanks for helping me if you do
look into music man. they are hybrid (tube power amp) but have really nice cleans, and headroom for days.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

Thanks for the reply! What music man amp should I get? I looked around and I couldn't find too many around on the internet.
check out the demos. i like my HD130 and 100RD alot. you can find them for under $300 in decent shape if you look. they are cool amps, and don't really get a lot of attention.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup

These amps sound great and I'm totally down to get one of them. But, I'm saving up for it, so I might not get it in a long time, and since Music Man don't make them anymore, there might not be any of those amps that I can get once I have enough money. What do you think I can do about that?
MM haven't made amps for thirty years, it's not like the used market is magically going to dry up now. You'll be fine. There are plenty out there!
Roc8995

Good point! :P

Someone on another forum recommended I try a Fender Deluxe 112. They're on the used market for less than $200, and they sound real similar to the 85. What do you think about that suggestion?
Quote by Roc8995
MM haven't made amps for thirty years, it's not like the used market is magically going to dry up now. You'll be fine. There are plenty out there!

unless i get to them first. lol.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

$500 shipped @ https://reverb.com/item/2939140-ernie-ball-music-man-seventy-five-head-70-s-black-gray

as far s the HRD's go, i won't say they are bad, but they never impressed me. some people like them a lot. check them out, they are everywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I have a HRD. It's a nice amp for cleans, and takes pedals well. Just never use the dirt channel on one wlithout doing this:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Also consider the Carvin Nomad (112) or Belair (212)

The Peavey Delta Blues 115 (also comes in a 210)

The Reverend Hellhound

And the Supro Thunderbolt +
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
I don't know if prefer tube or SS amps..

I like my USA made Peavey Envoy 110 silver stripe (modded with 12" speaker).. and USA made teal stripe.. the Transtube tech is very good. for my ears anyways.. I prefer the vintage USA made.. but I think that is just me..

The Bandit red stripe is also very good.

Btw, isn't the Boss GE7 an equalizer and not an OD or distortion pedal?

TC Electronic Mojo Mojo OD, Dark Matter distortion.. Digitech Screamin Blues OD/distortion.. GCP Cornstar plexi booster.. DOD Boneshaker to name a few.. I will add more pedals that I own which may give you the sound you want.

EHX English Muffin (tube OD pedal) -has large footprint.. I place it separately from my board. Digitech Bad Monkey with Gorilla Mod by Modest Mike (bass).. I think GCP Cornstar is a boost plexi OD type.. but sounds great.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 1, 2016,
psp742

I would like a SS amp for this one, but if someone suggests a tube amp, I'll have an open mind about it. And yeah, the GE-7 is an EQ pedal, and I'm using it with the Pro Co Rat 2 to boost the mids and cut out some of the fizzy highs of my tone.
The older Peavey Bandit 60-watts should be loud enough for events.. but if you need more wattage.. Peavey Bandit 212 (2x 12") but prepare for back aches.. even with push trolley, you would still need to carry it.. that is why I chose Envoy 110 USA made.. the original 10" Blue Marvel speaker is adequate but thankfully the person I bought it from mod it with a 12" Peavey speaker.. I have never needed to crank it up to 10.. these older vintage amps are really nice.

If you are able to try a DOD Boneshaker pedal.. I suggest you do.. the added parameters really shapes your sound.. I just use is almost like a boost..

(sorry, i typed on my android phone and somehow the forum said i need to download the app.. i edit with macbook now)
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Boneshakers are cool. Want one.

alhaq369
Quote by kaiburns1
So I'm trying to find a good amp as an alternative for the Fender Eighty-Five. I will just be using the clean channel and I will be using a Rat II with a Boss GE-7 for distortion (I'm aiming for Jonny Greenwoods distortion tone from "the bends"). Are there any amps that simulate the clean channel of the Fender 85? Preferably a 1x12.

An example (the humbucker clean tones is what I'm looking for):

Thanks for helping me if you do

there is a very rude hole in his pants i think you should remove that video before offending anyone. Ive reported it to youtube anyway.
Deluxe 112 is going to disappoint. A HRD, Blues Jr, or Super Champ X2 would deliver the clean tone you want and are reasonably affordable. Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors, and go get one!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 1, 2016,
The
Quote by kaiburns1
psp742

Hmm, I'm not that into Peavey amps... they feel really cheap to me.

The newer Peaveys, i actually don't have an idea on their quality.. i prefer the vintage made in USA Peavey, now those are heavy duty built like tanks and they sound great too. If you have a local guitar center, check their USED amp section and test Bandit 112 or Bandit 212 or Chorus 212 or Classic 212. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy.. (It all depends if the amp is 100% operational without mods).. i'm sure you will be surprised how good they sound.. NOTE: the teal stripe is the oldest version, followed by silver stripe, and red stripe is third USA release, some prefer the red, personally i like silver.. to each his own i guess.
Cajundaddy

The deluxe 112 sounds great for what I want to do with it, what do you think is bad about it?
Quote by kaiburns1
Cajundaddy

The deluxe 112 sounds great for what I want to do with it, what do you think is bad about it?

Well it is a very low cost, solid state, knockoff of a Deluxe Reverb. If you think Peaveys have low build quality, get a close look at this one. If only playing squeaky clean country pickin' or jazz, it might be ok as a cheap practice amp. As soon as you put OD pedals in front it gets nasty and hurts my ears. Total disappointment for a rock guitarist. A Blues Jr or Super Champ sounds WAY better if you use pedals. JMHO
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 2, 2016,
Cajundaddy

But would it get me a good Radiohead tone with a Rat? That's the main tone I'm after, and Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead used a cheap solid state Fender amp. I've heard many people say it's good, and now I'm confused as hell, lol
Cajundaddy

This is what someone on another forum said about the Deluxe 112:

"I don't know much about the Fender 85 but I did have a Fender Deluxe 112 for a decade and it was a very nice clean sound. And for a solid state amp I will say there are MUCH worse over-driven tones out there too. I've thought about picking another one up just for a back-up. They're not expensive and they're certainly a yeomanly workhorse amp for sure. Whether it'll nail all the sounds you're looking for or not is another question, but it is a pretty good vehicle for pedals. I will say you should probably look for dirt boxes that get the overdrive/distortion sound IN the pedal itself as opposed to boxes that just overload the amp with more gain and get the sound by clipping the amp itself. Solid state amps produce clipping that is decidedly "unmusical" to a lot of people in comparison to overdriven tube amps. But if you're after a Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead, or even just post-rock ambient shoegaze type sound that digital clipping type of crunch might suit you just fine.

I would buy the amp without hesitation - then go to a guitar store with a wide variety of stomp boxes and some patience for people who like to test-drive, lol. A multi-fx unit of some kind into a Fender Deluxe 112 might be the best way to go. Something where you can sculpt and craft your distortion until you find the right sound."

and the Rat 2 along with a Boss GE-7 (to boost the mids and cut the fizziness) does have that sound, so, what do you think about that?
The red knob Fender eighty-five is a pretty good SS amp that takes pedals well but Greenwoood is known for using Twins, Super Reverbs and AC30s. His signature sound also comes from quality tube amps, not just SS. If it were my dough... Super Champ by far over the Deluxe 112 at about the same price used.

It's your dough so choose wisely. If you just have the Jones for a Deluxe 112, go buy one and let us know how it works for you. I didn't care for it with pedals in front but you could buy a much worse amp for $150.

http://thekingofgear.com/jonny

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 2, 2016,
Cajundaddy

Well Jonny's main distortion does come from the Marshall Shredmaster and the Fender 85 SS amp, and the twins and AC30's were his clean amps. I've got an AC30 but I'm looking for the Fender tone you can hear in that video. And there's no super champ 1x12.

Any other suggestions for a 1x12 amp that can get me the clean tones of the Fender 85?
kaiburns1

Sounds like you are already sold. Go for it!

How about a Quilter Aviator Gold? It comes in a variety of configs, including a 112

alhaq369
The Quilter is pretty sweet. Hard to find at $150 tho

Didn't notice a budget.

While I'm a it, the Quilter MicroPro is good, too.

alhaq369
Quote by kaiburns1
Cajundaddy

Maybe, lol. But do you recommend any other amps that sound like the Fender 85?

Yes, see post #20