Im a total moron when it comes to electronics (couldn't tell you an ohm from a gnome), and I'd like to "downsize" my rig. I'm currently running a Digitech GSP-2101 powered by a Rocktron Velocity-100 amplifier to a H&K 112 cab. I don't perform, I just like to noodle with guitar...and the cab is too cumbersome for my tiny practice room. I was thinking about just ditching the whole setup and going with a Line 6 POD or a Korg Pandora PX-series (if I could find one for sale) and just use headphones...but I REALLY like the sounds from the GSP-2101. So my question is...

Can I use passive speaker(s) with my current setup, and ditch the 112 cab?

If so, what would be a decent (relatively inexpensive) speaker to replace the 112, and will I need any additional equipment to facility this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If you are using the Rocktron Amp to power the H&K cab, the cab is a passive cab. A 1x12 is about as small as you can get for guitar speakers to get proper bass response.
i would get a POD and some decent studio monitors for when you want to make noise, and headphones when you don't.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Flight_Medic
I'd ditch the whole setup and go with a POD and a small PA or studio monitors as has been mentioned. I've been told (forgive any inaccuracies here) that there are issues with running the POD through a guitar amp and getting it to sound like it does when you test it through your PC. Running a POD through regular full response speakers sounds good, but when you hook it up to a guitar amp you have to adjust it to the response of the amp it's being connected to. I've never connected a POD to a guitar amp, but I did like the sound through a behringer eurolive B615D. Good luck!

JM
Quote by Will Lane
If you are using the Rocktron Amp to power the H&K cab, the cab is a passive cab. A 1x12 is about as small as you can get for guitar speakers to get proper bass response.

I understand what you're saying, but if I'm considering a Pandora through earbuds then "proper" bass response is a secondary concern. So, taking the bass response out of the scenario, IS there a smaller speaker I can use with the Digitech?

Could I bypass the Rocktron and go straight out of the Digitech to an ACTIVE speaker??
Flight_Medic

Yes. Out of the Digitech and into an active speaker should work fine. I do this often with a Vox Tonelab LE Multi effects pedal.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis