Please could anyone advise me on the advantages and disadvantages of P90 vs Humbucking pickups? I hear things like open, muddy, etc. and can only attempt to guess what sound is actually attributed to this. I know what sounds muddy to me, but are the two actually the same. Can a P90, especially in the neck posistion provide good throaty (now I'm at it with the descriptives) distortion? Would it push the amp hard enough, could I reproduce this throaty sound with a P90 and a good pedal if the amp isn't pushed hard enough?

I'm not particuarly a heavy metal fan, but I'm after something not dissimiliar to a Metallica, Enter Sandman power chords stuff.

Thank you

andytl755

P-90s are great. The dirtiest tones I get out mine? Think Seek & Destroy by Metallica, it nails that tone to a T.

Don't expect death metal or hardcore stuff though.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
P90's have a growl that single coil and humbuckers can't seem to get.. It's great for some genre but not for others.. i don't own any guitars with P90, but i did purchase Rose Pickups Morticia (P90 in single coil set.. Ken's take on P90)
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
P90s can do distortion.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz

Yup, they can get pretty dirty, but they have such a sweet side to them too....
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
I'd recommend listening to youtube samples. Honestly I have a strat and a LP with humbuckers; the p90s would be kinda in-between to where I'm not sure when I would actually pick them over the other 2 guitars.

A good compromise is a bucker in bridge and p90 in neck, but they won't blend as well mid-song when switching between them
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
NewDayHappy

Oh most definitely.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

21GunSalute

Depends on how well you match them when installing them. I have a set from The Creamery in a custom guitar. Quite nicely balanced.

See also:

Reverend Double Agent

Double Agent OG

G&L Fallout.

Nik Huber Krautster II

p90s can definitely get pretty dirty. depending on the model the output is normally similar to a humbucker (i.e. vintage p90 output is normally in the ballpark of vintage paf output, while hot p90s are similar to hot humbucker in terms of output etc. etc.).

only real problems are the noise and in my (limited) experience i don't find p90s to be as tight-sounding as humbuckers for high gain. but in terms of the output there's no problem really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?