I've been thinking about what my dream amp would be and i've come to the conclusion that I'm not sure yet. The requirements would be as follows:
Good overdrive sound for metal
The ability to do metal and good clear cleans
Tone(ability to do machine head, devildriver, SYL, gojira, tool are main goals for tone)
Loose thick wall of sound saturated gain but ability to tighten up and do more modern metal as well
Ability to sound good at lower volumes (somewhat negotiable)

What you guys think would be my ideal amp in your experience? Anything that could be found under $2000 used. Overdrive/eq pedal ect to achieve tone is acceptable.

Some of the amps I have been researching as potential candidates are mesa mark iii, mark iv, engl amps ect. I don't have the funds to seriously consider buying an amazing amp yet, but I do have a tone in my head I hope to find some day. I just thought it would be an interesting fantasy.
Last edited by tsuzu01 at Nov 30, 2016,
Diamond Amps.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Two amps that I think tick all of those boxes are the Mesa Royal Atlantic (I think they were about $1850 new), and the Engl Retro 100.

Both are amazing amps, and definitely equipped to go all the way to death metal, despite their misleading names. Both have beautiful cleans; absolutely stellar, with the edge going to the Mesa.

If I were to pick from the two, I'd go with the RA. I liked it better than than the Mark series and the Rectifier series, as its high-gain tone fit somewhere in between -- not quite as massive as a Rec, but definitely thicker and ballsier than the Mark series which sometimes sounds too tight for me. And it also had awesome lighter crunch sounds.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
When I asked myself a similar question I ended up with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier ROADSTER - this is not your run of mill Dual Rec. Fender Cleans, Tweeds, Mark I Fat, 50s-60s Marshalls, and then the Raw/Vintage/Modern modes of a Dual Rec but a bit darker and smoother. Lush reverb, different power modes, solo boosts, rectification options, etc. I picked mine up as a 212 combo used for $1,100. They are readily available under $2,000.

Engl makes some great amps as well that are very versatile. Availability is limited where I am in the states but the computer sims of the PowerBall II I use in ReValver are awesome.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Fryette Sig:X
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 8Len8
Diamond Amps.

^This! Problem solved.

http://www.diamondamplification.com/heretic
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Thanks for all the suggestions guys I've heard some clips of dual rectifiers recently and I have to say although it sounds loose, it has that undeniable massive sound to it that I really like. What's the consensus on the dual rec? I know somebody suggested roadster which is in the same ballpark.
Last edited by tsuzu01 at Dec 1, 2016,
Depends on which Dual Rec. I was not a fan of the 3 channel dual rec. I did really like the rectoverb though. I have never played a roadster but I have heard they are amazing.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
Hmm, what about the older 2 channel dual recs? Also I just had the most horrible thing in the world happen a few days ago. This guy was selling a dual rectifier rack mount head for $300 cash because he didn't know what he had, and somebody else beat me to it. I called mesa and they said based on the serial number it was a legit revision g from 1998. I'm still pissed about it.
Last edited by tsuzu01 at Dec 1, 2016,
Quote by tsuzu01
Hmm, what about the older 2 channel dual recs? Also I just had the most horrible thing in the world happen a few days ago. This guy was selling a dual rectifier rack mount head for $300 cash because he didn't know what he had, and somebody else beat me to it. I called mesa and they said based on the serial number it was a legit revision g from 1998. I'm still pissed about it.

I have both the older Dual and Triple 2-channel Rectos and both sound massive. They pair very nicely with the EVM-12L speaker (200 or 300W) and you won't be disappointed with V30s, too.

I prefer the Triple when playing 7 or 8 strings because it does better with the low Mids and Lows and the Dual for 6 strings. Cleans are passable. The Roadster and RoadKing II (which I have) have very nice Cleans. They work very well with V30s or EVM-12Ls.
Quote by Ippon
I have both the older Dual and Triple 2-channel Rectos and both sound massive. They pair very nicely with the EVM-12L speaker (200 or 300W) and you won't be disappointed with V30s, too.

I prefer the Triple when playing 7 or 8 strings because it does better with the low Mids and Lows and the Dual for 6 strings. Cleans are passable. The Roadster and RoadKing II (which I have) have very nice Cleans. They work very well with V30s or EVM-12Ls.
Cool, i'm really thinking I would like the dual rectifier reborn with the multi watt option. Do you have any experience or opinions on it?
Randall RM100 with boutique modules from Jaded Faith or Salvation.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tsuzu01
Cool, i'm really thinking I would like the dual rectifier reborn with the multi watt option. Do you have any experience or opinions on it?

Some folks here really dislike the 3-channel version prior to the Reborn; however, I was able to dial in what I wanted. It appears that people consider the Reborn's 2nd and 3rd channel (which I haven't tried) "better" than the prior model. You need to audition both.

You might also consider waiting for Mesa's latest, the Triple Crown TC-50: http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-50/index.html I plan to audition this beast.

For what you play, I'd seriously consider the RA-100.
Machine head used 6505 peavey on many of their albums, it not always easy to emulate different bands with one amp if they are using different amps.

I have a 6505+ 120w head running through a 4X12 with Eminence SwampThang and Texas Heat (2 each) and it is a beast for metal the cleans however leave a bit to be desired this can be remedied to an extent with the proper tubes.

I'll give a nod though to the Mesa Roadster I have a 2X12 combo loaded with V30's and it is the most versitle amp I have ever owned from crystal cleans to brutal high gain and all of the overdrive and crunch in between. When I plug it into my 4X12 Eminence loaded cab it will melt your face off and then sooth it with chimey bell like cleans!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 2, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Machine head used 6505 peavey on many of their albums, it not always easy to emulate different bands with one amp if they are using different amps.

I have a 6505+ 120w head running through a 4X12 with Eminence SwampThang and Texas Heat (2 each) and it is a beast for metal the cleans however leave a bit to be desired this can be remedied to an extent with the proper tubes.

I'll give a nod though to the Mesa Roadster I have a 2X12 combo loaded with V30's and it is the most versitle amp I have ever owned from crystal cleans to brutal high gain and all of the overdrive and crunch in between. When I plug it into my 4X12 Eminence loaded cab it will melt your face off and then sooth it with chimey bell like cleans!
Nice roadster sounds like something I would really enjoy.
I have my eyes set mostly on the roadster/dual recs, that's definitely the tone I like. I have a question for anybody that has experience with both the 1990's dual recs and the newer dual rec multi watt heads. How do they compare? Which would fit my music style best? Which is more massive and powerful sounding on the gain channel? Cleans are important to me so i'm leaning towards the dual rec multi watt, but if the older 90's rec absolutely crushes the multi watt rec on the gain channel, I will have to reconsider that. That's for all the help guys, I have gotten a ton of great feedback, and it's set me towards finding my ideal tone for sure.
I have played older dual recs and they are badass for sure but crushing the new ones with gain? Absolutely not. I'll also add that to my ears the Roadster has a bit darker voicing on gain channels where the dual rec 3 channel was a bit brighter although it could possibly been due to different speakers.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I have played older dual recs and they are badass for sure but crushing the new ones with gain? Absolutely not. I'll also add that to my ears the Roadster has a bit darker voicing on gain channels where the dual rec 3 channel was a bit brighter although it could possibly been due to different speakers.
That's good to hear about the new recs. I just wanted to make sure the new multwatt dual sounds as good as the older 2 channel duals.
Quote by Cathbard
Randall RM100 with boutique modules from Jaded Faith or Salvation.

I'd guess I would have to go this route.
AC30 for cleans.
For dirt, maybe a Mesa MKIV.
Although I really like the sound of whatever Friedman amp I heard at the L.A. Amp show back in 2011