hello guys sorry for my bad english.

I have a sennheiser hd 380 pro, which is listed as having 54 ohm resistance. With my scarlett 2i2 interface, it seems that the interface doesnt give enough power to push the hd380 pro up and is sounds weak right now .

I would like to ask if I need an headphone amplifier? If yes, what kind of amplifier is recommended.
I wanma have it in a budget less than 100 bucks.

Sorry if this topic is a bit far from recording techniques.
I would think the 2i2 should have enough power to get a reasonable amount of volume from your headphones. I presume you have tried just gunning the headphone level output. The Input/Playback knob adjusts the mix between the two (if I'm correct), make sure your sound source (whichever side it is) has enough volume there to make the master headphone output usable. I do notice volume drop between SE215's (17 ohms) and my AKG K240 Studio (60ish ohms) but not enough to make the AKG's unusable.
Will Lane

thanks for the reply. yea i also notice a significant volume drop when i change my output from a low resistance ear phone to hd 380 pro. I was just afraid that the resistance will affects the performance of frequencies come from the hd380 pro. in other words, i want to know will the high resistance cut out the mids and lows and make the sound bad compare to the coneection with headphone amplifier . thank you very much
Quote by wilson217
Will Lane

thanks for the reply. yea i also notice a significant volume drop when i change my output from a low resistance ear phone to hd 380 pro. I was just afraid that the resistance will affects the performance of frequencies come from the hd380 pro. in other words, i want to know will the high resistance cut out the mids and lows and make the sound bad compare to the coneection with headphone amplifier . thank you very much
My short answer is no. IIRC headphones with really high impedance can cause issues but at 54 ohms you should be fine.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 2, 2016,